Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
Will the drake hurt young ones aged 2 months? Females and males both or will he just hurt males?
Drakes can be unpredictable so it's best to keep very young ducklings 3 weeks and younger separate from drakes. especially if they are penned up together. Ducklings have no way of keeping out of the way of the drake and mama isn't always able to protect their babies from them.If they are all free ranging and ducklings can stay clear of drakes and others in the flock then by 2 months they can mingle with the flock including drakes. Just keep an eye on things to make sure all is well. @DuckyGaze

Last edited:
Will the drake hurt young ones aged 2 months? Females and males both or will he just hurt males?
Drakes can be unpredictable so it's best to keep very young ducklings 3 weeks and younger separate from drakes. especially if they are penned up together. Ducklings have no way of keeping out of the way of the drake and mama isn't always able to protect their babies from them.If they are all free ranging and ducklings can stay clear of drakes and others in the flock then by 2 months they can mingle with the flock including drakes. Just keep an eye on things to make sure all is well. @DuckyGaze
X2

I've been very lucky and have had no problem with the drakes bothering little ones. However, I have seen some of the other girls get after the little ones. I do watch them all very closely. Mine all free range but are shut up together at night.

X2

I've been very lucky and have had no problem with the drakes bothering little ones. However, I have seen some of the other girls get after the little ones. I do watch them all very closely. Mine all free range but are shut up together at night.
I haven't had any problems with my Muscovy drakes going after ducklings but i have always kept mine separate but where everyone can see each other for the first 2-3 weeks. Probably too over protective.
hmm.png

I haven't had any problems with my Muscovy drakes going after ducklings but i have always kept mine separate but where everyone can see each other for the first 2-3 weeks. Probably too over protective.
hmm.png
frow.gif
Best to be too over protective than not at all
thumbsup.gif
Ya know, I'm still hoping for peaceful harmony amongst all of my flock so I don't have to get rid of anyone
fl.gif
I did threaten Carl yesterday telling him he's going on Craigslist
rant.gif

frow.gif
Best to be too over protective than not at all
thumbsup.gif
Ya know, I'm still hoping for peaceful harmony amongst all of my flock so I don't have to get rid of anyone
fl.gif
I did threaten Carl yesterday telling him he's going on Craigslist
rant.gif
I do alot of threatening too matter of fact my poor gander has been told so many times over his 9 plus yrs that he was going to be cooked it's a wonder he hasn't run away from home.

Quote:
I have to agree with whats been said. Be aware, a change in their home, life events can make a drake act differently too. I have had some pretty despicable drakes that went to the freezer due to fighting and abusing other species of birds.
You will get to know your drakes, and know who is a good Dad, and who is not fit around ducklings. I recently acquired a lavender pied adult drake with a bad reputation. He was labeled as a "Rapey" type of duck. So far I have not seen an issue, he has been here a couple months now. One scovy hen here named Physco is an escape artist and very good mother. I have had her around 3 years now, and gave up confining her a long time ago. She usually broods 3 nests a year! She has a nest in the goats house, under the sleeping platform. Anyways, this pied drake and Physco has not only hit it off, he is very protective of her current brood. He actually challenges the geese if they are too close to her ducklings, very surprising. They climb up on the drake and sleep on him, just like how they interact with their mom.
Muscovy always surprise me. They really are individuals and its hard to just label them as going to act a certain way. Its best to watch your flock and see how they act before risking confinement with any ducklings. I have more hen issues, normally with ducklings than I do with drakes. The ducks are very aggressive towards ducklings that are not theirs.

I am happy you replied because I have 9 week old muscovies.. they have their feathers and are almost just as big as their mother, but the drake picks on one of them. He just will not leave this one alone. I have separated them again, since I never keep ducklings with males. All brooding ducks and muscovies are kept apart from the males and the young ones until about 4 - 5 weeks but this poor young muscovy is being picked on by the older male. I thought maybe it was because the young one is a male but I cannot tell the females and males apart.

I am happy you replied because I have 9 week old muscovies.. they have their feathers and are almost just as big as their mother, but the drake picks on one of them. He just will not leave this one alone. I have separated them again, since I never keep ducklings with males. All brooding ducks and muscovies are kept apart from the males and the young ones until about 4 - 5 weeks but this poor young muscovy is being picked on by the older male. I thought maybe it was because the young one is a male but I cannot tell the females and males apart.

The big male is picking on my young one. He is the one in my avatar. He is much bigger now though. Just as big as his siblings and his mother, so I am thinking it may be a male. .

Back
Top Bottom