Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
I have a question about muscovy's laying frequency. Most of my other laying ducks have, once they start laying, consistently lay daily- every other day. I have two ducks, the muscovy (Lucy) seems to share her nest and sit on the other duck's (Persi's) eggs. I usually collect them daily but on a few occasions there have been 4 eggs in the nest at a time (for a day before collecting). Is that enough for her to get broody? And, would her "adopting" Persi's eggs delay her laying. She went 2 days without laying- then when I checked on her today she was sitting on the egg that Persi had just layed. They started laying at the same time, and initially would lay consistently. I'm curious because I've never seen this behavior before from any of my other ducks and I'm always tracking their egg production ever since I lost my egg bound 9 month old ancona last year. This is my first time raising a muscovy and I'd like to be able to gauge what's "normal."

I have a question about muscovy's laying frequency. Most of my other laying ducks have, once they start laying, consistently lay daily- every other day. I have two ducks, the muscovy (Lucy) seems to share her nest and sit on the other duck's (Persi's) eggs. I usually collect them daily but on a few occasions there have been 4 eggs in the nest at a time (for a day before collecting). Is that enough for her to get broody? And, would her "adopting" Persi's eggs delay her laying. She went 2 days without laying- then when I checked on her today she was sitting on the egg that Persi had just layed. They started laying at the same time, and initially would lay consistently. I'm curious because I've never seen this behavior before from any of my other ducks and I'm always tracking their egg production ever since I lost my egg bound 9 month old ancona last year. This is my first time raising a muscovy and I'd like to be able to gauge what's "normal."
My scovy girls usually go 4 to 5 eggs out of 7 days. She will go broody all of mine do.

Wow, that's such a change from my other ducks- so even 1-2 eggs without a clutch can make a muscovy broody if the eggs are left there? And the sharing eggs and going broody for another duck's eggs is typical? It's super interesting to me. I'm really enjoying raising a muscovy- she's super smart and sweet and CALM. She let's us pet her like a dog. Has that been your experience also?

Wow, that's such a change from my other ducks- so even 1-2 eggs without a clutch can make a muscovy broody if the eggs are left there? And the sharing eggs and going broody for another duck's eggs is typical? It's super interesting to me. I'm really enjoying raising a muscovy- she's super smart and sweet and CALM. She let's us pet her like a dog. Has that been your experience also?
she will collect at least 8 normally before she nests. Yes, super social breed. I have one that will fly to my shoulder wanting her daily treat.

Ok, read all pages...whhooo...great thread!

I started with the breed last year thanks to @jchny2000 ;)
Rescued a drake and had 1 other drake with 4 hens.
All 4 of my beautiful girls were slain by a fox over winter. I acquired another hen from a fellow BYCER and hatching eggs from another. 5 hatched, i now have 6 more eggs due next week.
I began raising them for their lovely personality, beauty and meat.
I'm not experienced enough still in regards to colors but know i have rippled and pieds.
My rescue drake, uncertain of age but have been told he is blue pied. I thought he was lavender. .lol..

My other drake, black pied (believe he carries the lavender gene?)

I can't find the pic for my hen at the moment. .
These are my ducklings hatched in March and then pics of them yesterday.
I am pretty sure that I have 1 drake and 4 hens in this batch.
2 rippled (drake lavendar, duck black), 2 wild (chocolate pied?)and the 5th? I'm not sure what she is..her tail feathers look lavender or blue?

Ok, read all pages...whhooo...great thread!

I started with the breed last year thanks to @jchny2000
wink.png

Rescued a drake and had 1 other drake with 4 hens.
All 4 of my beautiful girls were slain by a fox over winter. I acquired another hen from a fellow BYCER and hatching eggs from another. 5 hatched, i now have 6 more eggs due next week.
I began raising them for their lovely personality, beauty and meat.
I'm not experienced enough still in regards to colors but know i have rippled and pieds.
My rescue drake, uncertain of age but have been told he is blue pied. I thought he was lavender. .lol..

My other drake, black pied (believe he carries the lavender gene?)

I can't find the pic for my hen at the moment. .
These are my ducklings hatched in March and then pics of them yesterday.
I am pretty sure that I have 1 drake and 4 hens in this batch.
2 rippled (drake lavendar, duck black), 2 wild (chocolate pied?)and the 5th? I'm not sure what she is..her tail feathers look lavender or blue?

Beautiful! And the lings are so cute
love.gif
Do your drakes all get along?

Fred (7 wks) is still putting on feathers so I'm keeping him in a house inside the big pen. I think he's a little special ed. He was an assisted hatch and is very slow in feathering. At what age do you put young ones out with the others? I have 1 other Muscovy drake, Bob. He's 1.5 yro and went straight for Fred when I had Fred out for a little bit. I'm worried.

Fred (7 wks) is still putting on feathers so I'm keeping him in a house inside the big pen. I think he's a little special ed. He was an assisted hatch and is very slow in feathering. At what age do you put young ones out with the others? I have 1 other Muscovy drake, Bob. He's 1.5 yro and went straight for Fred when I had Fred out for a little bit. I'm worried.

Dominant drakes are a bit rough. Usually its tail wagging and Haha's but if both are dominant, they fight. Take it slow, your older fella may accept him but they will have a dispute at some point. slow controlled introductions is your best bet or a grow up area thats see, can't touch the duckling.

Dominant drakes are a bit rough. Usually its tail wagging and Haha's but if both are dominant, they fight. Take it slow, your older fella may accept him but they will have a dispute at some point. slow controlled introductions is your best bet or a grow up area thats see, can't touch the duckling.
Thank you. He is in an area that they can see each other. Bob backs off when I start yelling now so maybe he isn't as aggressive as I thought. I only have one Muscovy hen and Fred is even afraid of her. These are my first Muscovies. I have some eggs in the bator now that I hope turn out to be girls for Fred
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom