Duck Videos Thread!

Thanks! Kaine is amazing and that is why it was driving us crazy. When he was on his hormone high, he was attacking Tevye and earlier in the year Pocahontas, then later Greta and he attacked them all the time - he ripped feathers out of them mercilessly (somehow Tevye faired better in that regard than the girls.) Now his hormones are "normal" it has been 3 weeks since we have seen him act jerky in any way. Now he is just a leader. He barks orders and the flock seeks cover or goes over to the feeder or goes in the house. He runs patrols around the flock. He is very vigilant and he monitors them all the time. When a fight breaks out between ducks, he either monitors it, or breaks it up - I am guessing from what I have observed that if it is a pecking order challenge, he officiates, but if a duck much higher on the pecking order is just bullying a lower duck, he breaks in and keeps the peace. So normally he is a very valuable member of the flock. But when he is attacking / endangering (by not letting them in the house) his own flock, he is a problem. I am hoping that this being his first mating season and he was effectively teenage crazy that it was abnormally bad. Hopefully next year he doesn't react quite so radically against members of his own flock. If he is as bad as he was this year we will either have to re-home him or make him a permanent solitary pen and shelter for the spring/summer. Either option would be sad.
I had it to watch it again. Very moving. The music and the way the precious, precious ducks move….

I hope so much that he never gets that bad again. He is truly amazing. Although I didn't like reading how he previously treated the other birds, I am amazed and impressed by his leadership skills. And he intervenes. That is incredible.

Not knowing what the outcome will be for him next year hormonally I am already sad at the thought of either option but only you and Yvonne know what's ultimately best for your and his flock of birds.

0.jpg

Watch baby Star hatching! Hope you like it.
Next video is another duckling hatching, then a video of "Brat".

0.jpg

Watch baby Star hatching! Hope you like it.
Next video is another duckling hatching, then a video of "Brat".
What a phenomenal miracle. Star. She is so sweet. I got chills watching this great video of her birth and now her adult form has taken shape beautifully. And what a cute fuzzlet she was, too. Thank you and I am looking forward to your next vids.

Back
Top Bottom