Could there be some Hookbill Genes in my Indian Runners, or do i start seeing things?

Nah, they don't have too much indoor space on Metzer Farms:
View attachment 2397065
"We utilize the best genetics available and raise our breeders in a more traditional system. Our replacement duck and goose breeders are on pasture as much as possible during rearing. We feel this provides them a maximum amount of exercise and fresh air. All of our growing and layer buildings are open sided and all birds are on the floor - cages are never used."

I'm not sure if that means all breeding birds are in buildings only? Anyway I'm sure mistakes are possible!

Received the following answer from »Metzer Farms Information«:
The ideal Runner has a bit of a sloped bill like the Hookbill but not as pronounced. There is no Hookbill blood in any of our ducks. The Hookbills barely reproduced themselves.
So it seems to be normal that Runner's bills have a downwards tendency. (?)

Last edited:
Exactly! From the web-site of the Runner Ducks Club in the UK:
Head: Lean and racy looking with a bill definitely wedge-shaped fitting into a skull flat on top, making a clean sweep from the top of the bill to the back of the skull. The eye should be full, alert, bright and so high in the head that the upper part appears almost to project above the line of the skull. The culmen of the bill should be perfectly straight.
I don't see anything saying »bit of a sloped bill« in here. But maybe the "standard" is different in the US?

Hi! I have Dutch Hookbills and I believe there is some researchers who hold the belief that Indian Runners could have played a part in the development of the Hookbill. Perhaps that would explain some of the similarities you have noticed.
https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/Hook-Bill_History_Final_Draft.pdf
Where did you get those rare breed?
I want to have some Hookbill ducks, not now, maybe in 2-3 years when i have more experience with breeding ducks and will be able to keep them separate from my mixed flock.
I read too, that Hookbill ducks have been bred out of the Runner Ducks, but am not too convinced about it. It also looks to me that the hooked-bill is the only feature that makes a duck a hookbill duck. I have seen many different pictures of hook-bill ducks: Some look like Runners with a hook-bill, some like Silver Appleyards, some like wild Mallards all with that hooked bill.

I have Hookbills, and I’m not seeing traces of the breed in your picture. How old are your birds? I lose track of time but it seems like Metzer sold all of theirs 2 years ago, maybe more? Physically the 2 breeds look very different. Hookbills can definitely fly though so I guess if they were hatched when Metzer had DHBs it is possible.

I have Hookbills, and I’m not seeing traces of the breed in your picture. How old are your birds? I lose track of time but it seems like Metzer sold all of theirs 2 years ago, maybe more? Physically the 2 breeds look very different. Hookbills can definitely fly though so I guess if they were hatched when Metzer had DHBs it is possible.
They are just four months old and some of them still have their bills pointing slightly downwards. And they are the flightiest Runner ducks i have seen so far:
Two foot fence? - Duck you! I just flap over that.
Running downhill? - Why should i when flying downhill is so much faster!

From where did you got your Hookbills?

Back
Top Bottom