Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
I am currently using a gallon sized heated dog bowl that sits on top of a cement block to water my flock of 15. I do have to change the water every day, sometimes twice, because shavings and whatnot get into the bowl, but at least the water doesn't freeze. I will have to try the cookie tin heater for my regular waterers-I believe I have several tins stashed around here somewhere! Good idea!

2*f and a wind chill of -12* this morning and this is the first night that my heater couldn't keep up. Only the outer ring was frozen over. In fairness I am using a three gallon waterer on a popcorn tin with a 100W incandescant bulb but until now it has worked just fine. I started out late fall with a 60Watt bulb but as the temperature dropped to the 20's I changed to a 100W. No big deal I just took a small pan of very hot water and poured it into the outer ring and it has stayed open the remainder of the day. Supposed to get lower temps tonight and tomorrow so I will just have to check it in the AM to make sure it is open.
One other little thing I did was to drill a small (1/16") hole in the side facing the kitchen window just below the lid. I am usually up once or twice a night and this allows me to see from the kitchen that the light is indeed lit and the heater is working without having to remove the lid.

Quote:
This is good info. I was about right thinking that I'd need three 100W bulbs inside the tin. A small indicator hole is a good idea. Thanks.

Keep in mind to insulate the side walls to direct the heat to the lid. I used "Great Stuff" foam but wouldn't reccommend it as it was too difficult to control the volume and it overexpanded forcing me to cut a lot of it out afterwards. Next time I will use styrofoam panels glued to the inner wall. I'm sure I will need to build another as they will eventually rust out. Especially if they are sitting directly on the ground as mine is. My next one will probably also have two recepticles for two bulbs to give me a greater choice of wattage.

Quote:
You can see it from the kitchen? Is it outside? If it is, then I am certainly impressed. I have a one gallon heated bowl that freezes up around the rim when the temp dips below 10. I bought 3 little one quart heated bowls like the big one, but they all 3 froze up completely, and that was in the barn when the temp in there read 20!
barnie.gif
I am taking them back where I got them tonight and I'm going to get the rest of the stuff I need to build these little cookie tin types. The cookies are almost all gone.

Quote:
You can see it from the kitchen? Is it outside? If it is, then I am certainly impressed. I have a one gallon heated bowl that freezes up around the rim when the temp dips below 10. I bought 3 little one quart heated bowls like the big one, but they all 3 froze up completely, and that was in the barn when the temp in there read 20!
barnie.gif
I am taking them back where I got them tonight and I'm going to get the rest of the stuff I need to build these little cookie tin types. The cookies are almost all gone.

Yes it is. I don't keep any food or water in the coop as it is too small for that. Food and water is outside in the run. Coop is for roosting and egglaying.

Ours are inside the coop and we got down to 5 degrees last night with no frozen water. We use mostly a 40 watt bulb in the cookie tin this time of year for a one gallon plastic waterer. Some of the ones with 25 watt bulbs have a little icing up inside the waterer, but it still flows so they can get a drink.

ya.gif
I just finished making 3 cookie tin water heaters. Once I got started it was SO easy!

Material needed:
3 Christmas cookie tins (Cheap!)
3 Bottle lamp kits ($4-$5 at Wal-Mart)
3 skinny bulbs-I used 25 watt chandalier bulbs

Instructions-Leave cookies lying around so kids and hubby eats them, that way you don't have to and you can eat more chocolate. Search and rescue cordless (or corded) drill from it's incorrect location. Charge the dead battery if cordless. Put a drill bit in it. It isn't important to use an exact size. Drill the hole in the side of the cookie tin about half way between the bottom and top. It doesn't matter which side since the tin is round anyway. If the hole you drill is too small because most of your drill bits are lost or broken, ream the hole out by an improvised measure. The tin is thin and it's a heck of a lot easier than finding another drill bit. I used a lag bolt just a little larger than the hole I wanted and screwed it in and wiggled it around.

Insert the threaded brass thingy into the hole. Screw the bottom of the other thingy that goes next onto that. You'll figure out which part because it's the only thing it will screw into. Insert the wire through the brass thingy and into the cookie tin. Find the part with the two screws that the wires hook to. Unscrew the screws a tad and put the wire under them. I bent them into a little "U" shape and hooked it around the screw and then tightened it. Next snap that piece with the wires attached into the part that covers it.

For insulation I found a couple of 4' lengths of pipe insulation. I cut it in half lengthwise and then put it inside the cookie tin around the edge. Cut it generous enough that it fits snug with the "inside" of the pipe insulation toward the wall of the cookie tin and it will stay securely. My insulation said "fire retardant. I hope that means it won't catch on fire. I would hate to have a retarded fire in my chicken pens.

Next screw your skinny bulbs into the socket. Test to see if it works by plugging it into a wall outlet. Stand back in case it blows up, or let some one else plug it in for your first test if you are scared. Make sure you don't have a husband or other clown around that says, "BANG" the instant you plug it in.

Now you are ready to put them under your chicken's water dishes. Be sure to put the hammer away that you have been using to knock the ice out of the water dishes.

Quote:
Had a good laugh of your first part of instructions..
love.gif
sure keep us guys "happy and fat" with cookies..
ya.gif

tip: make sure they are sugar cookies
droolin.gif

PS good job on the successful builds..
woot.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom