Coronation Sussex Thread!

Pics
Hi All, I am also a big coro fan. I have just hatched 9 mixed sussex chicks which inclede 4 coronations. I am just a small time poultry owner and have 6 orpington hens and i was going to keep the hens of the coronation sussex and sell the the rest of the bunch at our local poultry show. lol they are so cute, ill probably keep them all. I am definetly going to breed more coros, they are beautiful and the chicks seem very sociable compared to the light and buff chicks i have.
love.gif
i look forward to seeing more pics and posting some myself.

OH, can't wait to see your pics of the coronation chicks...we have some in the incubator with several other breeds and I'm starting to worry I won't be able to tell them apart. :)

Oh you will definetly be able to tell the coronations. Mine are much whiter than the other chicks. The light sussex are yellow and the buffs are light brown but the coronations are very white chicks. Good luck with your hatch, i will get some photos today and post them.
big_smile.png

My coronations are extremely large and real sweet compared to my Javas and Dominiques. Mine came from my old light sussex flock after the rooster passed I replaced him with 2 coronation roosters. 4 years later I'm running a split flock and an all coronation flock and love both. I find they start laying right at the 6 month mark and lay beautiful light tinted large brown eggs. My 4x8 brooder has overflown to the floor this week with 32 month old and 35 day old chicks, hoping to expand a little more next year. I'm ecstatic With how busy this years rooster has been!

I have a beautiful coronation sussex roo. If I breed him with my blue fauvacaunas hens (which are both black), what colors would I get.

Also would the chicks have issues hatching because the resulting cross is bigger then the hens?

And I am assuming the eggs would be a green olive color ( the resulting hens when they start to lay)

I am very interested in the mixes and am trying to decide the best crosses. I also have a splash marans roo that I love.

I have a beautiful coronation sussex roo. If I breed him with my blue fauvacaunas hens (which are both black), what colors would I get.

Also would the chicks have issues hatching because the resulting cross is bigger then the hens?

And I am assuming the eggs would be a green olive color ( the resulting hens when they start to lay)

I am very interested in the mixes and am trying to decide the best crosses. I also have a splash marans roo that I love.
I'm not sure about what that particular mix will look like. If you breed mixes & try to sell them, you'll only get a few dollars a chick. Perhaps an extra dollar if they make fun colored eggs. If the goal is just to have fun & see your fav hens have offspring, you have nothing to lose to try out diff combos.

When DD started hatching every year for part of her 4H science projects, I decided to get some quality Orpingtons. It's very easy to sell purebred chicks. Even though the mixes are just as beautiful, lay well (or better), and often become our family favorites, many people want to say they have a __(breed name)___ chicken. Now when she hatches for a research project, we can quickly sell her "results" and make enough to pay for her other project expenses. We usually sell out before they reach 10 days old.

Back
Top Bottom