Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
One of my hens just dropped dead... Her Caruncle on her face did turn from red to orange and than she died. What's wrong with my duck? And one of my turkey hens who sat on some chicken eggs we had to save the chicks because she smashed the eggs unintentionally and the eggs got covered in maggots, than the turkey started acting weird and we had to put her down... everybody else seems fine but I don't what's wrong with my animals!

hugs.gif
O so sorry to hear. I can't tell you what is wrong but I know your pain.
hugs.gif

I definitely have a broody
wee.gif
Blanche is sitting on the 14 eggs I counted yesterday. Of course her nest is in the least accessible spot possible but it is in the secure night pen so hopefully all will go well
fl.gif
I sure hope so because I don't think any of the 5 eggs I have on day 32 in the incubator are going to make it
sad.png

I was wondering if this female is a pure bred, I have been told it isn't natural to have a white head with a gray body. If you could help me out that would be great!!
I have 2 rippled black hens in that pattern, its normal.

One of my hens just dropped dead... Her Caruncle on her face did turn from red to orange and than she died. What's wrong with my duck? And one of my turkey hens who sat on some chicken eggs we had to save the chicks because she smashed the eggs unintentionally and the eggs got covered in maggots, than the turkey started acting weird and we had to put her down... everybody else seems fine but I don't what's wrong with my animals!
I am so sorry, painful to lose flock members. Was the duck brooding? Even if not I would suspect parasites or worms in both cases.

I definitely have a broody
wee.gif
Blanche is sitting on the 14 eggs I counted yesterday. Of course her nest is in the least accessible spot possible but it is in the secure night pen so hopefully all will go well
fl.gif
I sure hope so because I don't think any of the 5 eggs I have on day 32 in the incubator are going to make it
sad.png
Great news on the broody!!!!! Early season eggs rarely hatch, don't feel bad.

Last edited:
Jchny2000- You said early season eggs don't hatch? Could that be why I only got two ducklings out of my last hatch? And Why don't early season eggs hatch well?

I have 2 rippled black hens in that pattern, its normal.

I am so sorry, painful to lose flock members. Was the duck brooding? Even if not I would suspect parasites or worms in both cases.

Great news on the broody!!!!! Early season eggs rarely hatch, don't feel bad.
O nooooo, I reeeealllly need these to hatch
fl.gif
I just discarded two DIS of the 5 in the incubator
sad.png

Jchny2000- You said early season eggs don't hatch? Could that be why I only got two ducklings out of my last hatch? And Why don't early season eggs hatch well?
Depending on your climate of course, and temps. Usually they are getting frozen here, or too cold. If I can't do my usual 3x a day collecting a lot won't hatch. The other issue is if the ducks are allowing drakes to breed yet. Some of my girls just were not having it in March.

Okay, I have a question. I have gotten a Male Muscovy and is it normal for them to get to the size of a 4 foot wingspan and up to 13lbs? He also started to mate with her the second day with us and still don't know if they are still mating to this day? How long should I wait to see if they have fertile eggs? And I hear Muscovies are very good birds when it comes to being broody, do you think she would be broody or I would have to do incubation??

I have 2 female muscovy and 1 crested male - the females laid eggs - like 20 of them - the girls take turns sitting on them. I have heard that they probably wont hatch - please advise so I know what to do with the eggs

Back
Top Bottom