Consolidated Kansas

I hear that. We have a 15 month old 60 lb. rescue that I'm working with trying to get him to be a good citizen with the chickens. The second day we had him, he grabbed my Welsumer by the tail and removed some feathers, but that was the only interaction so far. He is probably a heeler mix with maybe some pit bull? and something with long legs, and so far he hasn't eaten anyone. This is a picture of his usual method of getting off of the sofa. We should have named him Stretch instead of Red.

I put a shock collar on him (we got it when we also had his brother and they tag teamed the cat) and go outside with him when the chickens are out. We started out on a leash a couple of months ago and have graduated to the shock collar (I use the vibrate function -- he responds well to it and it doesn't hurt him). Yesterday he lay on the patio sort of watching them and sort of dozing for nearly an hour. I came back inside and watched him discretely CONSTANTLY. It was a huge time sink, but if I can get him so I can trust him, our lives will be so much easier around here.
I have a chocolate lab. He is very much a bird dog, and my husband uses him to hunt birds. We had him before we got birds. When we first got the birds, I kept the birds in a pen and watched the dog VERY closely. He would try to chase the birds through the fence. So, we used a shock collar to discipline him every time he tried to chase them. He got to where he knew that he'd only get disciplined if one of us were outside, so I started watching from inside the sun room. Eventually, he realized that chasing birds was a bad idea. That was when we started letting the birds out to free range, again with the shock collar on the dog. After all the work we did with him when the birds were in the pen, it didn't take long to teach him to leave them alone. Now, he only chases birds when I get a new one, and he knows EXACTLY which ones belong and which don't. He'll still chase turkeys, pheasants, dove, any bird that comes in the yard that isn't one of mine. However, I don't mind that because the wild birds know that they are supposed to run/fly.

Now the dog and my birds play this sort of "game". The birds will eat the dog's food when he's not around. My white chinese goose screams the whole time the birds are eating the food, so the dog has learned to come running when he hears the goose screeching. Then, the dog will steal the birds' food on random occasions! I'll see him walking past the window with their food, bowl and all. Thankfully, the dog walking off with the birds' food bowl is a rare thing!

To make a long story short, it sounds like you're on the right track! Good job so far and keep up the hard work!

That cracked me up so much I made DH come and look at it! Our Weim gets off the couch almost the same way; the only difference is that she stands on her front legs while she slides her back end off.
gig.gif

That cracked me up so much I made DH come and look at it! Our Weim gets off the couch almost the same way; the only difference is that she stands on her front legs while she slides her back end off.
gig.gif
Sometimes he walks himself off with his front legs too. I have a little video of him doing that (black and white, game cam quality). I'll try to post it tomorrow if I can find it.

Been so busy I haven't had time to post. I was busy in town all day Saturday, then spent yesterday trying to get semi caught up with the birds here. I just realized I accidentally put some of my English Orpingtons in with the ones for sale. I had banded their legs and wondered to myself why they had different colored bands. I forgot that one of the sellers had banded hers in colors as well to keep certain ones separate. I feel sick. I have done that before. Sold a $50 chick for $5. I don't know if there's any chance I'll be able to separate them out or not.
Then I spent most of my day wiring up a new digital thermostat to one of my GWF incubators. It appeared to be running really well but I put a remote thermometer in there and it's running a107 degrees. I am so glad I did that I would have cooked birds. I'm waiting for the company to open so I can call them. This was in no means a cheap thermostat!! And now that means it all has to be rewired again. The whole point was to have a thermostat that would operate in changing room temperatures and still hold steady. Plus it required cuttin a hole in the unit for the control panel. I can't take that back!!!

ZIgZag that last one looks white orp as well. I have been having some hatch with lots of lavender on them and then they feather in white. They confuse me too. The second picture is definitely female.The others I'd have to see the hackle feathers and feathers near the tail to know. I had some 6 months old and they were still questionable. Orps can be a mess to sex. I have tons of Lavenders right now. If I get up that way or if my son comes down this way maybe I could send your sweet little girls some chicks as a gift.
Thanks for the offer - very kind. One of them started off with lavender and then lost it, so now they are all snow white. It doesn't matter but the sooner I can sex them the better as they I can start preparing for those that need to leave the confines of my backyard, and it helps the kids get ready. Preparing as in learning how to go through the butcher process. I have some friends that know how to, something I'd rather learn from a friend than YouTube.

Right now they're frustrating me as they are liking to roost on the drinker arm that holds the poultry cups. And, like teenagers, they stay out later at night (after the older girls have gone to bed) and I'm afraid I'm going to loose one to an owl or something. But, they making catching them super hard so they can pick their fate. My oldest decided that if an owl was going to get one, she hoped it was one of the roo's.

I think that I am going to be forced to get a new Cochin roo. I had two Cochin roos that I chose before we culled 14. I kept a blue and a black. My first incubated hatch was excellent, and then I gave my black roo away. Now I've incubated a whole bunch of blanks. My blue Cochin roo is the most beautiful that I've ever seen. And I see him covering the ladies. I just don't think that he's getting the job done.
This makes me incredibly sad. Because he is such a gentleman. Gentle with us. Dances for his girls, and takes no for an answer. He is always the last one to eat a treat until all of his girls have had their fair share. He protects his flock from dogs and strangers beautifully.
If anyone has a BIG Cochin roo that they want to trade or sell, please let me know. I am attaching few pictures of my boy.

Dansfeathers I have a beautiful young gold laced cochin roo I need to sell. He has a lot of growing to do. He is only maybe 5 months old but he is already trying to breed. I really need to move him. Also try this. Trim from the vent in a circle down about the size of a baseball or maybe a 2 inch circle to describe it better. Make the circle from the top of his vent down. You won't even notice it once it's done but it will help fertility issues. I just use sissors.
Zigzag let me know when you want chicks. I did a recount and think I have over 50 lavender chicks now.

Well right now life sucks. The same thing happened last year when after cold weather we got a hot day and no wind. I lost several hens last spring. Well today I lost my special pet. I put her out in a kennel in the grass in the shade. She had water too. She was so big that she had leg problems so she became a pet who stayed inside most of the time. Her cage mate is doing fine but she is a smaller not as fluffy bird.
I swore I would never cry over another chicken but I am ...It just totally breaks my heart. I didn't even eat her eggs and they weren't fertile. It was just a respect thing.

Back
Top Bottom