Cut back on cholesterol and saturated fat...

Quote:
lau.gif
That didn't work out like you wanted it to did it?

The trouble with using medication to lower cholesterol, is that all you are doing is fighting your bodies first aid kit.
The more you fight it, the worse the real underlying condition becomes, and the cholesterol then has two enemies.

And again, cholesterol from food has no bearing on blood cholesterol.

So, from my point of view, how does one so completely change their lifestyles? I dont LIKE very much real food. I like pizza, and pop, and Burgher King double cheeseburgers. I like cheese, and peanut butter, and ice cream. I love most all fast food, much better than cooked at home food, although I do cook at home a lot more than eating out.

Real foods I dont like:

Most veggies, bleh.
wheat flour

Real foods I DO like:
Meat
Fish
Milk
Lard
Fruits

I hate veggies. Most ALL veggies. I like corn, potaoes, some beans. I like tomatoes if they are cooked, but not raw.

I don't like wheat bread, and prefer storebought bread over homemade.

I would die without mountain dew, I think.

I work in fast food, and therefor eat way more of it than I should, and love every fat dripping bite.

So, how would I totally transform my eating habits?

Quote:
Guess what? You can have all of the above. Its all in ho wits made and from what its made.
You make the trasnformation by taking it one step at a time.

I would first of all cut out all sugars. You may use raw honey and good maple syrup in moderation.
You can use small amounts of truely raw sugar, wich is called Rapadura or Sucanat.
You body is going to go through some major withdrawal symptoms though. You will see first hand how addictive sugar is.
And start eating real butter. That will help a great deal.
As to the vege dislikes, I feel for you. Most of us grew up with parents that murdered veges for the table.
Properly prepared, you will find that you are craving them.
To deal with your soda addiction, you can start slowly drinking something called Kombucha. I recommend making it at home, as its very spendy to buy though.
And that is another point. It can seem so expensive to make the switch, but, if you sat down and tallyed up how much money you spend on fake, refined and processed foods every year, you would be shocked.
And none of it is nourishing, to say the least.

May I introduce you to some wonderful traditional food bloggers who can show you how easy and flat out delicious it truly is?
www.cheeseslave.com is the first place I would head.
Her post today, tells a bit about another real food blogger, that is teaching an ecourse on real traditional foods, and how to make it work in your home.
Two other ladies are working on something similiar as well.

www.kellythekitchenkop.com hosts Real Food Wednesdays, where about 40 of us real foodies post our latest info and recipes.
We all started out by reading Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon, www.westonaprice.org , and also the book linked a few posts back.

Take a look around your local Craigs list, to see if anyone is advertising things like pastured beef and, depending on your state, raw grassfed milk. www.realmilk.com can help you locate milk as well.

And the number one suppliment that makes all the difference in the world, is fermented cod liver oil/butter oil.
www.drrons.com
It has meant the my hubbys Type 1 is so under control that he never gets infections any more, any cuts or scratches heal as if he was very young again, and his neuropathy has partially reversed.
We also both have had our cavities reverse.
Can you see all the savings we have made right there? No more fillings, no more antibiotics, etc.
My poor little food blog is www.sustainablefirstfruits.blogspot.com
I plan to work with my brother to get my own .com and setit up properly later on this year.
Here is my mothers, www.seedsofnutrition.com

OK, I need to stop here, as my brain is running amuck, lol!

Feel free to ask me pointed questions, and I will do my best to answer them.

Quote:
That is eating too much carbohydrates. Particularly refined carbohydrates...read pop, chips, kool-aid, sugary snacks, pasta, rice, crackers, baked goods (yes, even homemade ones). Carbohydrates turn to glucose in the body. Too much glucose (normal amount of blood sugar is no more than a little less than 1tsp) causes an insulin response. Too much insulin, causes insulin resistance which means your blood sugar stays too high....ergo diabetes. Diabetes (type 2) has nothing to do with genetics and everything to do with diet. Saying or thinking anything else is a cop out. High blood sugar happens whether your fat or thin, black or white, christian or muslim...it doesn't discriminate.

Diseases of civilization, diabetes, high blood pressure, cavities, cancer...ect. don't happen in tradiional hunter-gather societies. Ask yourself, "Why is that?" The answer is they don't eat refined crap. They eat meat and the fat thats attached to the meat and what fruits and veggies nature gives to them. To be more blunt, they eat from nature.....not industry!
smile.png

I agree, many in our society eat too many refined food, but that alone doesn't make you a diabetic at 30 unless you are very obese and that is your dietary mainstay. There has to be some genetics at play. I do aerobic excersize 3 days a week, I eat whole grains, no sugar, no meats (vegetarian), No fats or oils but olive oil, no soda, etc. most of the people reading this would not enjoy the diet I am on at all, but you can accept what you have to do in life or you can fight it, I accept my dietary restrictions. But that is not preventing me from having high blood pressure and high blood sugar. Like I said, genetics loads the gun, habits pull the trigger. You don't have to resign yourself to diseases like diabetes or high blood pressure, you do need to recognize if you have a history in your family and be realistic about what you are doing dietarily and physically to increase the chances of developing that disease.

How do I make a pizza? Or I should say, if I was able to eat wheat, how would I do it.... ( I have celiacs
wink.png
so I use teff flour to make an additive free crust)

Ok. I would make a sourdough crust. Prebake it at 500 degrees for a few minutes.
Then, slather it with good organic tomato sauce, seasoned with spices out of the cupboard.
I would cook up some wild game sausage/burger, or grassfed burger/sausage for the meat, and then layer on veges of choice.
A simple cheese that is not too spendy, but is from grassfed cows, is the Tillamook brand. Grate your own though, as the pregrated is coated with nasty stuff.

Same principle applies to burgers. Good sourdough buns, and all natural fillers.

The reason we all love fast foods, is because of the high levels of MSG in all of it.
It creates a fake sensation of being nourished, while it slowly kills you with its neurotoxins.
It creates a very strong addiciton that must be fed.

Quote:
So true, people who eat a lot of fast food are addicted, they THINK they like it. I don't eat fast food, but on the few occasions I have tried (like on road trips, etc.) it makes me ill. I really can't stand any of it.

Quote:
That is eating too much carbohydrates. Particularly refined carbohydrates...read pop, chips, kool-aid, sugary snacks, pasta, rice, crackers, baked goods (yes, even homemade ones). Carbohydrates turn to glucose in the body. Too much glucose (normal amount of blood sugar is no more than a little less than 1tsp) causes an insulin response. Too much insulin, causes insulin resistance which means your blood sugar stays too high....ergo diabetes. Diabetes (type 2) has nothing to do with genetics and everything to do with diet. Saying or thinking anything else is a cop out. High blood sugar happens whether your fat or thin, black or white, christian or muslim...it doesn't discriminate.

Diseases of civilization, diabetes, high blood pressure, cavities, cancer...ect. don't happen in tradiional hunter-gather societies. Ask yourself, "Why is that?" The answer is they don't eat refined crap. They eat meat and the fat thats attached to the meat and what fruits and veggies nature gives to them. To be more blunt, they eat from nature.....not industry!
smile.png

I agree, many in our society eat too many refined food, but that alone doesn't make you a diabetic at 30 unless you are very obese and that is your dietary mainstay. There has to be some genetics at play. I do aerobic excersize 3 days a week, I eat whole grains, no sugar, no meats (vegetarian), No fats or oils but olive oil, no soda, etc. most of the people reading this would not enjoy the diet I am on at all, but you can accept what you have to do in life or you can fight it, I accept my dietary restrictions. But that is not preventing me from having high blood pressure and high blood sugar. Like I said, genetics loads the gun, habits pull the trigger. You don't have to resign yourself to diseases like diabetes or high blood pressure, you do need to recognize if you have a history in your family and be realistic about what you are doing dietarily and physically to increase the chances of developing that disease.

If you eat no/low fat, and never soak your grains, you have created the perfect environment for your conditions.
You can still be a veg, but with a few modifications. Sourdough, or at least overnight soakingof all your grains to reduce/eliminate phytic acid, and using plenty of real fats like raw coconut oil and even palm oil.
Raw milk and butter are also excellent choices, if you are ok with them.

Would you be willing to try and experiment to see what would happen if you tried these changes?
Traditional foods is mostly about the preperation of real food. Proper preperation of grains has been lost in the last 100 years, and it is causing a huge amount of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom