Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
LOL well good probably all those Owls flying around scared the poo out of them. It would me if I was a duck.
I sure hope something scared the poo out of them so they come back every night now
smile.png

We have had some terrible drake fights here, so I only keep one with my girls now. I let them hatch and also incubate. Usually the broodies have a much better rate than I do. Drakes have long sharp nails, and will rip and tear off feathers. Never had one attack me but have stopped several fights.
If you have a free range situation the dominant drake will drive off any of the others. I keep a pen for the scovys, and remove ducklings as they hatch. I can guess drakes pretty early on and move them away from the ducks.

Here's two mommas taking the latest hatchlings out for the first time this morning. 15 new 'lings to chase around!!! Yea!!!
Your 2 moms actually work together with their ducklings, a while back I had 3 scovy's hatch within a day of each other and all three would not let the other mom near their broody. And of course if the ducklings saw other ducklings they would go and run over to them and 1 mama would end up with 11 ducklings and guess who had to separate them back to rightful mama
hmm.png
That is such a sweet pic. Love those mama and babies

My strange duckling. This duckling was born with a mottled brown and yellow down pattern. The yellow areas are feathering in a dark brown barred (brown and white striping on the individual feathers)and the brown areas are coming in lilac. The dark stripe in the tail used to be a very small section of tipped yellow. I think it's a type of genetic mutant. Incomplete barred or a type of chimera. Chimera in that it started out as two ducklings that fused into one, a lilac and a brown barred. The crop is extremely full in the last picture, the duckling had just gorged itself on watermelon. This was one of only a few ducklings I got from Nutmeg my brown barred hen who passed from egg laying issues. She was in her first season of laying. Her eggs kept coming out odd looking, large, small, long, misshapen and whithout a shell. I thought it was just taking her longer to get into the egg laying groove. I noticed what looked like scrambled eggs mixed in with poop and that she seemed under the weather. Warm water soaks, nutradrench and antibiotics seemed to be doing the trick. Than she took a drastic turn for the worst, went down hill rapidly and was gone.

Nutmeg
She had a two eggs that looked viable, I put them under another girl. One hatched. What do you think? Incomplete barring or chimera?

My strange duckling. This duckling was born with a mottled brown and yellow down pattern. The yellow areas are feathering in a dark brown barred (brown and white striping on the individual feathers)and the brown areas are coming in lilac. The dark stripe in the tail used to be a very small section of tipped yellow. I think it's a type of genetic mutant. Incomplete barred or a type of chimera. Chimera in that it started out as two ducklings that fused into one, a lilac and a brown barred. The crop is extremely full in the last picture, the duckling had just gorged itself on watermelon. This was one of only a few ducklings I got from Nutmeg my brown barred hen who passed from egg laying issues. She was in her first season of laying. Her eggs kept coming out odd looking, large, small, long, misshapen and whithout a shell. I thought it was just taking her longer to get into the egg laying groove. I noticed what looked like scrambled eggs mixed in with poop and that she seemed under the weather. Warm water soaks, nutradrench and antibiotics seemed to be doing the trick. Than she took a drastic turn for the worst, went down hill rapidly and was gone.

Nutmeg
She had a two eggs that looked viable, I put them under another girl. One hatched. What do you think? Incomplete barring or chimera?
I think lovely..
love.gif

Nutmeg
I'm not sure what that would be called. I would stick with absolutely flippin gorgeous! We've got 4 adolescents coming into their adult feathers and a couple of those are amazing as well. I'll try to get a pic or two up this week.

Nutmeg
@TherryChicken
@learycow
@txcarl1258

I don't have a clue but I'm sure one of the above will know.
So sorry you lost such a beautiful girl
hugs.gif

Nutmeg

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! SOOO sorry you lost her.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom