Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
I got a breeding pair from a breeder in Hermanus. A beautiful, pure pair. Then I bought 3 hens from a local breeder in Kalbaskraal, but they are not 100% pure, since they are the light red "production" variety. The Pet shop is at nr 81 Voortrekker road in Parow, across the road from a tyre place called "Koenic". It's a small corner shop, but the lady there named Lynre breeds and sometimes has chicks available in the pet shop. Also some mature roosters but not any mature hens
hmm.png

Thank you very much I'll check the shop out the production and the pure ones lay the same amount of eggs so for me it does'nt really matter.I am trying to breed the perfect free range egg laying chicken
smile.png

Hi I might be a bit late joining this thread, but I'm also from Cape Town - we live on a smallholding in Philadelphia which is between Melkbosstrand and Malmesbury. I currently have Rhode Island Reds and Silkies - which I love at least... I see they're not popular with you guys! Just bought a few Lohman hybrid chicks to raise as layers as well. The silkies are great as "natural incubators" as they go broody quite often and make great mothers. I like the prospect of naturally hatched and raised chicks
smile.png
Anyways, I am still looking to add some Light Sussex, Koekoek and Buff Orpington to my lot. I know there is a pet shop in Voortrekker road Parow, where I got my Lohmans from. The lady there breeds Koekoek and genuine Light Sussex as well as the Lohman (which is a commercially bred layer). Hmmm I might also go pop in at that show in Worcester!
hey and welcome. Silkies are great broodies. In the UK they cross silkies with light sussex to create something called a gold top. They are adorable and great broodies. Here is a pic of one from BYC.

Last edited:
Thank you very much I'll check the shop out the production and the pure ones lay the same amount of eggs so for me it does'nt really matter.I am trying to breed the perfect free range egg laying chicken
smile.png
you will have to add some plymouth rock then. They are great layers, very active, very healthy and good natured. They lay more then leg horns too. Also nice if you also want darker eggs.

Hey, thanks for joining and sharing Esti!
I do love ALL chickens!! I am NOT a silkie-hater!! I just prefer big guys with clean legs!!
I have a mixed breed Rhode Island Rooster who I raised as a pet and he is sooo sweet and protective of his three girls! The other day there was a mongoose at the fence and he kept positioning himself between the mongoose and his wives and puffed himslef up and strutted around to chase him away making alarm calls! How sweet?!? He's fearless, he also harasses my dogs when he's feeling especially frisky in the morning (an alsation and a boerbull mix!!) and then at night he lies on my shoulder and sleeps!!
love.gif
Oh I love him so much!!!

Thanks,but I don't know where to get some.

Yeah, they can be difficult to find. The easiest way for you to find them, is to ask at the show for a breeders directory, i know there are breeders showing plymouth rock at the cape show, but i think they are only showing bantams. But if you ask the club members at the show they will point you in the right direction.

Most club members are only too happy to talk about their birds, and some genuinely want to help people starting off.

If my memory is correct, the the Worcester show is this week coming up? That will be a big show, and you will definitely get great info and connections there.

Back
Top Bottom