Colorado

I think a before and after video is in order because what I have pictured in my brain is something out of Foghorn Leghorn and Sylvester all up on stage. So is it a garbled crow that would be problematic to listen to I wonder?

From what I've been reading, it puts pressure on their vocal cords so they still crow, but it's greatly reduced. Sounds interesting. We can have any chickens we want up here, but since our neighbors are close I was trying to figure out how to reduce the noise.

I think I could make one pretty quick. Just need velcro and some jersey cloth. Just can't find time to get to the store...

I remember seeing a Denver Post article about a woman on the eastern plains, out by Brighton or farther east, that has a "rescue" of sorts for roosters. I wonder if more people who live out could do such things. Us "City Ruled" folks don't have a choice. boo hiss!

ps to Mo sorry for your loss.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Funny video. 

I had her under my arm and I was walking to the garage to get the knife and I feel her shudder and I think to myself; that felt like a death shutter when the  blood drains out of a bird. I put my hand on her heart and I feel it vibrating and she was dead.

I guess I had to type this out to tell someone who would understand both sides of chicken keeping. The bitter and the sweet.
mo
worry for your loss, as least you were able to be there and hold her. Still hard!

Okay so I have some concerns and need advice. Menchi and Zoe mostly ignore the two new girls, I can let them out and they coexist with no issues. Arry on the other hand is extremely aggressive and tries to kill them any chance she gets, she will charge them when they are in there cage and when they got out she went for blood. she is very skiddish with me, I had to stop her a few times and I fear I might have been a little rough on her in my attempts to protect the little ones. So, how do I get her to calm down and not attack the little ones and be less skiddish around me?????? She is not aggressive with the other big girls just the new ones, in fact she is the lowest pecking order with them. I am worried I will have to re-home her if I can't get her under control.

I would put her in timeout until the little ones are bigger if you really want to keep her. Some hens are just more aggressive towards newcomers. I had two that were horrible when they were younger (2yrs) and now that they are older (5) , they are great with everyone,
even baby meaties that sneak into the big flocks pen. No one in my flock even gives them a look but maybe they are now used to having little chicks running around.

My lowest on the pecking order always pick on the new/young chicks. I think that is their job, isn't it?
I just make sure there is enough food stations for everyone and some hiding places for the little/new birds. By the time everyone is laying they all have it worked out.
I have never had blood or anyone really hurt. I think I would put a bird on time out if they were really mean and if that didn't work I wold process them or rehome them. I don't know how I would feel about rehoming a mean bird. I would have to cross that bridge when I got to it.
Good luck.
mo

We decided to process a couple birds yesterday, mostly for egg laying issues. I was holding the last one, a sex-link, and when I turned her over I was horrified to see she had a prolapsed vent. I'm outside with these birds every day for hours, and had never seen any issues. I'm almost certain it was new, but was still upset. I knew they had a shorter time then other breeds, and had laid an egg almost every day, no matter the weather. But, I will not be buying anymore of that type of bird. I think it's just too hard on their bodies, and I hate the thought of only having them for a year, just to avoid this issue.
We're going to hatch some extra Cream Legbar Cochin crosses, and those will be our layers from now on. They're super pretty, and at 5-6 weeks I knew which were males already, huge combs.

She has never been mean to me or the others, just a loner. The others will pick on her from time to time(not sure if it is picking on her, since my head hen seams to have taken over the roosters job and it might just be that). She is after blood with the little ones though and does not seam to be calming down about it. I have had them outside together for an hour every day, I keep the little ones in a cage and the big girls are able to eat treats and scratch next to them. She mostly hides, and then towards the end she will come out and try to peck them through the cage, as well as squawk at them. She also has not laid since they arrived, over a month now. She is extremely stressed so I want to do what is best for her, as well as the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom