Consolidated Kansas

Hi Kansas folks! Would any of you be interested in having a get together somewhere in the Kansas City area? I think it would be so much fun to meet each other and swap chicken stories, ideas, breed choices - just basically flock together!
I'd love to get together with some chicken folks.

Good to see you back again @Plinky. Funny that yours started laying and mine have almost quit. I was still getting lots of eggs but suddenly the numbers just plumeted. I just sold out one breed and had thought I might use them for layers but now I'm thinking maybe I should have kept them!
I'm still getting lots of eggs from my breeders in the building though but starting to do a little hatching. I have a group of chicks I hatched being picked up today.

If you are wanting sex link chicks you might be better off just to buy hatchery stock at TSC, Orcheln's or one of those places. A lot of people breed purchased sex links and breed them but the sex link properties don't work when they are bred back. It's fairly easy to breed your own if you know what you are doing. If you are particularly wanting females, I might recommend contacting Dee Sauvage. I'll send you her info by private message.

I agree, if you want sex links it would be easier to just buy from a farm store. Just make sure the chicks are in a healthy environment when you buy them. There is one farm store that I won't mention the name of but they decided it was OK to put chicks in cages with plexiglass fronts & solid bottoms. There is very little air circulation & they're always crowded so the moisture builds up & it's a very unhealthy situation. People have complained & reported them, but so far I haven't seen them change it. I have seen people I know go & buy them totally out just to rescue the chicks, but that isn't fixing the problem.

Hello Ks peeps!!
Are we sick of this weather yet??
We had a 35° drop in six hours two days ago!! My poor babies!
Supposed to warm up tonight though.
Can’t wait.
I’m growing weary of breaking ice to get water!!

I guess it depends on where you live to consider this a mild winter or not. We've gotten a lto more snow this year than in previous years. Granted the temps haven't been as low as some years until January. But it's been a bear. My electric bill just came and it really shows how bad it's been.
I've been in a major slump because it seems it's been cloudy nearly every day for months.

Back
Top Bottom