Consolidated Kansas

Quote:
I bet that's true! As you say, its amazing how different conditions can be only miles apart. Even here in Wichita, we had had a couple of inches while a friend living on the other side of Wichita hadn't even seen snow yet (last night). And this morning our schools are closed while hers, which are in the next school district are not. I don't really mind snow either. Probably what bothers me most about it is the worry about how my animals are coping in it. As long as I know they're ok, I can enjoy it - and the shoveling is good exercise. DS 12 volunteered to shovel the driveway this morning. Needless to say I took him up on the offer, though its something I don't mind doing too much myself.

It's so pretty in our back yard! DH took the day off work since the schools are closed (nothing to do with him, just a good excuse
wink.png
), and we're still lingering over coffee and watching it start to snow again. I'd say we got 3-4 inches last night on the east side of Wichita, and another 1/2 inch in the last half hour. It's funny - when hubby decided to stay in bed this morning, he asked me what people do with their chickens in this weather (we won't get ours until March). So I've definitely got him on the same page as myself!
big_smile.png

So, HEChicken! A horse?! A barn?! How did you manage that in the city?! So cool!

Also, tobogganing? Where do you find any hills in Wichita?
wink.png

Over by the Palace (west Kellogg) there is a man-made hill where they built the highway, and it gets crowded with tobogganers every time there is even a trace of snow LOL. My kids love to go over there.

Unfortunately, the barn is a 30-minute drive - I'd love to be closer. As it is, we do try to get out there 2-3 times a week but are lucky that there is a full-time resident property manager who feeds every morning so those of us who board there only have to share the evening feedings. The person feeding feeds all the horses so everyone doesn't have to drive there each time. Yesterday afternoon I met one of the other ladies out there and between us we blanketed all the horses - that way everyone didn't have to drive out individually. We all kind of take care of all the horses and it gives a lot of peace of mind knowing that if it turns warm and I can't make it out there, I won't have to worry - whoever is out there will take my horse's blanket off for me.

Looking for new chickens, try; "Guest House Hens" Lawrence Kansas I kinda know the owner and the Hatchery operator they both seem like great people. They also are protecting thier birds from disease with Vaccinations; very important if your not hatching eggs. I bet she has some young pullets. You will have to look them up the web site on line, and either call or email her.
On another note why dont chickens like walking on snow? I am so glad you guys in the south are getting this snow this time. Here near KCK we have a slight dusting. Dosent stop the wild birds from being hungry; I cant seem to keep my feeders full.
This cold weather really makes me want to cook. Maybe its the warm oven maybe its cause theres not much I can do outside.
But the most recenent comments have rekindled my desire to garden. I am so looking forward to new vegies this year. Having to trade places on some vegies to reduce the raccoons in the sweeet corn. Really ready to plant peas and other cold season greens. I will end with "Ah I so love my garden vegies" Satues, gratans, grilled, stir frys, salads.

Hi, everyone!

Revolutionmama asked me to post that she has 3 Black Copper roos to get rid of that don't fit into her breeding program. One is from Greenfire Farms and 2 are Wade Jean's.

She's just looking for a good home and isn't asking any money, but needs confirmation, as she wants them gone quick. They are grown and gorgeous, but have some frostbite on their combs- that cold beat up a lot of our birds out here!

Email me if you're interested in picking them up. She's South of Lawrence.

Back
Top Bottom