Coronation Sussex Thread!

Pics
My kids insisted on taking some Christmas pics with our hens. Below is Hope our CS. She hasn't stared laying yet, but we still like her. Maybe she'll give us an egg for Christmas.

I should say so!!! Look at the red on her. My one pullet is 7 mo old and still not that red.
hit.gif

Hope hatched July 15, so 5 months now. She stared getting pink in the comb at 4 weeks. I thought she was "he" but the comb never grew. By 20 weeks I sent pics to the breeder & he said definitely female. He said that his CS lines get pink early because of the light color. I almost gave this beauty away.

She's still a bit hyper, but I'm hoping she calms down with age. I'm used to my Orpingtons that can simply be scooped up by anyone. The only time they run is toward us for treats.

20 weeks

4 1/2 weeks

My kids insisted on taking some Christmas pics with our hens. Below is Hope our CS. She hasn't stared laying yet, but we still like her. Maybe she'll give us an egg for Christmas.

She is just gorgeous and so big already! What a sweet face
love.gif
Is that your daughter? I can tell Hope loves her very much. I have 1 DD (youngest) that has no interest in birds, and the other (oldest) DD adores them.

She is just gorgeous and so big already! What a sweet face
love.gif
Is that your daughter? I can tell Hope loves her very much. I have 1 DD (youngest) that has no interest in birds, and the other (oldest) DD adores them.

My daughter is addicted to chickens like her mom. My son only likes HIS chickens.
His first he named "Firefighter." We thought it was a male & would be rehomed to a farm, so I didn't care what he called it. Firefighter is the most prolific layer of jumbo eggs. For that reason, she is also my DH's fav. She's not a cuddly chicken, but I'm not allowed to get rid of her. My son requests to only eat FF's eggs.

Update on Coronation Sussex:
We got a new layer today!!!!
wee.gif

It's either the CS above or my Lav Orp. (Both have very red combs)

Is 5 mo about the age a Coronation Sussex will start to lay?

My daughter is addicted to chickens like her mom.  My son only likes HIS chickens. 
His first he named "Firefighter."  We thought it was a male & would be rehomed to a farm, so I didn't care what he called it.  Firefighter is the most prolific layer of jumbo eggs.  For that reason, she is also my DH's fav.  She's not a cuddly chicken, but I'm not allowed to get rid of her.  My son requests to only eat FF's eggs.

Update on Coronation Sussex:
We got a new layer today!!!!:weee
It's either the CS above or my Lav Orp.  (Both have very red combs)

Is 5 mo about the age a Coronation Sussex will start to lay?

Congrats. Yes around 20 weeks is average.

Hmm, my three CS pullets that I recently purchased have a hatch date of the week of Easter 2014. That makes them 8 months old. Are they not laying yet because they matured so close to the time change? The man said they weren't laying yet when I picked them up. All are nice and red in the face. I even walked my yard to be sure they weren't hiding eggs from me and I found nothing.

Hmm, my three CS pullets that I recently purchased have a hatch date of the week of Easter 2014. That makes them 8 months old. Are they not laying yet because they matured so close to the time change? The man said they weren't laying yet when I picked them up. All are nice and red in the face. I even walked my yard to be sure they weren't hiding eggs from me and I found nothing.

Yes, the onset of winter can delay the whole procedure. I purposely hatch in winter so that mine are coming into lay for spring.

sorry about the caps lock, just ignore it, not shouting.

NO THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM. IN THE NORTHERN HEMISHERE, YOUR BIRDS SHOULD BE LAYING BY NOW. HISTORICALLY, THE BEST SUSSEX WINTER LAYERS ARE HATCHED IN MARCH UP HERE. SO YOUR PULLETS ARE RIGHT IN THAT WINDOW. A TIME TESTED METHOD FOR HELPING BRING THE GIRLS INTO LAY IS TO SPROUT OATS AND FEED THEM 1 CUBIC INCH PER BIRD PER DAY OF 4 TO 7 DAY OLD SPROUTED FORAGE OATS. IT IS GREAT FOR THE BOYS TOO. IT HELPS THEM CREATE MORE ROBUST SPERM TO HELP THEM SIRE MORE ROBUST CHICKS. READ PAGES 24 THRU 29 OF THIS GREAT BYC THREAD. IT WILL EXPLAIN ALL THE HOWS AND WHYS. especially posts 264 and 265 of 721 Page 30 is also interesting. esp. the recipe for steamed oats. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/425134/anybody-raise-sprouts-to-feed-the-chickens/230 SIMPLE TO DO. I USE PLOTSPIKE FORAGE OATS. http://www.plotspike.com/ Available at Tractor Supply Company in 25 and 50 lb. bags for not much money.
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom