CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott.......I dont' know how the barreds get away with that either. I guess if a judge see's an actual tail on a barred rock they don't realize it can be too long...lol Without looking in the SOP, the only longer tailed breed in the American class that comes to mind is the Lamona.

w.
Thanks for confirming my "choice"....I may lose one day to a "long-tailed Barred", but I'm not raising mine to look that way

Thanks again!!!

Thank you for the kind words J.R. I have been told that my replies are sometimes mean and it is clear that I annoy some folks, but what I try to do is respond in the same way other people treat me here. If someone responds to me in an aggressive way I will respond in kind. If someone asks the same question 800 times, I may be short with them, but actually I'm one of the very few truly sensitive males left on this planet. I have a lot of patience with beginners and I would never act mean, even if I have heard the same question (from different people). Sometimes the people here really do believe it is a pretty bird, but I look at chickens in a different way than they do. I look at their birds the same way I look at my birds...as a judge. The judge part is seldom turned off.

Walt

It is good to hear that there are sensitive males out there!!( please forgive me, tomorrow is my day off and I have my glass of wine in front of me!YUM!) What I can say is I can see you have a sense of humor! great for any walk in life.

I am thankful for this "classroom discussion" on buckeyes. Every time someone posts a picture, makes a comment and a critique, I run out and judge mine. The rooster I didn't like because he seems puny, appears to have good wing carriage (tailfeathers.. good eye color!) and a downward sloping back, and a bar of slate. OKAY!! What next???? Again thanks!!

Ginny

It is good to hear that there are sensitive males out there!!( please forgive me, tomorrow is my day off and I have my glass of wine in front of me!YUM!)  What I can say is I can see you have a sense of humor! great for any walk in life.

I am thankful for this "classroom discussion" on buckeyes.  Every time someone posts a picture, makes a comment and a critique, I run out and judge mine. The rooster I didn't like because he seems puny, appears to have good wing carriage (tailfeathers.. good eye color!) and a downward sloping back, and a bar of slate.  OKAY!!  What next????  Again thanks!!

Ginny

Does he hunt mice and roar like a dinosaur?

Walt - I don't think I've ever seen a post of yours that could be identified as "mean". I truly appreciate your posts here in helping us newer to the breeding world make the right choices with our flocks. I lurk in this thread and the Heritage LF thread, but I'm learning a lot. Even if it's not a breed I'm currently working with, I'm still learning what type to look for in the different breeds - who knows, I may work with them in the future. So thank you very much for all that you do here. I'm a very visual person, so this thread is helping me immensely. Can't wait for the Continental Class.
caf.gif

Walt,

I appreciate the time and effort you have devoted to Chicken U. It’s one of the few places where there is wholesome debate and comments regarding Buckeyes.

So many other like type sites limit discussion to only “positive” comments such that a person asking for a critique of his/her bird is only able to get… “beautiful bird” or “pretty picture”. Most anything other than that gets you booted. As a result the questioning person’s knowledge/education regarding his/her bird is no further advanced after the requested critique then it was before.

Perhaps some site administrators will take a lesson from your efforts and promote constructive discussions and realize sites such as yours is about “the bird” and not about them.

Keep up the good work.

J.R. Hatch
J Squared Farms

Ditto. Well said!! I can't count the number of times I've seen someone post a really poor looking specimen of a breed and ask, "What do you think of my (fill in the blank)?" And the response is exactly as Janet stated. Personally, I think that is an injustice to the breed and to the person asking the question. Constructive criticism given in a respectful manner is far better.

I recently posted an innocent, simple question on a Club forum and the Secretary of that Club chose to remove my post and malign me by impugning my integrity and motives rather than even ask me why I would make such a post. The post was completely misread but the PC police didn't want to risk offending anyone and as a result everybody has "beautiful birds" and "nice pictures".

It's really just sad. I hope Walt and others can continue to give honest feedback.

God Bless,

By way of clarification, we DO allow feedback when made in a helpful, constructive way. We do not allow bullying or flaming. Like most walks of life, the lesson to take is that it's mostly not about what you say, but how you say it.

The problem with posts made on threads like this or others is that people can completely misconstrue and misread "how one says it". And if one is gonna accuse someone of bullying or flaming, either it better be so clear that there is no chance of being wrong and nobody else would disagree with them or they need to let us all know that God has given them the ability to know the motives and heart of another because up to now, as far as I know, He has reserved that right for Himself.

I once asked a judge what he thought of my Buckeye cockerel and he said, "I'd cut the head off that bird and eat it!" A good number of people I know would've started crying about how he hurt their feelings. I was more interested in why he said that and what I needed to do better.

Janet is absolutely right. And most of the forums I've followed are doing just what she wrote. One post recently said, "Last year I was informed (on a different FB page) that the parent stock for these young birds was inferior quality, wrong color, not from Ohio etc, etc, . I went forward with my breeding plan anyway. Humm. guess the critics were wrong.! Check these fine pullets and cockerels out!" To which this reply was given, "I think the people who are so busy being critical of other people's birds should just hush up and work on their own. What's that Bible verse about taking the plank out of your own eye before trying to take the splinter out of mine again?" One of the cockerels in the picture he posted had what appeared to be pure white legs on a breed that is supposed to have yellow legs. I wanted to let him know but after his comments and the reply, there was no way I was gonna. Now he's left thinking he's got a great bird there and thanks to the reply given so do a whole lot of others likely who may be new to the breed.

Doesn't seem to me that helps anyone.

God Bless,

I think there is a big difference between actively choosing to ask for constructive criticism of one's birds, and posting photos of them soliciting same (as we are doing here); and posting a photo somewhere else and having someone offer unsolicited, non-constructive, critical comments out of the blue, which is what happened in that particular instance.

Big difference.

So, have we run low on Buckeye class material?

If so, we can begin to look forward to the next unit.

There are a couple of American Class breeds left, but the Hollands and Lamona are so rare that participation might be hard to come by. The English, Continental and Mediterranean classes also have extremely rare breeds, but many popular breeds that would hold a lot of interest.

So, let's see those Buckeyes and let's ask those questions and make those comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom