Color genetics thread.

T
With a silver rooster, the offspring will all be silver, but the males from the gold hen can carry gold gene and may (or may not) show some red leakage.

Thank you, WVduckchick. That's what I was wanting to know, just wishing it was the hens that got the red leakage, as those are the ones I'll be keeping. More fun to be able to identify individuals by markings than leg bands! Thanks again for the info. If I get interesting markings on these chicks (and the next clutch is due this month), I'll post pictures. If they all look like silvers, no point in it.

@WVduckchick "With a silver rooster, the offspring will all be silver, but the males from the gold hen can carry gold gene and may (or may not) show some red leakage".

On a forwarding thought, if I kept a Silver rooster that has the red leakage (thus proof he is from a Gold hen) and he bred gold hens, can he pass the gold gene so there would be a chance for more golds? I guess I'm sad that I'll have no more golds ever with this closed flock as it stands right now.

Whatever the rooster is is what he will produce no matter if he's bred to silver or gold hens.
If he is silver/silver he produces all silver pullets.
If he is gold/gold he produces all gold pullets
If he is silver/gold he produces 1/2 silver pullets And half gold pullets

Whatever the rooster is is what he will produce no matter if he's bred to silver or gold hens.
If he is silver/silver he produces all silver pullets.
If he is gold/gold he produces all gold pullets
If he is silver/gold he produces 1/2 silver pullets And half gold pullets

So I have a male chick that is Silver/Gold (Silver Roo/Gold Hen). I breed him to a Gold Hen and he has 50% chance for Gold Pullets? Just checking that I understand correctly. Fingers crossed. Thank you!

So I have a male chick that is Silver/Gold (Silver Roo/Gold Hen). I breed him to a Gold Hen and he has 50% chance for Gold Pullets? Just checking that I understand correctly. Fingers crossed. Thank you!

That is correct. And he would have 50% chance for gold pullets if he was bred to a silver hen also.

Back
Top Bottom