Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
@Indyshent you are welcome to the 3 Bielefelder cockerels that have been off heat for weeks. I'll do the deed on Curly. I have a variety of means. PM me and we'll figure something out.

@Faraday40, you're right, the apple does not fall far from the tree! Glad to hear Cogburn's grandsons are carrying on his precocious and good roo behaviors.

I live next to a lake that has some wild muscovies that I think someone dumped. They are fairly tame but not tame enough for me to catch them. Is it legal for me to catch them and, if so, how?

I live next to a lake that has some wild muscovies that I think someone dumped. They are fairly tame but not tame enough for me to catch them. Is it legal for me to catch them and, if so, how?
If it's a private owned lake you should ask permission. if not I'd just go and get them. I had some show up on our mountain river once and adopted them.

@Table4Six Welcome to BYC

If you can set up some kind of fencing at water edge and lure them inside for food you could try it that way. Or get some friends and go out into the lake with canoe or kayak and herd them into the fence having friends in close on both sides to walk in behind them.

Last edited:
If it's a private owned lake you should ask permission. if not I'd just go and get them. I had some show up on our mountain river once and adopted them.

@Table4Six Welcome to BYC

If you can set up some kind of fencing at water edge and lure them inside for food you could try it that way. Or get some friends and go out into the lake with canoe or kayak and herd them into the fence having friends in close on both sides to walk in behind them.

Thank you! I think I'll give that a try.

Quote: Thats a shame. I have not ever had a human aggressive Muscovy drake, so I have to agree, he needs culled. The sharp nails alone are pretty painful! All my scovy drakes have been really friendly boys, to humans at least. There is the option of "pinning" to teach him not to be aggressive. This means in duck language YOU are the boss, not him. Most bird species pin the other flock leaders to gain dominance. They grab the other bird, often flogging with wings and scratching with the feet. The dominant bird pins the other to the ground, and wins the fight.

I use this with all my birds from quail to geese. If they attack me, or act out aggressively they get pinned. If I can't pick them up (I am pretty small) I grab them and pin them to the ground. The rest, I grab and restrain until they stop struggling. Birds learn better if we use their method of communication, and flock dominance. Bottom line, I will not allow any bird to be human aggressive here either.

Great tips. The aggression really started in the last couple of weeks as they grew old enough to mate: huffing & puffing whenever I'm close, getting protective of the ladies.

The others are nipping at shoes/pants, but seems to be more curiosity / search for food.

I X2 what @jchny2000 posted. None of our drakes have ever exhibited behavior like that, even during the height of mating season. I've used pinning on a White Chinese gander and it has worked wonders. He's the nicest squealing pest we have now. And he doesn't think about lowering his head and charging me any more. Once was enough. What we like, a quick learner! As for our Muscovy drakes, they're horny, but not aggressive to anyone other than lady ducks!! Around the ducklings and adolescents, they're the protective ones. One firm hand at the base of their neck and the other between their wings on their back and slow steady pressure until they lay on the ground. It only takes a few seconds and they get the point.

Great tips. The aggression really started in the last couple of weeks as they grew old enough to mate: huffing & puffing whenever I'm close, getting protective of the ladies.

The others are nipping at shoes/pants, but seems to be more curiosity / search for food.

The huff puff sounds are conversation. I know it sounds aggressive, but they really are just talking. the pant nibbling is curiosity and a social action. They also head bob, raise the crests on their heads, wag their tails. If a Muscovy is acting aggressively, it holds its mouth open, and follows your movement followed by a jump towards you and flogging. Usually this is a female that does not want you near her babies or eggs! I have one mother scovy duck, Physco that is aggressive over her nest. She will take on goats, pigs you name it! She has been impossible to confine and always nests in the goats house. Off season, she is a perfect little lady.

Back
Top Bottom