Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
thank you!! how many ducks are recommended for a drake? does he only need a flock if he becomes too rough toward my duck or?

May be getting two Muscovy hens. I have some questions:

1) Are their toe nails too sharp for a liner pond? Still working on the second pond and don't have all of the liner covered with rocks and clay yet.

2) Will they they eat my frogs?

3) Do they tend to fly in the trees to roost, or will they likely follow the chickens to the barn to sleep?

Thank you for any help

Hi @JanetMarie
Here's what our experience has shown us in answer to your questions:
1. They're long and sharp but I don't think they'd apply enough pressure to puncture the pond liner. Unless the liner is extremely thin. If that's the case, you'll probably want to wait till you have it covered with rock before letting them use it.
2. Yes. Muscovy are some of the best foragers. There is nothing safe on our property with the exception of very large bull frogs. They leave those alone and the doe and fawn deer that like to graze at our place. Everything else is fair game, and they are lightening fast when they need to be. From snatching flies in mid air to chasing down and swallowing in one gulp a small garden snake.
3. I have two young ducks that just discovered they can fly... its that time of year *sigh* This weekend I'll clip flight feathers. Neither of these two little ladies have perched in a tree that I've seen. They much prefer where they can see everything that's going on. So, on top of our covered chicken run, to the top of our RV (I can hardly wait to clean the top of that) to our house roof... But not in any trees and that might also be due to the types of trees that we have where the large branches are more angled than horizontal to the ground... I dunno about that, but just a guess.

Hope this helps. And my usual pitch regarding Muscovies - they're the worlds best stress relief!! Ten minutes out back with "the gang" and a hard day fades away and becomes the past. They're very adept and social, inquisitive. I can't work on any projects outside without 5 or 6 standing around giving me the foreman's look or trying in some funny duck way of "helping".

I finally found a place in my heart for scovies... I had a pair, not yet laying. And went and got 3 more 'lings.

I am sure 2 are girls. I picked the smallest ones out of about 6 or 7. I would love a seasoned eye to tell me if the 3rd one looks like a male.... I have a scovy drake already. So hopefully it's just a bigger girl!

It's the one of the left, colored a bit like a Swedish blue.

I finally found a place in my heart for scovies... I had a pair, not yet laying. And went and got 3 more 'lings.

I am sure 2 are girls. I picked the smallest ones out of about 6 or 7. I would love a seasoned eye to tell me if the 3rd one looks like a male.... I have a scovy drake already. So hopefully it's just a bigger girl!

It's the one of the left, colored a bit like a Swedish blue.

Hard to say from the pictures. Can you post another one with side views?

I'm sure the scovies will soon fill your heart. They have mine and I don't plan to have any other kind now
smile.png

Hard to say from the pictures.  Can you post another one with side views?

I'm sure the scovies will soon fill your heart.  They have mine and I don't plan to have any other kind now:)

Finally got one!!! They're always together and photo bombing each other.

The blue and white is the one in question. I noticed the feathers are much further behind in development. I'm not certain they have the same hatch date. I am guessing a male (based on female chickens wing feather tips come out faster. I am not sure if that would work on ducks too). What do you think?

If it is a boy... What are the chances of fighting? I have 2 night time enclosures for them and can build more.. I group them so there is harmony. 1 runner pair, 1 Muscovy pair, 1 KC pair.. 3 ancona ducks, the 3 scovie 'lings (2 for sure girls), 3 golden 300 layer ducks, 1 white layer duck, 1 blue Swedish duck.. And, I am giving up the Pekin drake (because I am not in love with Pekins, even if he's got a crest).

I would prefer peace among the flock since everyone gets along fabulously. I really don't have any agressive breeds, the scovie are the most confident and seem like they could cause some chaos if they were so inclined.

Obviously if I ask, "Should I get more ducks?" I will have a band of enablers ;) My broody runner is already taking care of the math problem there...... But will more ducks help avoid fights? I am terrified to have 2 huge Muscovy fighting and have anyone hurt in the process...

Last edited:
Finally got one!!! They're always together and photo bombing each other.

The blue and white is the one in question. I noticed the feathers are much further behind in development. I'm not certain they have the same hatch date. I am guessing a male (based on female chickens wing feather tips come out faster. I am not sure if that would work on ducks too). What do you think?

If it is a boy... What are the chances of fighting? I have 2 night time enclosures for them and can build more.. I group them so there is harmony. 1 runner pair, 1 Muscovy pair, 1 KC pair.. 3 ancona ducks, the 3 scovie 'lings (2 for sure girls), 3 golden 300 layer ducks, 1 white layer duck, 1 blue Swedish duck.. And, I am giving up the Pekin drake (because I am not in love with Pekins, even if he's got a crest).

I would prefer peace among the flock since everyone gets along fabulously. I really don't have any agressive breeds, the scovie are the most confident and seem like they could cause some chaos if they were so inclined.

Obviously if I ask, "Should I get more ducks?" I will have a band of enablers
wink.png
My broody runner is already taking care of the math problem there...... But will more ducks help avoid fights? I am terrified to have 2 huge Muscovy fighting and have anyone hurt in the process...
I can never get good pictures either
smile.png
I'm guessing boy based on his size and feet. Are his legs much bigger around than the girls?

Chances of fighting are high with boys when there are girls around. I've been seeing some aggression in my girls too though. Tonight a younger girl got after one of me WH girls I thought I was going to separate them. You are doing great grouping by harmony. That's wonderful that you can build more enclosures if needed. I have a mixed flock and I must say the scovies are the more aggressive of the bunch. Some of my Pekins and Swedish will chest bump others but no feather grabbing like the scovies do.

If you keep both males, I would definitely get more girls. But that's for the girls sake. A good ratio is 3-4 girls:1 male. Getting more girls won't necessarily mean no fights but it will help keep the boys occupied. Right now my ratio is off badly and I'm seeing some mild male fights but they were all raised together so I think that helps.

Back
Top Bottom