Consolidated Kansas

Okay, so I bought the APA SOP book a while back. I read thru it and this is what it has to say on Disqualifications (would make a cull).
"Red or yellow in any part of the plumage; two or more solid black primaries, or secondaries, or main tail feathers; shanks other than yellow or dusky yellow." So they are talking about general plumage and the wings and tail and legs on that one.

Plymouth Barred Rock

Shape on Female:
Single comb
, medium size, straight upright with evenly serrated well defined points. Stands up.
Beak moderately short and stout.
Face surface smooth, Eyes large round, prominent.
Wattles: medium in size, well rounded at lower edges, skin should be fine textured and soft.
Neck:Medium in length, arched.
Back: Rather long, broad its entire length, flat at shoulders, extending with a slightly concave incline to the tail; feathers moderately broad.
Tail: Medium length, moderately spread, carried at an angle of 20 degrees above the horizontal and forming no apparent andle with back. Main Tail Feathers: broad and overlapping. Coverts: well developed. Wings: Medium size, well folded, lower edges of folded wing nearly horizontal. Front well covered by breast feathers and points well covered by back feathers. (neatly tucked) Breast: Broad, moderately deep, well rounded. Body and Fluff: rather long, moderately deep, keel extending well to front and rear of legs. Fluff--medium in length, moderately full. Legs and toes: legs set well apart and straight when viewed from front. Lower thighs: large medium in length, well feathered, smooth. Shanks: medium in length, smooth, stout. Toes-- medium in length, straight, well spread, four in number on each foot.

Male:

The only difference I'm seeing is the back and tail:

Back: Rather long, broad it's entire length, flat at shoulder, nearly horizontal from neck to saddle, then showing a slight concave sweep to tail.
Tail: Medium length, moderately spread carried at an angle of 30 degrees above horizontal, and forming no apparent angle with back.

Define "Concave"-- Curving inwards, like a bowl, arched in

Economic Qualities: Dual purpose bird for production of eggs and meat, color of skin, yellow; color of eggs brown. Tints of shells may vary in shade depending on strain and on the stage of production. Overlarge specimens are not to be desired, they become clumsy and poor producers. They are not the active useful fowl desired for this dual purpose breed. Quality of feather is of great importance.

Beak color: Yellow
Eye color: Reddish Bay.

Note: The barred color pattern as it is expressed in the Barred Plymouth Rock is due to a sex linked gene. Therefore the male carries 2 copies of the gene and the female, one copy. This accounts for the slightly lighter overal appearance of the male.

(isn't that interesting why the male is lighter?!?!-- I did not know that!!)
BTW-- there is more in the SOP, I left out a whole half page on how the plumage should be marked and defined!

Yeah, I know he was breeding for great tasting birds, and some might be lost in breeding for Standard... BUT his birds were without a doubt fantastic looking! I think we got excellent stock. And "decent" birds can still throw amazing results. And if you know what you're looking for, from now on, be careful to cull what you don't want and you'll get there in no time. That's my plan! I need to go get their pictures. I've been gone ALL DAY LONG. I'm tired but happy to be back.

I think it would be very easy to use his birds to create show quality stock. He's got the hard part done-- which is maintaining the integrity of the breed and doing his own culling to the point he is at now. I'm sure he has show stock in that breeder barn, but I didn't want to pay $300 a bird! LOL That is what he quoted us for that stunning rooster I loved. I don't blame him though-- that rooster was top notch. I think he does know what the SOP says, and for the most part is doing a great job culling his birds. But I also think his first priority is to breed a great meat bird. I bet sometimes it's a tough call on his part.

X2! BTW-- you are correct about the hump on your birds. It should not be there. But I'd breed them and start selecting the ones that show better type and just keep going that way with it.
Thanks for posting the SOP info. I was going to look it up and post it when I got back in but you beat me to it!

