Sponsored Post Congratulations MamaNini! You won a beautiful coop from Handcrafted Coops!

We've had chickens for less than a year but by far the best thing I've learned was to change from the traditional way to give water in a store-bought container or bucket to the chicken nipple waterer in a re-purposed milk jug. No more dirty water for our chickens! The one I use is a push in-style from QC Supply (less than $1.50 each). We tried fancy contraptions with pipes connected to a 5-gallon bucket but in the end the easiest, no leak and easy to refill solution was to use a gallon size milk jug, drill a hole with a 11/32" bit in the bottom, push the grommet and nipple in, keep the lid slightly loose and simply hang on a rope with an "S" hook on the handle. The chickens took right to it, learning from each other. For our chicks I use a smaller container in their brooder and they all take to it within minutes. It's so much cleaner and the water lasts for a while, so I can leave town and not have to worry about them having to drink out of a messy water container. Thanks to BYC and all those who share their ideas...I've learned it all from here!

I don't have chickens right now, but want some really badly. Looking forward to all of the benefits of having my own coop. The crowing rooster and singing hens! And the wonderful home grown eggs!

Growing up with chickens, I remember my parents had lots to learn about chickens. Being a member of 4-H helped to give us a source for poultry health and production information. I would like to share one of my family's chicken stories. I'm sure that technology has improved since then. So please bear with me.

We had a large garden one year with a bumper crop of cucumbers. Being the sort of folks who tried not to waste anything, we fed our chickens any of our left over assorted peelings and veggie scraps. As you know, they loved them and ate them right up. Happy chickens and happy us, win win, right? Well that was until we started not having as many eggs. Started feeding them laying mash, still no increase in egg production. Still feeding them our leftover cucumber peelings. Couldn't figure out why our hens had stopped laying. Mom complained to a local farmer who laughed and asked if we were feeding them our cucumber peelings? Everyone had a bumper crop of cucumbers that year! Yes we were, why? He had had the same problem. Cucumber peelings cause the hens to stop laying. He told mom to go home and fix them a mixture of cornmeal, eggs, water and crushed red pepper flakes into a mush or baked into cornbread. This will fix your egg problem. She did like the farmer said, fed it to the hens and before long we had just as many eggs as before. Sounds crazy, but it worked for us. From then on, anytime our hens stopped laying, we would supplement their diet with red pepper flakes! Wacky, but true!

Thank you for bearing with me.
Hope this information is helpful.

The best advice I can think of is to hatch your own eggs. I don't care if you order fertilized eggs and build an incubator or raise a hen up to brood her own chicks, but either way it is an experience that you cannot miss out on, especially if you have kids. Watching a chick hatch is the best part of raising chickens.

My best advice is to make it fun from the beginning by avoiding daunting changes later. Best tips. First, either use in line water feeders for fresh water, or if you must use a jug type water system, placed your waterer on top of a square made of 2x4's and hardwire cloth, and filled with sand. This prevents the birds from drinking soiled water that often ends up around the waterer. After 6 months or so, pick up and move the box and discard of the sand that was underneath it. Second, make sure nesting boxes are dark and private, perhaps even putting a flap entry so the birds cannot see it in...this will aid in peaceful egg laying and prevent egg eating canabalism or vent pecking. Third, consider placing your nest boxes so that you can gather eggs without entering your coup so you don't have to step in the mess or transfer germs about. 4th...Apple cider vinegar and fresh garlic in their water is very good for them! 5th...Shavings (about 8 inches)and stall dry will go a long way for cleanliness. 6th...ENJOY your chickens..they can be tame wonderful creatures that come running when you call them by name. They will perch on your arm shoulder, or leg...but watch out for the warm gooey gifts they sometimes leave. Lastly...be careful not to get hooked on chickens like I have..it drives my husband nuts LOL.

best advice I can think of is do unto your birds as you want done unto you.
1. A safe, secure place from predators
2. A clean place to peck, play and perch
3. Plenty of clean , fresh water to drink.
4. shelter from the heat/cold,
5. healthy food
6. during the icy cold weather I string heads of cabbage high enough off the ground that the birds have to jump up and down to keep exercised and warm. It is also entertaining to watch them pop up and down like popcorn popping
7. I always thank them for their eggs. Just a little silly thing i do.

Grandmas gals

• If ever you need to bet on which of you will get to the coop door first, bet on the chicken every time.
  • If you have ever wondered who can run further, faster, the chicken will out run you and then lap you while you lay exhausted on the lawn.
  • The cochin you can't find is probably in the house. Again.

I think that's all the advice I'd have.

STOP...Are you sure you want to read this? You do know that if you read this, you just might want to raise some baby chicks like me and my family did..... OKAY...Here it goes......
Chickens are hilarious to watch, they are an all natural bug defense system for your yard. Also they are sweet and rewarding. You and your family will have hours of watching their funny scratching and chasing each other for that prize bug they just found. (Which reminds me of something like a no contact football game.) I can say they are just a blast to have around. When my family started raising chicks I was frightened. I didn't know the first thing about raising a chick to be a good laying hen. My first step was to find a great book, So I did. This book told me exactly what I needed to do. Oh! What a relief that was. Right now I have an extended family of 36 laying hens (with a couple cockerels in the mix.) They are 2 weeks old and as cute as a button! You see, It isn't as hard as I thought it would be.
Now... I know you can do this...... You do have your book? right?

My best advice is to start small. That has always been my advice with any type of farming. It is good to have a big plan and vision but put that on the back burner till you are sure you like raising chickens. Believe it or not there are lots of chickens out there for adoption due to over zealousness of folks.

The best advice I can give is to be resourceful!

Most backyard chicken keepers are not in it to save money and even if that was why they first started it quickly goes out the window! We all want the best for our chickens but that is no reason not to be resourceful. Before you go out and buy a brand new coop, waterer, building materials etcetera, take a look around and see what you have already that you can use.

I made a chicken coop for my dad using glass doors that I got for free from a neighbor and scrap wood I found in the dumpster! You can make waterers/feeders from buckets or milk jugs, you can often make coops or nesting boxes from unusual materials. I have seen someone turn a broken clothes dryer into a coop! Get creative, get resourceful and get on craigslist.

My girlfriend says I like to ‘McGyver’ things but the truth is, I believe in working with what you have. It not only saves money, but it saves resources and prevents waste. Why send something to the landfill when you can turn it into a nesting box?

Last edited:
My best advice for raising a backyard flock is to repurpose as much as you can. It is easy to get hung up on going out and buying a lot of stuff brand new when if you look around you may already have what you need. If you are going to build a coop yourself see if you can find and old shed or similar building to repurpose…not only will this save you time and effort it could also save you some cash. When it comes to nesting boxes find some old cabinets or shelving and divide it up accordingly this will save money and the trees from the lumber you wont have to use. If you need a feeder or water container find a bucket (that did not have anything toxic in it to begin with!) and make some adjustments. You would be surprised at how pretty some repurposed items turn out (kind of a rustic look!). Repurposing can help your wallet and the environment! Good luck with your flock everyone!

Back
Top Bottom