Duck having trouble breathing...Update 3-22

My little duckie passed away yesterday before my mom got home from work...so they didnt have to cull her. The other 7 ducks seem perfectly healthy though.

On a good note though...my parents were showing their alpacas to a couple interested in purchasing them and they show ducks as well. Apparently one of my male Pekins was such a good looking duck that they said he was show quality. Who knew!?

sorry about your little duckie
hugs.gif
How great about the Pekin though! Are your parents thinking about showing?

Froggie, it sounds like your duck has aspergillosis, which would have responded to treatment with terbinifine and fluconazole. Asper causes mold to grow inside the duck, which slowly suffocates it. This was sad and painful to read about. Both meds are available in a cheap generic form; you could have them on hand so you'll be ready the next time.

Duck mama I think my duckling is going through the same thing...where do you get those meds? I got a cayuga duckling it was the only hatchling and I noticed a breathing problem just as described above. I don't know if something was wrong with bedding before I got him...but I need to find out where to get those meds fast!

Duck mama I think my duckling is going through the same thing...where do you get those meds? I got a cayuga duckling it was the only hatchling and I noticed a breathing problem just as described above. I don't know if something was wrong with bedding before I got him...but I need to find out where to get those meds fast!
since this was back in July you may want to google those meds instead of waiting for an answer here.

Update:

Well...10 days of antibioitics seemed to help her out a lot. She was eating again, seemed to be doing much better...4 days off antibiotics shes worse than she was at the beginning. Shes in the house and wont leave it. She has to open her entire mouth to breathe, her chest is caved in and its just not looking good. My dad is probably going to cull her tonight. Poor girl!

Question from my dad though...are they safe to eat after being on antibiotics?
I know it has been a long time since you wrote this post, but is almost identical to what is happening with my duck. Can you tell me what the outcome was?

Back
Top Bottom