I hope it doesn't sound like I am dissing Frank Reese or his birds. I do think he is a great breeder and has done a tremendous job of maintaining the integrity of the breed - and he has some stunning birds. BUT - any breeder is going to get some not-so-great birds even from great parent stock - culling is just a part of it. I had the choice to buy from his breeder barn and pay a lot more for the birds - I remember that $300 figure too, and could never have justified to DH, spending that much for one bird, especially if it got sick and died a week later. So I picked from his cull barn, knowing that they are the ones he didn't think good enough to remain in his breeder barn. I am really okay with that. So I am not trying to diss him, so much as be aware of what I have and form a plan to use them to get where I want to go. Even though my birds may not be top-notch, because of the strain they come from and the breeding, my hope is that they have the genetics to throw offspring better than themselves. Knowing what to look for, and being willing to cull what doesn't make the grade, I will eventually - I hope - end up with some really great birds.

Okay, here we go! Pictures of my Reese Plymouth Barred Rocks!

Chick 1. This is the one with the Gold leakage on his face and neck! Isn't that crazy?? I'm pretty sure this is a cockerel. But you know what? The coloring looks like a pullet??? (I just dont know)

Chick 2. (BELOW) My guess is a pullet, but her barring is not that great. Very poor, I think. Maybe she'll grow in better barring??? I don't know enough about the breed to have a guess. She might end up being a cull... or trying to breed her and see if the boy will bring out better barring. Otherwise, she's probably a lost cause on coloring alone. At least she's "clean"-- no leakage.

Chick 3 (BELOW) Gender guesses on this one?? The coloring would suggest a boy. But it sure "looks" like a girl with the comb. I like the barring on this one and it's a clean bird-- no gold leakage. My guess on this one is a boy because the coloring suggests two copies of the barring gene. Thoughts, ideas???

Chick 4. I'm guessing a pullet on this one. What do you think?? Darker color would suggest one copy.

I think you have them pegged on gender. I love the fourth chick - she has great barring. On the other pullet, I wouldn't worry too much about her barring at this point. She may never feather out better than that but on the other hand, when she goes through her teenage molt, she may feather in much better - it is so hard to tell at this age. That is really wild about the gold leakage though.

To move my children from the East Coast to half way across the country, I promised them horses. We have an empty barn and pasture just waiting, but I cannot make that commitment yet. I am now seriously thinking about starting with a miniature horse or two. A lot cheaper to feed. My neighbors just got one, and he is so sweet and affectionate. Of course we would not be able to ride, but they can be taught so many other things.
Minis are certainly cheaper to feed and you can teach the kids some horsemanship but if their goal is to ride, I would look at something bigger. They will get bored putting a halter on and leading it around, pretty quickly. Also, minis are cute but ponies can be really naughty and intimidating to a child. Horses, despite being bigger, are often more even tempered and even more tolerant of and patient with, the little ones. Whatever you decide, it is a huge commitment and a huge expense and it would be best to do tons of research before you make a move. If you aren't very experienced with horses yourself, I'd recommend finding a friend who is, and have them go with you to look at anything you think about buying. There are a lot of shysters out there selling horses who will be only too happy to unload a problem horse on an unsuspecting person who doesn't know what to look for.

This will be our first year at gardening and I'm very excited to get started. When do you all start planting? I've read its best around end of April. My hubby bought me my first compost bin yesterday and we set it up today but i think I'm going to need something bigger
wink.png
The frost date for my area is April 15th, so I don't plan outside before then, unless it is about a week before and the 7-day forecast indicates much higher than freezing overnight temperatures. If its not too late, I would recommend returning the compost bin and building your own. When I lived in the city I purchased a bin but it was a waste of money. The commercial bins generally don't do a good job of composting as they don't let in enough water to keep the pile moist. Mine had rain holes in the top but they were a joke. Plus, the commercial bins make it really hard to turn it, and they usually don't hold nearly enough. I used mine for 3 years at the old house and it never did compost anything despite my best efforts to turn it and keep it moist. When we moved here, I grabbed some pallets, and set up a 3-bin system where there is a pallet on 3 sides of each bin and the top and front are open. The pallets are 4x4 which means each pile is also 4x4, much larger than my commercial bin. When I clean out the coop, I just create a pile in a "bin" and then leave it to do its thing. I started it last spring and by last Fall I already had real, live compost in there - something I hadn't achieved in 3 years with the other one.

