deaths door peacock

thank you guys so much. Also, then hen probably weights about 10 lbs and the male maybe 5lbs or possibly less, would that have any effect on the dose? Hes starting to process food at a faster rate tonight then last night. But still real weak. I'm going to leave some food with him between feeds to see if he'll eat some on his own.
Thats sound great, yes the dose will depend on the weight, i think for Safeguard its 0.4 or 0.5 per Kg, hens usually weigh between 3.5 to 4 Kg, so i usually give adult hens 2 cc.

The male should be heavier of course if he wasn't sick.

thank you guys so much. Also, then hen probably weights about 10 lbs and the male maybe 5lbs or possibly less, would that have any effect on the dose? Hes starting to process food at a faster rate tonight then last night. But still real weak. I'm going to leave some food with him between feeds to see if he'll eat some on his own.

That is a good point and should be taken into consideration, but don't worry about overdosing, Kathy has given ten times the dosage and had not seen any ill effects.

Call your local vet and ask if they will do a fecal float exam, it should only cost about $20 and could tell you if you even need to treat for worms. If the problem is cocci or a bacterial disease a different approach would be called for. Another benefit is if it was only roundworms a one-day treatment would clear them up without the other four days, a one-day follow up in ten days would still be needed.

Ok, I gave him 1.5 about 2 hours ago, just give him another 1.5 now and 3 for the next 5 days or reduce it for the following days, ive read so much I just don't want to get it confused.

You *need* to weigh him! Dose is 0.23 ml per pound for five days in a row. He also needs Pedialyte, lots of it.

-Kathy

Sad to say, but he just passed, ironically just moments after I came back home from the store and mins later it starts pouring down rain. Just another hard lesson learned the hard way, but until I realize it I'll keep making the wrong choice to trust someone's word. These were supposed to be two very healthy birds who had just been checked and given clean bills of health by a vet. I ultimately paid $200 for a hen, who's also under par. Thanks everyone for your help though.

Get an accurate weight on him, then weigh each day. Also best if you can keep him in a warm room, 80-85 is ideal.

Fluids before food! Tube warmed Pedialyte at 10-15 ml per pound, repeat in 60-90 minutes if crop has cleared, then once more in 2-4 hours.

Can you post a picture of his poop?

-kathy

Sad to say, but he just passed, ironically just moments after I came back home from the store and mins later it starts pouring down rain. Just another hard lesson learned the hard way, but until I realize it I'll keep making the wrong choice to trust someone's word. These were supposed to be two very healthy birds who had just been checked and given clean bills of health by a vet. I ultimately paid $200 for a hen, who's also under par. Thanks everyone for your help though.

I'm so sorry! I know this is hard to do, but it would be a very good idea to do a necropsy.
[ATTACHMENT=675]Poultry-necropsy-Manual.pdf (1,860k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Now is also a good time to get a baseline weight on your hen.

-Kathy

after the rain, I plan to get a weight, just to really know how bad he really was. I did notice that the last poop had grass from the first night I got him, 2 nights ago. I think he was just starved to death, there was no other signs of actual food in his system until we got him two nights ago and started tube feeding within 8 hours after that. The people who we got them from brought 6 eggs with them, I already have them in our incubator I've been hatching chickens and turkeys in, but in his condition I don't see how they would be fertile, but I figure its worth a week or so just to see. What would be a good time line to determine if they are infertile one week or two?

I can take pics of the necropsy if you would like, the hardest part will be finding the parts, he's just a skeleton. But ill have my husband do the examining, we just found out I'm expecting and we're just concerned with anything I might could get sick with the male having been in such bad shape. But I'd like to know what ultimately caused his death, if it were human neglect or worms.

Back
Top Bottom