Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
In some threads they say, "it didn't happen if you don't post a picture" lol.  I would love to see your all black scovy.  There is a genetics page that someone posted recently about what colors you will get.  If I can find it, I will send it to you.

X2

How old is she?  I am experiencing the same thing.  They should be laying whether they mated or not.  Ours are older females that we just got so I'm thinking we are still in adjustment mode.
ill post pictures when I get home, but thanks can't wait to hatch some. And I'm not sure how old she is, but I hope she lays soon.

Last edited:
How many eggs do Muscovies usually lay a year?
That depends.. if you faithfully collect eggs, mine will lay from around march to late fall. I have had surprise ducklings as late as october! Usually 4-5 eggs weekly per duck. I incubate until summer and then let moms raise some. Going into fall I will go back to incubating depending on how many I have left. I sell a lot of ducklings, lol. We do eat the eggs too, they are so awesome to make baked goods. Rich heavy cakes, cookies, yum!

I have a question about my 10 month old female muscovy. Just recently, maybe 3 weeks ago she started laying. She lays pretty regularly- and we started to notice about a week or so ago that her chirp/call/whistle she made has changed. She has begun making this new higher pitched chirp- like squeeky sound. She makes it often and I'm wondering what that change is all about. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? Is there a change that takes place with their sounds as they mature? It was a pretty drastic change so I'm just looking to figure it out.

I have a question about my 10 month old female muscovy. Just recently, maybe 3 weeks ago she started laying. She lays pretty regularly- and we started to notice about a week or so ago that her chirp/call/whistle she made has changed. She has begun making this new higher pitched chirp- like squeeky sound. She makes it often and I'm wondering what that change is all about. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? Is there a change that takes place with their sounds as they mature? It was a pretty drastic change so I'm just looking to figure it out.

She is maturing and learning her voice. Usually that sound means excitement, or frustration. Whats happening when you hear it, is a drake nearby, or a bird she does not like? That sound indicates she is either being disturbed by another bird and usually because the drake is about to chase her to mate.

Bob has something going on with his chest feathers. Can ducks get mange?? I'm pretty sure this is damaged caused by him putting his head through a chain link fence and bumping his chest. He's been out of the chain link pen for about 2 weeks and it hasn't improved. It hasn't gotten any worse either. It doesn't seem to bother him but it's starting to worry me. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

She is maturing and learning her voice. Usually that sound means excitement, or frustration. Whats happening when you hear it, is a drake nearby, or a bird she does not like? That sound indicates she is either being disturbed by another bird and usually because the drake is about to chase her to mate.
Ok, thanks, that makes sense. She had a high pitched warble before (which is what I expected for a muscovy) but when she makes this noise it's one pitch and it's very squeaky. At first I thought maybe she had clogged sinuses (if that's even possible). It seems the latter is more common now. We don't have a drake and she likes the other duck we have- she does it when we walk up to her on occasion but she lets us pet her and is extremely calm. She's made it sitting on her nest before and just when she's free ranging and we are near by. So perhaps it's excitement.

Bob has something going on with his chest feathers. Can ducks get mange?? I'm pretty sure this is damaged caused by him putting his head through a chain link fence and bumping his chest. He's been out of the chain link pen for about 2 weeks and it hasn't improved. It hasn't gotten any worse either. It doesn't seem to bother him but it's starting to worry me. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

That would be my thought. His feathers will come back when he molts. What a handsome drake!

Back
Top Bottom