OOps it didnt put the photo. in.. I was talking about Danz coop
Your multi didn't show the question asking if others have photos. If you look in my signature line, I created a page devoted to the Hoop Coop build, detailing each step along the way and the materials I used. I didn't do a coop in mine like Danz is doing. After the coop was built, I moved a dog house in, and my broody hen is using the dog house to brood in.

HEchicken-If you have time snap a few pics of your barred rocks, I am curious what the humped back looks like? Is it their cushion area, like on an orp? Just curious...
Yes, I keep meaning to do that but forget to take the camera with me. I took pics of them shortly after they arrived here but I don't know if it will show it. It isn't in the cushion area, but the actual back.

I haven't caught up on posts. I just have a really sick feeling and I need to get it off my chest. Fluff and Cloud were out for a run South of the house this morning when this lady was here picking up the last pup that I held for her. While they were gone I heard two gunshots. Fluff showed back up withing maybe 15 minutes but I haven't seen Cloud since. I am really thinking someone shot my dog. Here's the thing. The person who farms that land is one of my best friends. He would never do it. However there are some people across the section that might. I am waiting for DH to get home so we can take the truck and see if we can find her.
I so hope I am wrong. I feel sick to my stomach thinking about it and if someone really did shoot her I don't think I will be able to contain my anger. Please pray that I am wrong!!
Oh no. Please update us as soon as you know anything.
hugs.gif

tweetybaby2005,

Welcome!  We are also city/suburban people that 3 and half years ago bought our small little piece of heaven (5 acres).  We started out with six ducklings, last summer we added more ducklings and baby chicks.  Currently, I am brooding 13 more baby chicks and my 10 year old is "duck sitting" two week old ducklings while her friends go to an out of town wedding.  If somebody had told me 5 years ago that I would one day have two dozen total chickens and ducks, I would have laughed in their face.

To move my children from the East Coast to half way across the country, I promised them horses.  We have an empty barn and pasture just waiting, but I cannot make that commitment yet.  I am now seriously thinking about starting with a miniature horse or two.  A lot cheaper to feed.  My neighbors just got one, and he is so sweet and affectionate.  Of course we would not be able to ride, but they can be taught so many other things.

Thanks for the welcome.:) I did think about the mini but since DD needs it as a therapy horse so not sure if it will work or not. I'll be checking with her therapist. At any rate, we will have to wait till the move is done. I totally agree with what Josie said, taking it slow and make sure we are completely ready before taking on new animals.

Kuan

Danz--Oh no, praying that it was not Cloud--Please let us know

Josie--I now have the mille frizzle cochin boy here in ks that i have been drooling over for so long. i think a little over 3 mo's Yeah! i will post pics later.

Hawkeye--urgggghhh, thats the worst when you have high hopes and then bleh not what you thought you were getting--my baby cochin hatch turned out to have 5 toes--um silkie cochin mix anyone (not to mention 4 roosters 1 pullet
th.gif
)

Trish--1 baby SFH, 2 more due to hatch this weekend, first chick is very dark coloring so i am thinking will be more of the mille coloring like Sven versus the light brown of the girls, I think i am going to sell all the babies though.

Welcome to all the new peeps out there.

Couple of images from the greenhouse to help (or torture-depending on how you look at it)those of us that are just itching to dig in the dirt--the sunshine the last couple of days has really jumpstarted everything in there,

310524_10201099861365696_1195080198_n.jpg

580006_10201099734722530_661370631_n.jpg

OKay, so now I'm upset about my barred rocks. I went over to the Good Shephard thread where everyone is talking about their Frank birds and posted pictures of the two birds I'm not happy with-- the one with the really crappy barring and the one with the gold in the neck.

I got this response:

The ones with gold are not pure bred. The are likely sex links.
The ones with "blurry" barring are also not pure breds.

PS - all of your pictures are males.

And this one:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, I didn't make notes when my GSBRs were growing, but I believe at 6 weeks of age the GSBRs are not feathered out that completely. The good ones take forever to feather in. I concur with Kathyinmo that something must be mixed in those birds.

