Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
I have 2 of the Muscovy eggs with external pips!
1f60d.png

I can't wait!!

Now I'm going to have to take new pics because one of the previous 5 hatches...well all of a sudden I am constantly looking at what I thought was a girl, wondering if it's actually a drake!?!?

It's not as big as the very obvious drake but it just has a bit larger head and body than the others. Then other times it looks the same length as the girls just thicker body. @jchny2000 is it possible it's just a big girl?? just curious what your experience has been considering you've seen so many youngins'!
I have had a few hens that ran large. I questioned them almost all the way up to the following season! Especially in the wild types it seems. Excited for your pips, I have a week left until mine are due!

I have 2 of the Muscovy eggs with external pips!
1f60d.png

I can't wait!!

Now I'm going to have to take new pics because one of the previous 5 hatches...well all of a sudden I am constantly looking at what I thought was a girl, wondering if it's actually a drake!?!?

It's not as big as the very obvious drake but it just has a bit larger head and body than the others. Then other times it looks the same length as the girls just thicker body. @jchny2000 is it possible it's just a big girl?? just curious what your experience has been considering you've seen so many youngins'!
How did the hatching go? I hope all are well.

I have 5 active eggs on day 13 from the seven I started with. AND, my female Muscovy went broody on ten eggs
wee.gif

How did the hatching go?  I hope all are well.

I have 5 active eggs on day 13 from the seven I started with.  AND, my female Muscovy went broody on ten eggs:weee

Of the 7 eggs i set 6 made it to lockdown. 1 expired, 3 have hatched and yesterday when i candled 1 was moving the other not. Ive been faked out before with that and today is their actual hatch date so not giving up on them yet.

So far i have 2 "dusky" or atipico type and a black? barred or rippled.

I found an egg from my duck last week and set it just to see and it is developing. Strange ive not seen any more though?? It was just in the flower bed near our front walkway.

Of the 7 eggs i set 6 made it to lockdown. 1 expired, 3 have hatched and yesterday when i candled 1 was moving the other not. Ive been faked out before with that and today is their actual hatch date so not giving up on them yet.

So far i have 2 "dusky" or atipico type and a black? barred or rippled.

I found an egg from my duck last week and set it just to see and it is developing. Strange ive not seen any more though?? It was just in the flower bed near our front walkway.
love.gif
Congrats.

Quote: Great news!!! Sending hatching vibes
fl.gif

Quote: Occasionally I see that too. Youngest DD was sitting with Huey in her lap one day, and when she flew off, she left her an egg! Cassy and I went and set it in the bator, it was so fun for her.
The duckling on the right will be a black ripple, like my Physco girl. She is the broody that will all but starve herself guarding her eggs, I have to keep feed and water right next to her. The baby on the left is probably a duck, right drake just a guess from body type.

Great news!!! Sending hatching vibes
fl.gif

Thank you.

Occasionally I see that too. Youngest DD was sitting with Huey in her lap one day, and when she flew off, she left her an egg! Cassy and I went and set it in the bator, it was so fun for her.
The duckling on the right will be a black ripple, like my Physco girl. She is the broody that will all but starve herself guarding her eggs, I have to keep feed and water right next to her. The baby on the left is probably a duck, right drake just a guess from body type.
Ripple because there is a lot of color on the tail? Is that how you tell ripple from barred??

Quote: From what I have seen in my flock, its the same thing. Ripple is a yellow duckling with color in the tail, yes. Black ripple, black tail fuzz, lavender ripple, the tail is lavender or yellow. I keep blacks and lavenders so I can't speak on the other colors. Honestly tho am no expert, If someone has more info please do correct me.

From what I have seen in my flock, its the same thing. Ripple is a yellow duckling with color in the tail, yes. Black ripple, black tail fuzz, lavender ripple, the tail is lavender or yellow. I keep blacks and lavenders so I can't speak on the other colors. Honestly tho am no expert, If someone has more info please do correct me.
It's my understanding that the barred pattern molts out.... "Unlike the barred pattern, the ripple pattern will show on all feathers and will NOT molt out. The difference is this. Barring is a color (black, chocolate, blue, etc) and white in a striped pattern on the feather. Rippling is one color in 1-2 shades on each feather, no white, but also in a striped pattern." http://alsquackery.weebly.com/muscovy-ducks.html

Fred is a barred chocolate. He had a small about of tail color when hatched. But honestly, I can't tell the difference between barred and rippled.

Any guesses as to which colours these will have when they grow up?

The very edge of the light one's tail is dark.
The beak/feet on the lighter speckled one are light.

Any guesses as to which colours these will have when they grow up?

The very edge of the light one's tail is dark.
The beak/feet on the lighter speckled one are light.

Looks like you have 4 black Pied and whatever the tail feather are of the light one is a barred __. All just precious
love.gif
Here's a website that I find most helpful with colors http://alsquackery.weebly.com/muscovy-ducks.html

Back
Top Bottom