Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

I have a question about incubating Muscovy eggs - I have eggs in my incubator and are due the second week in January - my girls are laying like crazy so I took 36 out of one box today - can I add them in with these eggs already started or should I just wait until they are hatched and start a new batch separate - and how long are the eggs ok to leave out or should I refrigerate until ready to put in incubator

How messy are they?
Not much difference than other domestics.. They will eat and carry their food in their mouths to the water so usually when I dump the water bucket at end of day to refill it has lots of food in it. They like to dabble if there is a mud hole, and if the pool is full they will get in and bathe.

I got my muscovy for meat, I have four ladies and two males. They are lovely friendly ducks. I find them less messy than my rouen and blue Swedish (as far as splashing water goes) they love to swim but spend around a quarter of the time in the pond. I don't clip their wings, not yet anyway, it's such a pleasure to watch them fly. I love their vocalizations. My others ducks where hand raised but these muscovy (not hand raised, purchased 2 at ages 3 year old and the other four at 6 weeks) are far friendlier, the four younger ones are the fliers they land on my deck and given the chance will come in the house. I expect it will be hard to butcher them (butchering is never easy) because they are so sweet. The males grow so fast! It's crazy. I found them way easier to sex than my other breeds because of this.

They are all so beautiful. I especially like the chocolates.

What is the purpose of their red skin faces? Are there differences in the male's face vs. females? (did I miss all of this in the description?)

Back
Top Bottom