DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

@aart
I was going to use my fish tank heater but ended up throwing in the stock tank heater in a hurry. I guess I'll find out in the next day or 2 if it keeps them open. I do have the fish tank heater but haven't put it out there yet.

So we can compare.

@Leahs Mom ..and we have almost identical climates...I'm only 30 miles north of the border, but we do get some buffering from the lake(15 miles west).

@evemfoster will have to keep us posted on her climate temperatures.

OK cool....you use the timer and I won't....it'll be a good technique comparison for future use.

I too was wondering about the water being 75F, but again am concerned about the water in the lip outside the bucket freezing the spring:

And my jug is pretty well sealed with a rubber stopper with a small hole for vacuum release, so I'm not too worried about evaporation.

I have a KWH meter to track how much power I use.

Are you keeping track of the temp of your water and your power usage?

I can't keep track of the power usage but its a 45 watt heater and is on only on 18 minutes an hour right now. I will know if i have to add more time in the morning. I am trying to get the power usage down in the coop far enough that i can run the coop off of a solar panel or two. Right now the heated water is taking it over the power limit. The lights in the coop are a string of LEDs. One solar panel for the lights is ok on sunny days but doesn't quite make it on cloudy days. I been testing a similar setup in the house above the computer for a couple months now. Its saved me nearly 30 bucks on the power bill so far. That string is staying in the house forever.

The subject of heated water seems never ending huh?

My schedule has not allowed me to broaden into the nipples, so I take the easy way out...a 5 gallon bucket, cinder blocked to prevent tipping and what a pain it was last year! First tried the cookie tin, and running out of bulbs at the most inopportune time!

This year, with the recent cold snap, I ran out and picked up submers heater for fish tank........the cost doesn't bother me so much as we have 2 water features that use pumps when weather is warmer, and I just emptied and shut those down for the year, so I actually may be saving money in winter.

Here in Kansas it is 24 currently, and next week? Probably 70. Dang midwest crazy weather!

:he

I live in Maine. Last year it was 15 below zero in the coop for several days. Way below freezing for weeks at a time. No insulation, no heat, 5 birds. They all did great. Ventilation is much more important than heat. I also only lost one egg the whole winter to freezing. I feed, grab any eggs in the morning and then gather eggs at night when I get home from work.
well that makes me feel better hearing that, we have an old shed repurposed into a coop so it has son insulation, probably pretty old though. It was -1 in the coop today around 3 with an I fared heat lamp all day. It is expected to be -10 to -20 by tomorrow am in this area with wind chill, so I was a little concerned. I keep telling myself they will be fine and it helps reading posts like yours and the one from Fairbanks. Thanks

Last edited:
The subject of heated water seems never ending huh?

My schedule has not allowed me to broaden into the nipples, so I take the easy way out...a 5 gallon bucket, cinder blocked to prevent tipping and what a pain it was last year! First tried the cookie tin, and running out of bulbs at the most inopportune time!

This year, with the recent cold snap, I ran out and picked up submers heater for fish tank........the cost doesn't bother me so much as we have 2 water features that use pumps when weather is warmer, and I just emptied and shut those down for the year, so I actually may be saving money in winter.

Here in Kansas it is 24 currently, and next week? Probably 70. Dang midwest crazy weather!

he.gif

Keeping water free flowing this time of year its a concern for many places and many types of stock.... Horses are very susceptible colic induced by no access to water.... fortunately for us they can crack their own ice up to about a quarter inch thick...

Another way to keep water free of ice is to add in a bubbler.... No help though in very severe climates...

deb

A bubbler helped me until -10C. Bought a heated horse bucket this time, ducks need open water ( not that chickens don't )The first day it froze solid they ran to me in a panic when I brought them water...my ducks don't run to me ever...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom