Cut back on cholesterol and saturated fat...

Quote:
I agree, many in our society eat too many refined food, but that alone doesn't make you a diabetic at 30 unless you are very obese and that is your dietary mainstay. There has to be some genetics at play. I do aerobic excersize 3 days a week, I eat whole grains, no sugar, no meats (vegetarian), No fats or oils but olive oil, no soda, etc. most of the people reading this would not enjoy the diet I am on at all, but you can accept what you have to do in life or you can fight it, I accept my dietary restrictions. But that is not preventing me from having high blood pressure and high blood sugar. Like I said, genetics loads the gun, habits pull the trigger. You don't have to resign yourself to diseases like diabetes or high blood pressure, you do need to recognize if you have a history in your family and be realistic about what you are doing dietarily and physically to increase the chances of developing that disease.

If you eat no/low fat, and never soak your grains, you have created the perfect environment for your conditions.
You can still be a veg, but with a few modifications. Sourdough, or at least overnight soakingof all your grains to reduce/eliminate phytic acid, and using plenty of real fats like raw coconut oil and even palm oil.
Raw milk and butter are also excellent choices, if you are ok with them.

Would you be willing to try and experiment to see what would happen if you tried these changes?
Traditional foods is mostly about the preperation of real food. Proper preperation of grains has been lost in the last 100 years, and it is causing a huge amount of trouble.

I don't eat low fat, I don't believe in it. Tell us about the benefits of soaking your grains?

Last edited:
Quote:
If you eat no/low fat, and never soak your grains, you have created the perfect environment for your conditions.
You can still be a veg, but with a few modifications. Sourdough, or at least overnight soakingof all your grains to reduce/eliminate phytic acid, and using plenty of real fats like raw coconut oil and even palm oil.
Raw milk and butter are also excellent choices, if you are ok with them.

Would you be willing to try and experiment to see what would happen if you tried these changes?
Traditional foods is mostly about the preperation of real food. Proper preperation of grains has been lost in the last 100 years, and it is causing a huge amount of trouble.

I don't eat low fat, I don't believe in it. Tell us about the benefits of soaking your grains?

I see you do eat olive oil, but you mention that is the only fat you do eat.
There is an interesting problem with natural fats that are liquid at room temp. If they are heated, they become unstable. If they are heated to much, they become toxic and sticky.
They also have no fat soluble vitamins. Olive oil as the only fat can actually cause weight gain, due to the type of fatty chain acid it is. It is way to involved to try and explain here. The podcast linked here, will give you a very good overview of fats. http://www.cheeseslave.com/2007/12/21/sally-fallon-on-fats-and-why-they-are-essential/
Its
saturated fats that nourish the whole body, and will never cause any clogging.

Soaking grains...coming up ...

Olive oil is the only fat I add to anything. I do eat whole fat cheese or dairy products, but not butter. My husband is spanish, and we eat a lot of medditeranean. The grains I eat are mostly oats, barley, quinoa and wheat in breads or flour.

Weighty subjects, and time constraints as they are, here is a quick way to explain soaking grains.

From wikki
Sprouting grains causes increased activities of hydrolytic enzymes, improvements in the contents of total proteins, fat, certain essential amino acids, total sugars, B-group vitamins, and a decrease in dry matter, starch and anti-nutrients. The increased contents of protein, fat, fibre and total ash are only apparent and attributable to the disappearance of starch. However, improvements in amino acid composition, B-group vitamins, sugars, protein and starch digestibilities, and decrease in phytates and protease inhibitors are the metabolic effects of the sprouting process.

Phytic acid occurs primarily in the seed coats and germ of plant seeds. It forms insoluble or nearly insoluble compounds with minerals including calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc, such that they cannot be effectively absorbed into the blood. Diets high in phytic acid and poor in these minerals produce mineral deficiency symptoms in experimental animals (Gontzea and Sutzescu, 1958, as cited in Chavan and Kadam, 1989). Source

According to the naturopath and herbalist Isabell Shipard (Shipard, 2005), “Sprouts are a tremendous source of (plant) digestive enzymes. Enzymes act as biological catalysts needed for the complete digestion of protein, carbohydrates & fats. The physiology of vitamins, minerals and trace elements is also dependent on enzyme activity.” Source

Grains and legume seeds of all plants contain abundant enzymes. However, while grains and seeds are dry, enzymes are largely inactive, due to enzyme inhibitors, until given moisture to activate germination. It is these inhibitors that enable many seeds to last for years in soil without deteriorating, whilst waiting for moisture. Enzyme inhibitors in some grains and legume seeds (for example trypsin inhibitors in raw soybeans and certain other beans and peas) need to be inactivated by heating or other processes, before they can be safely fed. However, heating, cooking and grinding processes can also inactivate certain digestive enzymes within grains and seeds. Fortunately, during germination and sprouting of grains and seeds, many enzyme inhibitors are effectively neutralized, whilst at the same time the activity of beneficial plant digestive enzymes is greatly enhanced. Source

http://www.cheeseslave.com/2009/11/17/why-soak-and-sprout-grains/

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Good for you. To up the anti (sp?) can you get your dairy raw?
I have a thread called Milk Diet, that shows the nutriton difference between whole raw and whole pasturized.
th.gif

I wish I could eat barley, but it contains the gluten fraction that I cannot have though. I do eat quinoa, oats, teff and rice though.
If I and my parents had grown up soaking and making sourdough, my father and I would most liely not have Celiacs.
Wheat today contains 7 times the gluten then it used to. Add to that making flour containing foods quickly, (and breads that contain even more added gluten) and you have a recipe for disaster in the long run
hit.gif

There is one store that sells raw milk. I am planning on getting some milk goats next year. I have experience with dairy animals, and (meaning, I know how to milk and process milk) my family loves goat milk and cheese.

This reminds me, I make my dogs thier own dog food because of how terrible (full of allergens and toxins) dog food is. I reccomend it to anyone who wants healthier dogs.

Last edited:
We are getting goats next year as well. We will most likely be moving to live on family property, so we will have tons of space.

Say, you might be interested in what Anne Marie (cheeseslave) has to say about blood pressure, and how food allergies factor in.
Just plug it into her search bar.

Thats a really great site you posted. I just read something about "fake" olive oil. I guess real olive oild should solidify in the fridge. Now I am wondering if I have been using good stuff or not....I try to get direct from spain olive oil because they have different oil standards, but now I am wondering if I have been careful enough.....I am going to refrigerate my oils to see if they solidify.

Back
Top Bottom