Cream Legbars

I cant find that in the UK... i have 25% protein quail feed. I have duck/goose grower feed, barley, and medicated worming layers, normal layers. Could do with an all rounder haha. Okay so a bit of discussion has started on another thread weather this cl roo is a pure one:
he does look a bit off but Ive seen some of the Jill Rees line that are similarly very white in the body. Maybe someone with more experience can comment on if this might be the recessive white we hear about.

I cant find that in the UK... i have 25% protein quail feed. I have duck/goose grower feed, barley, and medicated worming layers, normal layers. Could do with an all rounder haha. Okay so a bit of discussion has started on another thread weather this cl roo is a pure one:

What an interesting rooster! If he is pure, he is missing a bunch of barring on his wings and chest to start. I personally would not breed him but he would be great for your plan of producing blue egg layers (if he has the blue egg laying gene).

I know this has been discussed in the past but was it decided to keep all Cream Legbar threads open?

I have a hard time keeping up with so many threads and I feel like everything is spread out on all the different threads :(

I wonder about that too. I have a hard time following the 4 threads that I know of. There might be others that I haven't discovered.

he does look a bit off but Ive seen some of the Jill Rees line that are similarly very white in the body. Maybe someone with more experience can comment on if this might be the recessive white we hear about.

Actually the recessive white is truly white all over, and there is no incomplete dominance that I'm aware of.

I do hope we hear from someone regarding his lack of chest pattern and color. His tail feathers are so nicely barred. I was wondering if his wings have nice barring @nadrojsack ? I also have a very light rooster that came from the usual work-in-progress CL stock, but he has a little more pattern on his body and definitely sports some chestnut. Your bird sure has nice white earlobes and yellow feet, as well as most of the typical CL elements.

btw - I have found it efficient and generally helpful to have two feeders if the roosters are with hens: one with layer pellets, which have calcium but not hormones, and one feeder with a very low calcium crumble, also no hormones.

I try to buy a starter or grower crumble with the lowest amount of calcium that I can find; my local supplier usually has a game bird product not a specific chicken feed. The crumble is also high protein which seems to be helpful for the hens throughout the year, including around the molting season.

Well a cabinet isn't in my future (any time soon). I have an assembly line of coops planned. Most of which is complete (at least Im staying a half step ahead of the line)

Ultimate goal is a set of pens to rotate the younger birds through till they either end up in the Layer, Breeding Line or Processing pens.

1 brooder hatch to 4 weeks
1 brooder 4-8 weeks
2 outside brooders 1 male & 1 female 8-12 weeks
2 grow out pens 1 male & 1 female 13- 16 weeks
1 Batchelor pad 16+ weeks

males as separated as soon as known after 8 weeks.

Start hatching around Feb till June should give me good selection for next years breeders.

We shall see.

It is time consuming to clean between groups, but I also have a few stopping points when they are outside, before they end up in the largest grow out pen at about 16 weeks. It is a helpful way to blend groups/ages and rehome some along the way. I let my guys stay with the girls a little longer, it seems to be helpful with behaviors even if it just helps to sort out bad behaviors.

Actually the recessive white is truly white all over, and there is no incomplete dominance that I'm aware of.

I do hope we hear from someone regarding his lack of chest pattern and color.  His tail feathers are so nicely barred.  I was wondering if his wings have nice barring @nadrojsack
 ?  I also have a very light rooster that came from the usual work-in-progress CL stock, but he has a little more pattern on his body and definitely sports some chestnut.  Your bird sure has nice white earlobes and yellow feet, as well as most of the typical CL elements.

btw - I have found it efficient and generally helpful to have two feeders if the roosters are with hens:  one with layer pellets, which have calcium but not hormones, and one feeder with a very low calcium crumble, also no hormones.  

I try to buy a starter or grower crumble with the lowest amount of calcium that I can find; my local supplier usually has a game bird product not a specific chicken feed.  The crumble is also high protein which seems to be helpful for the hens throughout the year, including around the molting season.  
i do have a 2nd small feeder in the coop that i sometimes put heygates partriddge micro pellets in high protien, should i do this regularly? Im guessing its similar to the game bird crumbles.

Well this rooster is very interesting, in different lights i see different things. He flapped just now he does have black parts to his feathers, im not clued up if this is barring. Ill post pics now

So do i return him or keep him, i want the blue egg gene...

Last edited:
i do have a 2nd small feeder in the coop that i sometimes put heygates partriddge micro pellets in high protien, should i do this regularly? Im guessing its similar to the game bird crumbles.

Well this rooster is very interesting, in different lights i see different things. He flapped just now he does have black parts to his feathers, im not clued up if this is barring. Ill post pics now

So do i return him or keep him, i want the blue egg gene...
He seems to be missing the chestnut (red/brown) almost completely. this might be a reason for his light chest and so forth. He does have a bit of crest so Im pretty sure he is carrying blue get genes. Im thinking he may not be pure though I can't even begin to imagine what he may be mixed with to get such nice other features.

Back
Top Bottom