Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
That's a male trait. I've never seen a hen do it, they don't have the extra long feathers on the back of the head, they are smooth.

My hens do it, the younger 3 do it consistently when I talk to them, or my dog gets to close. It is more subtle than the male, because the feathers are not as long but they certainly do it.

Last edited:
My experience is the same as @hennible All of our Muscovies raise the feathers on their head, but I'm not seeing as an agressive trait as much as a social trait. And here's where things got really confusing for us - when we introduced 3 new ducklings to an existing flock, all three gravitated to the one drake we had. I'm not sure how relevant this is, but our existing flock was still young enough that we still couldn't tell the difference between our ducks and drakes. But what ended up as our big boy, was the one all three ducklings stuck the closest to. The ducks wanted nothing to do with the youngsters. And as far as aggressive behavior, neither of our males are agressive to us, just to every other living animal within breeding distance!! They are definitely horny young men, turning into randy old men!! Even our geese are not safe!! :)

It been funny to watch them, so far the only aggression with my muscovy has been amongst the girls (3 sisters) there are five total. The eldest female, basically the seragate mama has to break them up. The males have nothing to do with the squableing. I have some funny videos of them... Actually this goes for my other ducks as well, 9 times out of ten it's the ladies fussing with each other.

My experience is the same as @hennible All of our Muscovies raise the feathers on their head, but I'm not seeing as an agressive trait as much as a social trait. And here's where things got really confusing for us - when we introduced 3 new ducklings to an existing flock, all three gravitated to the one drake we had. I'm not sure how relevant this is, but our existing flock was still young enough that we still couldn't tell the difference between our ducks and drakes. But what ended up as our big boy, was the one all three ducklings stuck the closest to. The ducks wanted nothing to do with the youngsters. And as far as aggressive behavior, neither of our males are agressive to us, just to every other living animal within breeding distance!! They are definitely horny young men, turning into randy old men!! Even our geese are not safe!! :)
They are all very "randy fellas" for sure! I usually only keep 2 drakes and I probably have around 12-15 hens. My oldest boys are as big as a goose hen!

It been funny to watch them, so far the only aggression with my muscovy has been amongst the girls (3 sisters) there are five total. The eldest female, basically the seragate mama has to break them up. The males have nothing to do with the squableing. I have some funny videos of them... Actually this goes for my other ducks as well, 9 times out of ten it's the ladies fussing with each other.
The only time my boys fight is early into mating season. I try to have them separated well before then and into breeding pens.My 2 hens that will fight are the oldest, and best mothers. One is my favorite, Huey who I have no (human) problems with. The other, Physco will be human aggressive at her nest, or around her ducklings. Both girls will chase a strange duck that joins the main flock and pick a fight.

Did u google argentine lake duck? I salute them

I googled. LOL oh my... keep them away from my chickens
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom