Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
The huff puff sounds are conversation. I know it sounds aggressive, but they really are just talking. the pant nibbling is curiosity and a social action. They also head bob, raise the crests on their heads, wag their tails. If a Muscovy is acting aggressively, it holds its mouth open, and follows your movement followed by a jump towards you and flogging. Usually this is a female that does not want you near her babies or eggs! I have one mother scovy duck, Physco that is aggressive over her nest. She will take on goats, pigs you name it! She has been impossible to confine and always nests in the goats house. Off season, she is a perfect little lady.
It is amazing the demons that they become over their eggs and babies
lol.png

It is amazing the demons that they become over their eggs and babies
lol.png

A huge X2 on that Ren2014! We separated 13 ducklings yesterday from the trio of Mommies that have been teaching them about life. There is one duck who I'm going to re-name Kamakazi! She got me 3 or 4 times with her claws. It's amazing how goofy looking ducks are when they normally walk, but invade their space and they become ninja ducks!! Kind of like Yoda, but without the light saber!!! :)

A huge X2 on that Ren2014! We separated 13 ducklings yesterday from the trio of Mommies that have been teaching them about life. There is one duck who I'm going to re-name Kamakazi! She got me 3 or 4 times with her claws. It's amazing how goofy looking ducks are when they normally walk, but invade their space and they become ninja ducks!! Kind of like Yoda, but without the light saber!!! :)
OUCH! At what age do you separate them?

They were just over 2 weeks old. We have a snapping turtle that's taken up home on the boundary between our property and our neighbors. The clutch was originally 16 ducklings. And the hobby farm we go through for birds initially and now just feed, were all out of Muscovy ducklings and our flock is already 20 strong and housing is a bit cramped. So, decided to separate the ducklings from the Mommies and trade them in for 100 lbs of food. Sure is painful but for the best.

They were just over 2 weeks old. We have a snapping turtle that's taken up home on the boundary between our property and our neighbors. The clutch was originally 16 ducklings. And the hobby farm we go through for birds initially and now just feed, were all out of Muscovy ducklings and our flock is already 20 strong and housing is a bit cramped. So, decided to separate the ducklings from the Mommies and trade them in for 100 lbs of food. Sure is painful but for the best.
Awe sad that you had to get rid of some! Maybe you'll be able to keep more when you fence that other area!

Thank you, Miss Lydia! I'm so happy that you enjoyed the article.
big_smile.png
I'm really excited to have discovered this wonderful thread concerning Muscovies! I'm really looking forward to reading all of the posts. I can't wait!
pop.gif

I removed my loud & aggressive drake 10 days ago, and I've enjoyed the peace. However, at times the remaining ladies go a bit crazy: loud chirping, open mouths, overly excited, "hard" nibbling of shoes/socks/pants. They are now 18-19 weeks, eggs should be coming soon.

I wonder if they miss their drake? are getting bored? trying to fill the power vacuum left by the drake (except they are quite friendly to each other)? or maybe they are missing something from their diet (it's mostly general duck & goose pellets, and 1-2 hours of foraging in the backyard). The pen is not huge, but I guess they get offended if they can't access the whole yard.

I removed my loud & aggressive drake 10 days ago, and I've enjoyed the peace. However, at times the remaining ladies go a bit crazy: loud chirping, open mouths, overly excited, "hard" nibbling of shoes/socks/pants. They are now 18-19 weeks, eggs should be coming soon.

I wonder if they miss their drake? are getting bored? trying to fill the power vacuum left by the drake (except they are quite friendly to each other)? or maybe they are missing something from their diet (it's mostly general duck & goose pellets, and 1-2 hours of foraging in the backyard). The pen is not huge, but I guess they get offended if they can't access the whole yard.
Breeding age and hormones make them nuts. lol yep they will play mating games with each other too even when a drake is present.

Back
Top Bottom