Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
Yes an external pip, where it's just raised up broken eggshell.
How is it going today?

So how's the hatching? That external pip reveal a cute little ball of fluff yet? We went out last night to put the kids to bed and found out our duck that went broody first was sitting on five new ducklings! She didn't put up too much of a fight when I took them inside and put them in the brooder. I'll see if I can get a picture showing the size difference a little more than a week makes.
Good luck!! And keep us posted!!
Congrats on your babies.

So how's the hatching? That external pip reveal a cute little ball of fluff yet? We went out last night to put the kids to bed and found out our duck that went broody first was sitting on five new ducklings! She didn't put up too much of a fight when I took them inside and put them in the brooder. I'll see if I can get a picture showing the size difference a little more than a week makes.
Good luck!! And keep us posted!!
Yes! So far one little duckling! It's doing really well, hopefully more will start soon! It's only day 33 for the ducks no pips yet, just the one little duckling! I will post pictures soon! And the other incubator of ducks are due to hatch Tuesday. And congrats on your little fluff balls!

Last edited:
Broody Muscovies

I'm a little overwhelmed with the potential for poop and too many birds. We have three nesting muscovies right now. yikes.

question: the females have always been completely peaceful. All day today they have been after each other. Or at least the broody moms are after the others...? Do muscovy Moms get crabby and aggressive while broody? We have a huge yard, the aggressiveness is happening a long ways from the nest.

thanks

Broody Muscovies

I'm a little overwhelmed with the potential for poop and too many birds. We have three nesting muscovies right now. yikes.

question: the females have always been completely peaceful. All day today they have been after each other. Or at least the broody moms are after the others...? Do muscovy Moms get crabby and aggressive while broody? We have a huge yard, the aggressiveness is happening a long ways from the nest.

thanks
Oh yes, broody is sure the word! Some ducks will get very aggressive towards other ducks, and will steal each others eggs. They also fight over the drake everyone likes. Honestly its a pecking order just like chickens have. I have never seen ducks hurt each other, but drake fights can be awful. I keep a drake pen to avoid unplanned breeding and fights. My preferred drake is penned with the hens.

Human aggressive issues are rare normally. I have one duck that will take her hatch to the pond immediately, so I take her ducklings. Too much risk of snapping turtles, etc. That duck, Physco actually bit me once. She takes motherhood seriously, and is a duck I have to watch close while brooding for weight loss.

Do you have a plan for the ducklings? I keep Muscovy for eggs, and excess drakes feed our family. I never find it a problem to sell ducklings either.

Hello everyone. I am interested in either getting some muscovy ducks or else more traditional ducks. I am looking for a breed that is friendly as i have a 2/year old son. Also would muscovies come for treats if you need to get them inside? Looking for something to help keep insects at bay. Any suggestions/ tips would be great. Are the claws on muscovies a big problem? Thanks all!!

Muscovies have claws that always leave a mark on me. But I don't handle them that often. Maybe once or twice a year. Once you find the treat they like, stick with it and use it to your advantage! Ours will climb over each other to get dried meal worms. I am the pied piper on our property when I've got those in a red solo cup!!! :) I can't imagine having another breed than Muscovy. They're not loud, and best of all, they devour anything you want to get rid of and maybe a few things you'll feel sorry for. Poor little tree frogs don't stand a chance in our yard. Our problem with ground spiders is all but gone. I used to pull a tick or two off of me and the dogs almost daily and now it's once in a blue moon. Yea, can't recommend highly enough.

Back
Top Bottom