CHICKEN MATH STRIKES AGAIN

This is so funny. We decided to get 4 chickens, I wanted silkies, so off to the feed store we went. We ended up buying 4 Silkies. I went online the next day, and saw a lady selling OE chicks on Craigslist. Bought 4 of those,we were told that many times some baby chicks won't make it- we haven't lost any yet. (4+4=8). Had my hubby go to the feed store for more food a few weeks late, he came home with two more, an Australorp, and a Silver laced Wyandotte. (8+2=10) All of the Silkies and one OE turned out to be roosters, we found a lady that would take them, and guess what.... She was selling chicks. We bought 2 Silkies, 2 D'ucle's, and a Standard Cochin. (10-5+5=10). A few months later we got tired of waiting for eggs, saw a lady on Craiglist selling a Barred Rock- that was laying *score!!* (10+1=11). A few months after that we saw an ad for someone that had a free chicken- it was a pet and her son didn't want to take care of it anymore. (11+1=12)

We were really good for a while. My dad and I talked about going in together on some Cornish X. I would raise them, and he would take care of the processing. So we ordered from Mc Murray. Now when you order from Mc Murray you have to order 25 chickens, so we ordered 21 Cornish X, and 4 layers. We ended up getting 22 Cornish X and 4 layer plus our Mystery chick.
(12+27=39) But the Cornish X don't really count, because they arn't going to be with us all that long, and 3 of the laying chicks are going to my dad. Went to the feed store and ended up buying 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte, and 1 EE -- Just in case some of the chicks didn't make it. (39+4=43). A couple days later one of my layer chicks got hurt. Some one pecked at the back of her neck, so I had to seperate her from the rest of them. She was really sad and lonely, so the only solution was to get her a couple of friends, that were smaller and more gentle. We went to the feed store to get her some friends. Got 2 Ameraucana's. (43+2=45)

Wow, it's kinda scary seeing it all written down, maybe I do have a problem. At least it's a fun one.

This is so funny. We decided to get 4 chickens, I wanted silkies, so off to the feed store we went. We ended up buying 4 Silkies. I went online the next day, and saw a lady selling OE chicks on Craigslist. Bought 4 of those,we were told that many times some baby chicks won't make it- we haven't lost any yet. (4+4=8). Had my hubby go to the feed store for more food a few weeks late, he came home with two more, an Australorp, and a Silver laced Wyandotte. (8+2=10) All of the Silkies and one OE turned out to be roosters, we found a lady that would take them, and guess what.... She was selling chicks. We bought 2 Silkies, 2 D'ucle's, and a Standard Cochin. (10-5+5=10). A few months later we got tired of waiting for eggs, saw a lady on Craiglist selling a Barred Rock- that was laying *score!!* (10+1=11). A few months after that we saw an ad for someone that had a free chicken- it was a pet and her son didn't want to take care of it anymore. (11+1=12)

We were really good for a while. My dad and I talked about going in together on some Cornish X. I would raise them, and he would take care of the processing. So we ordered from Mc Murray. Now when you order from Mc Murray you have to order 25 chickens, so we ordered 21 Cornish X, and 4 layers. We ended up getting 22 Cornish X and 4 layer plus our Mystery chick.
(12+27=39) But the Cornish X don't really count, because they arn't going to be with us all that long, and 3 of the laying chicks are going to my dad. Went to the feed store and ended up buying 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte, and 1 EE -- Just in case some of the chicks didn't make it. (39+4=43). A couple days later one of my layer chicks got hurt. Some one pecked at the back of her neck, so I had to seperate her from the rest of them. She was really sad and lonely, so the only solution was to get her a couple of friends, that were smaller and more gentle. We went to the feed store to get her some friends. Got 2 Ameraucana's. (43+2=45)

Wow, it's kinda scary seeing it all written down, maybe I do have a problem. At least it's a fun one.

I agree it is a fun habit. My wife loves to have variety in our coops so we also have a lot of different breeds. It's fun to wake up and see all the color in the yard.

It would be hard for me to start at the very beginning when I first got my first rooster a little over 2 yrs ago. I have hatched out so many and keeps a lot, butchered some, sold some and the math keeps going. right now we are at 45, and it is something like this: 37 in the coop with a break down of 24 hens, 7 roosters, and 6 chicks, then there are 12 teens in the other pen. there are two chicks in a box in the bathroom and we are going to have more egg hatching out late this month early next.With chicken math you really never had a set number to have.

Well, it got me again,lol. We got down to 27 during the fall months, now we have 12 about 8 weeks old, plus 17 3 weeks old, and 10 more on the way for march the 7th. We also have 30 eggs in the incubator, we are chicken crazy. We want them all,lol.
I feel you man i have the same problem

Thats 2 cute

I'm new here, but it seems chicken math is closely related strain of fabric stashes, LOL. I have closets FULL of fabric stashes, for that next project that only gets half done because the weather gets good and I don't want to be inside. So my DH and I went to town today to get a 6 chicks, and came home with 21. I am going back on Monday for 4 more because 21 is a weird number.

I started only wanting 6 layers, now 16 months on this trip and I have about 30. Have a order coming of 25 ameraucanas and another order of a mix of poultry for a gift for mom....but they needed at least 15 chick and I ended up ordering almost 25. ...need to start building this summer.

Yesterday we went down to a place near us that just opened, called the Poultry Palace- we went for replacments for two 1 month old chicks we lost to a coyote and our own stupidity, turned out he only sold juveniles (the ones he had then were 8 wks). There was such an amazing selection of breeds that we couldn't get away with just two (it was especially awesome that he had so manyt different breeds because he only had about two dozen chickens there), so we ended up with a SLW, a GLW, and Golden Lakenvelder, and a Turken... because if you lose two chickens the obvious solution is two buy four to replace them. So now we have exactly 20 chickens. Woo-hoo!

So I did some farm work to help out a friend under the agreement of 12 chicks. Now I won't name a name, but she then went back on her word and said "So you wanted 20 chicks, right?"

I guess I can't argue. I plan to have 40 this time next year. I'm sure 40 is going to be a low ball park figure.

Chicken math strikes again . i went by local school today who i gave eggs for hatching project for tag class, i promised my wife i wouldnt bring any home because i have 7- 4 week olds in my den. well now i have 5 more 6 day olds wife not happy. thanks chicken math.

Back
Top Bottom