dog! WARNING,RANT!

x2

However,I think all States/Territories/Protectorates allow one to retire any pred (domestic or wild) that is attacking a human. If the authorities HAVE to be called it is best to do it immediately and report a vicious dog (snapping/rushing humans- who were attempting to protect their poultry/children/disabled adults - not `just' attacking poultry) on one's property that had to be put down We've had good luck just letting everyone know that we keep poison bait out in woods for fox/coyote "gee, wouldn't want anything bad happening to that fine dog of yours...". There is really nothing they can say (check local regs on baiting for nuisance wildlife).. I always remain somewhat cheerful and exceedingly polite - particularly when inquiring after the dog owner's opinion on whether a loose dog represents nothing more than road kill waiting to happen.
Also, therapy/meds for PTSD following a dog attack can be very expensive to dog owner. Best strategy is to never give the dog owner an opportunity to conclude `they were just chickens' rather, keep them focused on observing `I'm being pretty stupid about dealing with the humans who happen to own the poultry'.
I" love" the they are just chickens. Well that dog of yours that I just shot was just a dog. You can get them for free on CL. shelters have so many that they have to put them down, even the young ones. Show ME the last time somebody offered free baby chicks in an AD.

Not only getting on other people's property but going after people too? I agree with the person who advised on SSS. I have roughly zero tolerance for human aggressive dogs.

Yes these are very aggressive animals. However, I believe it has a lot to do with how they were raised. The owner should never be allowed to have any animal! When my dog had her pup, his DIL, who lives there as well, asked if she could have the pup. I told my DH, "I don't care if Susie had 17 pups, I wouldn't let her have one! " They are very cruel to their animals!

I feel your pain. I had two husky dogs come in an kill 70 chickens. I live in PA. Where I live the dog wardens don't really have any authority. Called the state police an I was told if my chickens are in danger shot the dog an don't call them. It's sad that a dog is left to do that. I got money from the state for the chickens. It didn't pay for the feed I had in them. It mainly falls on the owner not the dog. I have a lab he love to play with the chickens. Never once hurt or killed any. But it's all training an he does go hunting with me. Check all the laws before you shot the dog.

Dogs like that dont last long out here. We had two German Shepard's that were roaming 10-15 miles out from the owners home. They took out 5 of our chickens and our neighbors goats (8 goats in one night. ripped open the pin). We called animal control to report the issue and found out the laws. The owners of the dogs had to pay for the animals that were killed. We were told we could shoot the dogs on our property if they were going after livestock or people!

Two days after that the dogs were out again and that was the last time anyone has seen them. One of our neighbors ("Old Man" his nickname as he has lived on the same land for 60 of his 80 years and as far as we all know has always been old) told everyone to stop worrying about them dogs! We asked what happened and he said "I dont know but dont worry about em anymore!"

Check your local laws. You can do a quick google search on this and you may be plesently shocked at what is legal for you.

I read a comment about nevertheless tabbing a dog's collar. Very true. But what do you do? I just read about breaking up a dog fight/attack.

First tip was hose them down, distract them.
Second, physically block them from their target with a cushion, wood, etc.
Last ditch effort is grab their hind legs at the hips and swing them around and away. Depending on the dog, all it takes is being removed from the target.

Not sure how handy these tips would be if a chicken ended up in a dogs mouth, but good to know in case they get to your dog, or god forbid, child. Granted if the later where to happen, I think even I would be all for shooting the dog.

Not chicken related, but I was walking my greyhound and we got rushed by two shepherds. I was distracted at the time and instinctively just started shouting at the dogs as they approached and charged back a bit. They definitely weren't expecting that and backed up and left us alone. I suspect they just wanted to bark and no actually aggressive intentions were there, or that tactic would have gotten me and my dog bitten, but it also potentially saved us from that happening.

I read a comment about nevertheless tabbing a dog's collar. Very true. But what do you do? I just read about breaking up a dog fight/attack.

First tip was hose them down, distract them.
Second, physically block them from their target with a cushion, wood, etc.
Last ditch effort is grab their hind legs at the hips and swing them around and away. Depending on the dog, all it takes is being removed from the target.

Not sure how handy these tips would be if a chicken ended up in a dogs mouth, but good to know in case they get to your dog, or god forbid, child. Granted if the later where to happen, I think even I would be all for shooting the dog.

Not chicken related, but I was walking my greyhound and we got rushed by two shepherds. I was distracted at the time and instinctively just started shouting at the dogs as they approached and charged back a bit. They definitely weren't expecting that and backed up and left us alone. I suspect they just wanted to bark and no actually aggressive intentions were there, or that tactic would have gotten me and my dog bitten, but it also potentially saved us from that happening.

Do not grab a dog by the back legs in a dog fight. I hate that this method gets touted so much! A dog in fight mode will just whip right around and redirect onto the person grabbing them from behind. Believe me, they can and will get all the way back to you! Dumping/spraying with water, shouting and stomping, or even blasting an air horn can often shock dogs into stopping. It is helpful to have leashes or slip leads on hand to loop around a dog's neck and drag it away from the other dog.

Like anything with animals, it's always vital to assess the situation. If the dog is in an over excited play mode, grabbing the legs is safe. If the dog is truly in a kill mode, there may be nothing you can do but kill the dog first in extreme situations.

Obviously I don't want to spread incorrect information. Anything dealing with any animal must be dealt with situation by situation with clear judgement.

Back
Top Bottom