Consolidated Kansas

Thanks, Danz
But what is a beetle brow? My two younger kiddos would like to show next year. If we don't have what is needed please let me know. I'll try and upload Pictures of parents and if you don't mind letting me know about them

This is our rooster and one of ours hens
Thanks

Attachments

• 20190707_101434.jpg
    20190707_101434.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20190707_101505.jpg
    20190707_101505.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I agree with Danz, I think I can see saddle feathers on that bird. I have some breeds that are harder to sex due to types of comb & such as well.

A description found on line is "broad, wide head with skull projecting over the eyes – termed “beetle brow.” Here's a picture of some of my blacks where you can see the beetle brow. It makes them almost look evil.
brg1.jpg

I'm certainly no expert and that is a young bird so it may develop better as it ages. They should have a really broad chest as well and heavily feathered feet. I can see some obvious faults in that light brahma hen. Look at the fullness of body on these and the foot feathering. The shanks of the legs should be yellow which your roo appears to have but the hens appear off color. (could just be the picture though.)
If your kids are showing in 4H it may not be as important as long as they are close.

Final update on the flystrike victim. As I had posted, Blinky's wound was completely healed and she seemed like her old persnickety self so I put her back in the coop with no problem. On the 4th of July I found her dead on the floor of the coop. We put her in a plastic bag on ice in a cooler and the next day had her necropsied at K-State (not free anymore - now $30, but worth it to learn and know). Her abdomen was filled with fluid, her liver had hemorraged and some other things. But the vet who had noted the interest my daughter had in the whole thing went a step further and identified the root cause of everything which was an oviduct adenocarcinoma that had metastasized. Apparently common in older hens. RIP Blinky.

That is so heart breaking after all you did for her. You have my sympathy. I know you are heartbroken. I'm glad that it wasn't due to the fly strike though. This was something you couldn't control.

It's been over a month since anyone posted on here. Darn I hate to see that. The birds have decided to go on strike laying for the most part. Too much rain and too high heat for them I guess. I'm very slowly weeding out my excess. I sold a few more yesterday to a new chicken owner. This is the third time she's come to buy birds. I gave her really dirt cheap prices cause I could tell she was going to be an awesome chicken mom.
I had a not supposed to happen litter from one of the pyrenees. She was way to young to breed but produced beautiful pups. They sold before the were weaning age. But I backed out of one sale due to certain circumstances. So I now have one pup left and I am really enjoying him. He is a perfect poultry pup and hasn't offered to chase any birds. His Mom is really training him well and plays with him teaching him how to wrestle etc. She amazes me. She will stand back and let him eat no matter how tasty the food is. I have to catch her without him to get her to eat good treats like raw meat.
I haven't advertised him simply because I'm not sure where to do it these days. He's almost 10 weeks old right now. Just want to post his picture cause I think he's cute. But of course let me know if you're interested.
0814191736[1].jpg

It's been over a month since anyone posted on here. Darn, I hate to see that. The birds have decided to go on strike laying for the most part. Too much rain and too high heat for them I guess. I'm very slowly weeding out my excess. I sold a few more yesterday to a new chicken owner. This is the third time she's come to buy birds. I gave her really dirt cheap prices cause I could tell she was going to be an awesome chicken mom.
I had a not supposed to happen litter from one of the Pyrenees. She was way too young to breed but produced beautiful pups. They sold before the were weaning age. But I backed out of one sale due to certain circumstances. So I now have one pup left and I am really enjoying him. He is a perfect poultry pup and hasn't offered to chase any birds. His Mom is really training him well and plays with him teaching him how to wrestle etc. She amazes me. She will stand back and let him eat no matter how tasty the food is. I have to catch her without him to get her to eat good treats like raw meat.
I haven't advertised him simply because I'm not sure where to do it these days. He's almost 10 weeks old right now. Just want to post his picture cause I think he's cute. But of course, let me know if you're interested.View attachment 1882667

He is a cutie. Which I fenced in yard for one. Hopefully next year I can get money saved up to put a fence in.

We got two adult turkey hens yesterday for our lonely tom. He seemed really depressed up until yesterday. We put the hens in our back-up pen so they can get used to their new home for a week or so, and the tom has been around that pen, strutting, chuffing, and dancing ever since. He seems to be much better now.

Back
Top Bottom