Consolidated Kansas

Well my living shelter is looking kinda pitiful. It is serving its purpose well. The chickens love getting on top and definitely enjoy their nap inside. . They are so confused with the weather changing so much. One day they're cold the next they're hot. I made sure all the water dishes are full and in the shade. My daughter keeps going in there and dumping out their water dishes! When the central ac went out a few weeks ago we installed some old window units. Well the one in the living room keeps making a tinking sound. Like there's a fan blade loose or a screw loose. Before it would just make the sound occasionally. Well today it was constant. Ugh. Can't win.

I think it looks great, and it's doing just what you need it to do. I'M confused by the weather, so I'm sure the chickens are!
roll.png

Tweety, I lost at least half of my Roma tomatoes over the last week, and they were inside those water tent thingies AND with stakes inside to keep the tents from falling over on them. I think I waited about a week too long to get them planted and they started failing, then I got them planted and we had a couple of nights that got down into the 30s again. I had to cave in and buy some, and so far they're hanging in there. I was worried about what I might find today after yesterday's wind.

I have so many eggs I don't know what to do with them. I'm giving them away, selling some. Can you freeze them? I was thinking about scrambling them up and freezing for winter time when my girls aren't lsying

She is done! Hahahaha! Isn't that sweet that your orp has adopted them.
Quote:
Well my living shelter is looking kinda pitiful. It is serving its purpose well. The chickens love getting on top and definitely enjoy their nap inside. . They are so confused with the weather changing so much. One day they're cold the next they're hot. I made sure all the water dishes are full and in the shade. My daughter keeps going in there and dumping out their water dishes! When the central ac went out a few weeks ago we installed some old window units. Well the one in the living room keeps making a tinking sound. Like there's a fan blade loose or a screw loose. Before it would just make the sound occasionally. Well today it was constant. Ugh. Can't win.
I think it looks kind of cool and absolutely a great place for the hens.
The window unit could have a broken or bent blade, or a bearing going out. Not telling you what to do but in the long run you'd be much better off replacing your central ac. Those window units eat electricity like it's going out of style. Just sayin.' You could probably make loan payments on a new central unit for as cheap as your will pay in added electric bills. And since you already have central air ducting it won't cost nearly as much to have a new unit put in.
Did you guys have everything staked into the ground yet?
big_smile.png
It's as windy as all get out... my poor plants are suffering! Poor DH's new sprinklers are no match to this wind. I seriuosly think this is the windiest year ever!

Need some help from Danz or anyone who knows ducks. A few weeks ago I found some duck eggs and have no idea how long they have been out there. Just so happen I have a hen went broody so I just stuck the duck eggs underneath her. I really don't think they will hatch but lo and behold, when I came home from work today, DH told me he thought he saw a yellow duckling under the hen. By then, it was almost dark and thinking with the hen and new duckling in the high nest box is not a good idea so I moved them and the rest of the eggs into a secluded area with food and a bowl of water. I certainly could not have water and food in the nest box due to the space. Now here are the questions. What will happen to the duckling? Will it do fine with a chicken mama? If the rest of the eggs don't hatch, should I go get a couple of ducklings so this lonely one will have some company? Will the duckling think that he or she is a chick? I don't think any of my adult ducks will adopt it.

Hope the wind die down soon.
The duck will imprint on the chicken and be fine. The only major consideration is to have water for it to soak it's beak that may create a hazard for the chicks if she is also hatching chicken chicks. ...as long as the hen herself decides to mother the duck.
quote:
Tweety, I lost at least half of my Roma tomatoes over the last week, and they were inside those water tent thingies AND with stakes inside to keep the tents from falling over on them. I think I waited about a week too long to get them planted and they started failing, then I got them planted and we had a couple of nights that got down into the 30s again. I had to cave in and buy some, and so far they're hanging in there. I was worried about what I might find today after yesterday's wind.
I still don't have tomatoes planted. My potatoes seem to be recovering from the frost last week. I fear our lack of rain is going to ruin any thought of a garden this year. The rains keep missing us. My luck it will pour and then just run off when it does rain.
I have been on the go so much lately it's insane. I really am craving some down time at home.
I got some more birds moved out of the brooder house yesterday but still desperate for space. I do have two trios of chocolate bantam orpingtons I need to sell ASAP. I need to get some adds out. I moved several roosters into the guinea pen since they won't stay in the pen anyway. I may have to start butchering soon. These were back up roosters for breeding but I plan to sell some breeders later this summer, so no need to have a back up for them.
I got some more cattle panels yesterday and against my better judgement plan to make another hoop coop. I really want to just build a building instead but haven't figured out how to pay for it.

