Coronation Sussex Thread!

Pics
sorry about the caps lock, just ignore it, not shouting.

NO THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM. IN THE NORTHERN HEMISHERE, YOUR BIRDS SHOULD BE LAYING BY NOW. HISTORICALLY, THE BEST SUSSEX WINTER LAYERS ARE HATCHED IN MARCH UP HERE. SO YOUR PULLETS ARE RIGHT IN THAT WINDOW. A TIME TESTED METHOD FOR HELPING BRING THE GIRLS INTO LAY IS TO SPROUT OATS AND FEED THEM 1 CUBIC INCH PER BIRD PER DAY OF 4 TO 7 DAY OLD SPROUTED FORAGE OATS. IT IS GREAT FOR THE BOYS TOO. IT HELPS THEM CREATE MORE ROBUST SPERM TO HELP THEM SIRE MORE ROBUST CHICKS. READ PAGES 24 THRU 29 OF THIS GREAT BYC THREAD. IT WILL EXPLAIN ALL THE HOWS AND WHYS.  especially posts 264 and 265 of 721 Page 30 is also interesting. esp. the recipe for steamed oats.  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/425134/anybody-raise-sprouts-to-feed-the-chickens/230   SIMPLE TO DO. I USE PLOTSPIKE FORAGE OATS. http://www.plotspike.com/      Available at Tractor Supply Company in 25 and 50 lb. bags for not much money.
 Best Regards,
 Karen

Some swear by sprinkling cayenne pepper on their feed. It's also imperative that they are well hydrated and chickens like the rest of us , tend to drink less in winter.

hmm, well they have access to plenty of water but still no eggs. I even checked the yard again thinking someone was hiding them. :/

I'm new to this thread, so just wanted to post something so I can follow. I have just a trio so far, but hoping to add more. I'm in Texas.

Temperament & behavior questions:

Is CS temperament supposed to be very docile like the orpingtons or are they more skittish? My Orps are a total lap chickens - even the ones I rarely work with. My only CS pullet still runs off if I bend down to pet her & is hesitant about eating from my hand. We kept a hatch-mate (Easter Egger) to help with the integration into the flock, but they seem to only hang with each other. They're about 26 weeks old & not laying yet. (It's snowing & very cold, so I'm not too concerned about that.) However, the younger pullets should normally merge with the flock around 20-22 weeks old, right? I have 3 roosts. The top 2 are kind of full & the bottom one is completely empty. I've tried putting them on the bottom roost, but they ALWAYS sleep (& poop) in the nest boxes until I place them on the roost. It's been like this since the end of August. Any advice?

Is CS temperament supposed to be very docile like the orpingtons or are they more skittish? My Orps are a total lap chickens - even the ones I rarely work with. My only CS pullet still runs off if I bend down to pet her & is hesitant about eating from my hand. We kept a hatch-mate (Easter Egger) to help with the integration into the flock, but they seem to only hang with each other. They're about 26 weeks old & not laying yet. (It's snowing & very cold, so I'm not too concerned about that.) However, the younger pullets should normally merge with the flock around 20-22 weeks old, right? I have 3 roosts. The top 2 are kind of full & the bottom one is completely empty. I've tried putting them on the bottom roost, but they ALWAYS sleep (& poop) in the nest boxes until I place them on the roost. It's been like this since the end of August. Any advice?
We've got a 22 week old pullet who seems to be upsetting the roost order, too. Actually, I can't say that with complete certainty, but she started roosting in the nest box at the same time the other birds decided to roost elsewhere, too. Strangely coincidental.

We have a single height roost bar with 3 nest boxes about 2' below it. Usually, all the hens roost peacefully on the roost bar, as they have for the past 2-3 years.

After the broody hen hatched the CS egg in the nest box, the mother and pullet simply never left. Now they roost (& poop) in the nest boxes, and seem to have encouraged 5 of the other hens to also roost (& poop) in the remaining 2 nest boxes. Only 3 or 4 hens still uses the roost bar anymore.

The 'baby' still roosts in the next box with her mom. It's really funny looking because her mom is a banty and the 'baby' is a 22 week old CS. Twice the size of the mom.

I'm torn on if I should be concerned or not. Right now, only 1 of 9 is laying, so the egg in poop problem is not terrible. Additionally, since the nest boxes are below the roost, it may perhaps be a bit warmer, which could be driving some of them to roost there.

BUT: in the spring, if the 'baby' is still causing roosting (& pooping) in the nest boxes, I will be VERY UNHAPPY!

Is CS temperament supposed to be very docile like the orpingtons or are they more skittish?  My Orps are a total lap chickens - even the ones I rarely work with.  My only CS pullet still runs off if I bend down to pet her & is hesitant about eating from my hand.  We kept a hatch-mate (Easter Egger) to help with the integration into the flock, but they seem to only hang with each other. They're about 26 weeks old & not laying yet.  (It's snowing & very cold, so I'm not too concerned about that.)   However, the younger pullets should normally merge with the flock around 20-22 weeks old, right?  I have 3 roosts.  The top 2 are kind of full & the bottom one is completely empty.  I've tried putting them on the bottom roost, but they ALWAYS sleep (& poop) in the nest boxes until I place them on the roost.  It's been like this since the end of August.  Any advice? 

I think it's more of an individual thing , rather than a breed thing. In my flock of Coro's I have some that literally trip me over as I walk through the pen and others that stand off. I find that a good feed of cooked rice with raw egg mixed in and a tin of sardines in olive oil breaks down all barriers. As for sleeping in the nest boxes I wouldn't worry too much, try adding something else for them to roost on. I put an old wooden saw horse in the coop , the roost needs to be about 3-4 inches wide so that they can lay their feathers down over their feet , in cold weather.

So happy I have been getting a Coronation egg from my coop, at a rate of about every 2-3 days. As some of you know this is the first eggs I have gotten from my CORO'S in about 6 months. (seems like years). We will be checking fertility this weekend. I think the vitamins helped.

So happy I have been getting a Coronation egg from my coop, at a rate of about every 2-3 days. As some of you know this is the first eggs I have gotten from my CORO'S in about 6 months. (seems like years). We will be checking fertility this weekend. I think the vitamins helped.
Welcome back eggs! Are the Coro Sussex seasonal layers or was it a break from a molt?
About what age do they start to lay? Mine will turn 6 months old in a few days. The comb's been red since 4 mo old but it's winter (bitter cold with shorter days) so I'm sure that is part of the delay.

Back
Top Bottom