Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
Quote:
Mule Ducks or Moulards

Muscovy and domestic ducks (such as the Pekin - which were developed from Mallards) are very different as they have been genetically isolated for over 50 million years. They can be crossed but you get some very interesting results. If you cross a Muscovy male with a Pekin female you will hatch moulards (or mule ducks); if you cross a Pekin male with a Muscovy female the progeny are called hinnies.
In Europe and in Asia many mule ducks are produced because of their large size, quality liver and reduced fat content in the carcass. Artificial insemination has been developed in ducks due to the desire to produce mule ducks. If left to mate naturally, the fertility is only 20-30%. Artificial insemination brings the fertility up to 80%. Whereas a Pekin takes 28 days to hatch and a Muscovy takes 35 days, a mule or hinny takes 32 days to hatch.
Approximately 60% of mule ducks are males. Some of their characteristics are like the Muscovy as they are large, quiet, slow moving and have long claws but are also like Pekin as they swim well, the males and females are much the same size and they do not fly.
Hinnies are not grown commercially. Males hinnies are much larger than female hinnies, like the muscovy, yet the females look like Pekins but fly quite well.
Mules and hinnies cannot reproduce. Both males are sterile and only the hinny females lay eggs (though they cannot hatch). If you have Muscovy and Pekin together, the chances are poor that they will cross but if they do, a hinny will probably be the result as Pekin males can catch Muscovy females easier than Muscovy males can catch Pekin females.

-Kathy

Quote:
My lavender drake has a pekin lady that adores him
wink.png
The scovy hens usually chase her away from him, but he is persistent!

I got a few of these ducks because they were so different looking and the fact they are a strictly "new world" species. Also the fact they grow so big and the fact they eat tons of flies. oh ya...they can fly away from terrestrial predators. So... looks, meat and eggs, insect control and not totally defenceless.
I hadn't thought about their inability to handle the cold as well as the "mallard" breeds. So after loosing 20ish to the (very) sub-zero temps here I gave up on that dream.
Again, they do taste good and have good tasting eggs, good at insect control and evading ground predators.
Oh ya.... colors and patterns. I dislike "standardization" though, so the variations in colors and patterns is also a plus for me. And some of them are so pretty. Pied Lilac, Calico Marked Blue, Choclate Brown & White.  Blue and Black in an Andalusion pattern. WOW.   Genetic diversity is good.   

I'm in central British Columbia, no problems (as of yet) with the muscovy in the cold. Another BYC user keeps them in Alaska no problem, her temps are close to mine but it is more humid there. Gets into the minus 30's (Celsius) and some times lower here.
Your in the prairies? How cold was it when you lost your scovies?

Last edited:
I am in southern Manitoba and I have lost a big drake in the cold weather but other than the 1 loss all my Muscovies have done well in the winter.

Agreed!
Indiana, worst so far for my Muscovy flock was about 15 below. Same for us, 1 mature adult drake was lost. He had been injured and fully recovered from a stray dog the spring before. Just wasn't strong enough for the severe cold snap. Honestly, they just need a well ventilated dry coop to prevent frostbite and respiratory issues. I do not put water or food in any coop at night, it will draw rodents, predators in. The 6 hours a day I sleep or less they do fine without it.

As to the cold discussion, I live in Alaska at latitude 59 and at an elevation of 1,300 feet. I have a crazy amount of wind, at times I have many feet of snow. I only rarely get below -10F, so actually not too cold.

Mine do great, I haven't ever lost one due to the winter weather.

-- What made you decide to get this breed?

1. I heard that they were much cleaner than mallard type ducks and
2. Someone sold her flock for a good price

---Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?

The kids and I love their personalities, we love the way they taste, and I sell the ducklings.

-- What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?

They are much less messy than the mallard type ducks, and I love the fact that they are very smart, gorgeous (once you get over the caruncles), are great mothers, and wag their tails. They are also very low maintenance.

--Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

The orchard/main duck pen

Are there any special arrangements that I need to do for the muscovies? I'm thinking of getting a few but want to keep them together with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom