Dixie Rainbows Thread

Do you know those are meat birds? They are the same as freedom rangers, they just can't call them that. They are a slower grower then CX's. They reach market weight at 12 weeks. Looks like you are going to have some good eats. Yum Yum
Michele

On their web page the say they reach market weight in 12 weeks. I bet they started pooping real good now huh? They taste really good and will forage excellent if aloud, if you don't they will eat a lot. Mine weighed 8 lbs for roosters and 6-7 lbs for the girls at 12 weeks. Yummy

I'm finding that they eat and poop the same as my Easter Egger chicks, they are just more laid back. I wanted to try something different and Mt. Healthy recommended these to me. I have been very please with my Easter Eggers from them last year, they have layed all winter! I can't wait to see how this breed unfolds for me, I have 1 Rooster and 9 Hens to be. I'll try to keep this updated as they grow and mature.

I only have one hen, decided to sell them off, but kept one to see how she would grow out and lay. She is turned out to be a nice big bird, a little skiddish but not terrified of me. I can definitely seeing these as meat birds. As you will see in the pic below, she is already bigger than the Easter Egger, who is the same age and the Speckled Sussex who is 2 weeks older than her. She does well in this mixed juvenile flock, but she will be moving over to my mix pen soon, with my big Cochin Rooster. I just wasn't impressed with the lot of them, all ended up the same color and they seemed a little lazy, even to free range. She was the spunkiest of the group and the smallest! So here is Dixie, hoping she will be laying within the next month or so!

I bought one Dixie Rainbow (named her Dixie Chick) in March. Back then I could find no info or pics for Dixie Rainbows. At same time I bought some Black Laced Wyannotes (?) and some other black breed. Dixie is very tall, and all buff colored, except a few black "freckles" on her neck and very back. Everyone of my little girls in the juvenile cage are lazy when it come to eating anything but their chicken feed. I am looking for eggs every day now in their pen.

Here are some of my chicks - hatched 4/16/13 and photo taken today on 5/8/13 - they are at LEAST twic the size of the speckled sussex chicks that were hatched the same day...

Last edited:
These girls are so stinking friendly that I have finally decided to keep them for eggs! I called the Hatchery this morning and the gal said they lay over 250 eggs a year and lay very large brown eggs. With as friendly as these girls are, I have gotten rather attached and really was not liking the idea of processing them... Instead, I am going to order 100 of the meat chick mix (all boys) and grow them out instead! They are much cheaper anyway! LOL

Thought I would add a few new photos of the Dixie Rainbow pullets as they grow...

The Dixie in the next photo was hatched the same exact day as the Speckled Sussex chicks - you can see the size difference!

Back
Top Bottom