Danz- I know central ac is better. Just financial situation right now not good. I need to refinance house and try to do debt consolidation and hope for a loan for ac and cpl other repairs. Any one know of someone in Wichita that is reliable and accredited to help with that??? I may have to wait till next spring for income taxes if not

I have so many eggs I don't know what to do with them. I'm giving them away, selling some. Can you freeze them? I was thinking about scrambling them up and freezing for winter time when my girls aren't lsying

Get some of those plastic egg trays for ice cubes & freeze eggs in those. After they're frozen you can pop them out & put them in freezer bags.

I had to buy an old used refrigerator to put in the garage just for eggs. We don't have that big of a fridge in the house so the eggs were just taking over the whole thing so my DH said you need to get one just for your eggs. I got lucky & found an old one cheap, I hope it at least runs for awhile to keep my eggs cool out there. I probably won't need it in the winter, but in the summer I get a lot of eggs.

I've been pretty busy myself trying to get projects done around here. After I finished my last hoop coop & got birds moved & settled in there I tore out the old roosts on the north side of the main coop. I had left space in there at the time for PVC feeders, but now I don't use them, so I tore out the old roosts that were too high anyway & built some new ones that added 6 to 8 ft of roost space so I have room for new birds integrating in soon. I have been growing out some replacement pullets that will be old enough to go in there soon. I have a few more that will go in later as well. I have some hens that are 2-3 years old that I figure won't be laying too much longer so I got some new ones. I want to replace my Australorps too, they're just too broody for a laying flock where you want egg production. If anyone is interested in 2 or 3 adult Australorp hens let me know. I'm going to want to either sell them or process them if nobody wants them. They're making the other hens mad right now sitting in the nest boxes they want to use.

My next project is doing some replair on rabbit hutches & moving the rest of my rabbits outside. It's getting too hot in the garage for them.

Hey, just stopping in to let the Wichita area people know that Atwood in Park City has all of their birds 50% off. They had ducks, guineas, turkeys, pullets, bantams, and straight run.

And I was planning on taking a trip to atwoods a tomorrow. No more chicks. No more chicks. No more chicks. You don't have room. Just a couple more weeks and then my brooder will be empty!! And I don't know how I will sleep at night with out the sound of chicks chirping in the kitchen....if I keep reminding myself these things I should be able to make it to the store and back with supplies and no more chicks.

How many hens do you have?? I have 17 hens and 6 roosters( 5 will probably be processed soon) I already have people begging for eggs when mine start to hatch which should be 2-4 mths from now hopefully.

michelleml I missed your post earlier. I love custard and I love angel food cake. Great use of eggs. You can make sponge cake with the egg yolks if you are making angel food cake and freeze the cakes for later.
I also like to make breakfast burritos and freeze them for later on. Beats the store bought ones and a lot cheaper to make. And quiche can have so many flavors. I often forget about making it but it's really good.
I've personally never frozen eggs. So anyone who has, how do you use them when they've been frozen? Can you still bake with them or do you just cook them as they are?
Most of the time I am scrambling (no pun intended) to get enough for people who want eggs from me. I tried to get out of the egg business but I am always being asked for more. Today is one of those days. I have to have several dozen ready for one of my regular customers to take to his friend in the KC area.
Another busy day ahead. I am so ready for a break.

Back
Top Bottom