Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
I hatched six scovys after their mother was killed on the nest. Amazingly despite the freezing temps all six made it and are growing great. 2 boys and 4 girls. All chocolates. However one of the boys is marked differently than any of my others, adults or otherwise. We have 4 different colors here and approximately 30 total.

This boy hatched all yellow with a chocolate smudge on his head.
He's feathering out appearing white with the chocolate crest.
I can't seem to find any pics online similar just to see what he may look like as an adult. Does anyone here happen to have this color/marking type?

Him at hatch

Today

I hatched six scovys after their mother was killed on the nest. Amazingly despite the freezing temps all six made it and are growing great. 2 boys and 4 girls. All chocolates. However one of the boys is marked differently than any of my others, adults or otherwise. We have 4 different colors here and approximately 30 total.

I can't seem to find any pics online similar just to see what he may look like as an adult. Does anyone here happen to have this color/marking type?

Him at hatch

Today
Beautiful! Sorry to hear about the mom. Congrats on the great hatch. I have one that started with a smudge on his head. Now some feathers are coming in chocolate near his oil gland. I hope mine turns out as neat as yours
smile.png

So sorry to hear about the mom...if she was attacked how surprising and fortunate that the eggs were ok. The little guy looks so smart and sweet. When his crest goes up it'll look like a sassy hair do. Never seen a muscovy with coloration like that. I loved raising muscovy ducklings- they were the tamest of all the breeds Ive come across so far. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Him at hatch

Today

Interesting. I had a white hatched that was blue eyed.. she had a tiny patch of lavender like your fella has the chocolate. He is a beauty! Can't wait to see this one mature.

Just obtained Muscovies this past summer and have questions regarding proper drake behavior. Is it aggression for a drake to grab my rooster's tail feathers? He also chases one of the female muscovies to mate, because she clearly does not want his attention. The Muscovies and chickens have separate areas of the barn, but share the same outdoor area, which is very large.

Just obtained Muscovies this past summer and have questions regarding proper drake behavior. Is it aggression for a drake to grab my rooster's tail feathers? He also chases one of the female muscovies to mate, because she clearly does not want his attention. The Muscovies and chickens have separate areas of the barn, but share the same outdoor area, which is very large.
Yes on both questions. My drake and female scovy's will grab a chickens tail feathers if given the chance my female muscovy will even latch on while the chicken is trying to get away squawking.

And drakes do chase down their females, sex is rough for female ducks.

Yes on both questions. My drake and female scovy's will grab a chickens tail feathers if given the chance my female muscovy will even latch on while the chicken is trying to get away squawking.

And drakes do chase down their females, sex is rough for female ducks.
Thanks. My other male doesn't chase so I suppose he is better mannered.

Back
Top Bottom