Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics

One of my silkie hens was on 6 duck eggs, 4 ducklings hatched and are doing really well, I also gave my hen 3 chicks. She loves all the babies no matter what they are. This hen has hatched out everything from silkies to my cornish rock cross crosses, to turkeys, and now Muscovies. Right now they're in a pen in the house because we're getting bad storms here.
How precious!! Congrats!!

One of my silkie hens was on 6 duck eggs, 4 ducklings hatched and are doing really well, I also gave my hen 3 chicks. She loves all the babies no matter what they are. This hen has hatched out everything from silkies to my cornish rock cross crosses, to turkeys, and now Muscovies. Right now they're in a pen in the house because we're getting bad storms here.
love.gif
Congratulations! What a wonderful hen. These pictures are so precious!

My muscovys are 9 weeks and starting to do the run-flapping. Should I start thinking about clipping the feathers? There is a 6ft fence around the property, but the fence of the run is lower, mainly to keep them out of the veggies and off the deck.

They are also getting a bit aggressive, at least towards my shoes and socks, mostly if they haven't been outside the run that day. They get calmer after a swim and with full stomach. Is this just adolescent excitement? One in particular has charged and bit me a couple of times. Pot rather than pet I think :)

She's going to have heart failure when her baby scovy's climb into water. LOL make sure chicks don't follow them.
Yes! I think I might have to separate them when they start wanting to swim a bunch for my silkie's sake and the chicks. When should I separate them if I do?

Yes! I think I might have to separate them when they start wanting to swim a bunch for my silkie's sake and the chicks. When should I separate them if I do?
Gosh I really don't know what to tell you because both chicks and ducklings need the warmth of their mama. But ducklings will eventually need a deep bowl for their water so they can wash their faces and clean out their nares[very important] I'd just see how it goes for 2-3 weeks then decide.

I had ducklings hatched from ducks and chicks hatched from a C hen at the same time so till just this past week I only used chicken waters but I have 3 that are 4 gallons and they have large trays so the ducklings were able to really get their faces in them even the adult ducks used them now I have buckets with water and waterers still out but mine are all going on 6 weeks old. Using those large tray waters even made me nervous till I saw mama hen show them how to use it.

Okay....that's what I'll do! Before getting your responses I put food and water as close as possible to both their nests...so hopefully everyone will take care of each other and themselves.

After another day or two I can just take the unhatched eggs away and call it good, right? I'm pretty sure the other eggs aren't/wouldn't ever hatch...

Thank you!

Val
I'd still candle very carefully just in case you have one about to burst from rot. If i have a mama waiting for eggs to hatch while some have that is what i do put food and water close enough babies can find it and it helps moms too they really get thirsty.

At what age do y'all turn baby scovies in with the group? My 6 babies are 6 weeks old now. They have been in a pen inside of the night pen so everyone has seen each other for quite some time. And, since Fred injured his leg he has been in their pen with them. No problems with him. There have been a few run ins when I've let them out for a bit in the bigger pen with the older Muscovy hens and of course I'm worried about Bob my drake.

When I turned Fred out into the group I literally stood there with a pool pole and threatened everyone for days, lol.
This is a good time if they have all been pretty much together. There will be pecking order issues but just keep an eye on them but as long as no one is getting beat up let them work it out. My ducklings are going on 6 weeks old and even though they were hatched here with mamas they are finding out they are low on pecking order even their mamas are putting them in their place but nothing serious . Keep the pool pole on the ready lol
wink.png

What s wrong with Bob your drake?

This is a good time if they have all been pretty much together. There will be pecking order issues but just keep an eye on them but as long as no one is getting beat up let them work it out. My ducklings are going on 6 weeks old and even though they were hatched here with mamas they are finding out they are low on pecking order even their mamas are putting them in their place but nothing serious . Keep the pool pole on the ready lol
wink.png

What s wrong with Bob your drake?
O nothing is wrong with Bob, I'm just worried he might hurt them. Fred is his size now but he runs from Bob. Bob caught him the other day and was standing on top of him. The babies are just way to small for Bob to do that to them.

The pecking order thing scares me. These are my babies
smile.png
One of the babies chased a Pekin around like crazy when I let them interact yesterday. The Pekin was running with the scovy chasing it and I'm running trying to catch the scovy. It was hilarious.

O nothing is wrong with Bob, I'm just worried he might hurt them. Fred is his size now but he runs from Bob. Bob caught him the other day and was standing on top of him. The babies are just way to small for Bob to do that to them.

The pecking order thing scares me. These are my babies
smile.png
One of the babies chased a Pekin around like crazy when I let them interact yesterday. The Pekin was running with the scovy chasing it and I'm running trying to catch the scovy. It was hilarious.
If they have plenty of room to stay away from Bob maybe they won't be messed with, they are close to the age of mine and they will be 6 weeks tomorrow so far the only time Opie messes with one is if they get close then he just pops them. Bob of course will go after Fred he is telling Fred that he is the boss around here and he better not forget it. What you saw was Bob being dominant over Fred. Other than standing on him did Bob do anything else?

I bet that was hilarious the scovy chasing the Pekin [where are our cameras when we need them] but we have to remember the babies are low in pecking order and the adults do have to teach them that. As long as no one is getting injured.

Back
Top Bottom