So now what??? Apparently, Frank didn't give me pure bred Barred Rocks!!?! They said these look nothing like the heritage rocks that they should and I'm guessing that these guys are about 6 weeks old and they said they should not be that well feathered in! So there goes all of my hopes for breeding a nice group of barred rocks! ARGH!!! Totally bummed.
Oh boy, that is really disappointing. I really hope they are wrong. It seemed to me the way he had his breeder barn set up, the breeds were fairly well separated. I suppose it is possible one could escape and end up in the wrong pen, but I wouldn't think all four would come from eggs resulting from a wayward bird.

I wasn't aware of the Good Shepherd thread - I will have to go and look at it. I hope its not too long - I keep finding good threads to read but they have hundreds of pages and it takes me forever to get through all the posts.

Thanks for the welcome.
smile.png
I did think about the mini but since DD needs it as a therapy horse so not sure if it will work or not. I'll be checking with her therapist. At any rate, we will have to wait till the move is done. I totally agree with what Josie said, taking it slow and make sure we are completely ready before taking on new animals.

Kuan
Tweety, one thing to consider is that horses are social animals and one kept alone will be miserable, so you are really talking about a minimum of two. That might make a difference in what direction you decide to go. I have a friend who is a board member and heavily involved in a therapy barn. She is always being asked to go and see horses that people want to donate to the barn, but they can't take in too many so have to be very selective. I can't remember where you are located but if you are in the Wichita area, I could ask her to keep you in mind if she gets word of a great therapy horse that her therapy barn doesn't have a place for.

Oh boy, that is really disappointing. I really hope they are wrong. It seemed to me the way he had his breeder barn set up, the breeds were fairly well separated. I suppose it is possible one could escape and end up in the wrong pen, but I wouldn't think all four would come from eggs resulting from a wayward bird.

I wasn't aware of the Good Shepherd thread - I will have to go and look at it. I hope its not too long - I keep finding good threads to read but they have hundreds of pages and it takes me forever to get through all the posts.
it is disappointing. Here is the thread-- just start where I posted. Ugh. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/399477/barred-rocks-good-shepard-poulty-ranch/860 I just said *I* drove up so that I didn't involve anyone else. I sort of feel *bleah* about it now. I also feel kind of attacked over there! ha! Not that they meant any harm, but I thought I had great birds, and now I don't. And I just don't know enough about BRs to have spotted any of this before now. And I posted the pictures sort of hoping to get a second opinion from them thinking they'd give me better news or tell me how to breed it out or just say, hey, it's too early to tell..... not to tell me these guys aren't pure bred! I mean... WOW! And BTW, I know you weren't dissing his birds! ha! But after this, I might!! LOL (kidding, kidding!!) I just wonder what the heck happened for me to wind up with some crap birds. But I think we paid pretty good prices to get mixed barnyard mutts. Double Bleah. Except that YOU didn't get mutts--- I shoud have bought older birds. Who knew!?!?

Frizzled-- that's gorgeous! How big is your greenhouse? Do you heat it? I have a friend that uses a wood stove to heat theirs and it seems pretty time intensive.

Frizzled-- that's gorgeous! How big is your greenhouse? Do you heat it? I have a friend that uses a wood stove to heat theirs and it seems pretty time intensive.
Greenhouse is at my sisters acreage in Olathe (closer to Gardner). Yes heated by a wood burning stove. Greenhouse, like chicken coops, was not big enough
hu.gif
, I think we have spent everyweekend THIS YEAR planting, etc. ORGANIC!!!!! Last night i actually saw some red on a strawberry and blooms on cukes. Spooncreek Organics on facebook. We should have pics up soon of everything but pretty near point of sale if anyone needs any lettuce/spinach/kale anything green. Oh yeah the banana trees and elephant ears. Also growing Quinoa which chickies are supposed to like--never tried that before.

To move my children from the East Coast to half way across the country,
Where in the east coast are you from? I lived 40+ years out east before coming to Kansas. Born and raised in the DC area, moved to NY - lived in NJ for awhile.. my dad is from Maine and I spent almost every summer up there for so many years. I get really homesick in the Fall.

Back
Top Bottom