Duckling Grow-A-Long!

Pics
They are huge and starting to grow
Are these feather quills?? Only on a handful of muscovies so far (edit: all the muscovies have them, all about the same except the biggest whose quills are further along), and only on their tails. They're only just over two weeks old.

Oh and here they are enjoying some mosquitofish netted from the pond. I'm hoping they forage off them when they're adults.

They sure look like feather quills to me

Feathers are coming. And they are acting like I'm some crazy monster. Also, they are huge haha. 3 weeks old + 2 days. I forgot how quickly they feather. The welshes have more feathers on them than Maggie (magpie) or Sunny (saxony). I'm also a little concerned that Sunny being a larger breed isn't getting enough niacin, so back to adding yeast I go. Its really weird I have never had a breed with orange adult legs before so I don't know if it's normal or not but I feel like I can see the tips of her femur through her leg skin......like.....is that normal?? Everyone else is fine.

Attachments

• 20240328_164744.jpg
    20240328_164744.jpg
    941.1 KB · Views: 11
I'm thinking of seeing what my adults think of the babies soon. Maybe this weekend. Is 3 weeks long enough for bio control? Idk

Are these feather quills?? Only on a handful of muscovies so far (edit: all the muscovies have them, all about the same except the biggest whose quills are further along), and only on their tails. They're only just over two weeks old.

Oh and here they are enjoying some mosquitofish netted from the pond. I'm hoping they forage off them when they're adults.

Those are definitely feathers coming in!

They love those little fishies, you're lucky you've got access to them!

Feathers are coming. And they are acting like I'm some crazy monster.
Mine act like that too! I assume they'll calm down with time.
Also, they are huge haha. 3 weeks old + 2 days. I forgot how quickly they feather. The welshes have more feathers on them than Maggie (magpie) or Sunny (saxony). I'm also a little concerned that Sunny being a larger breed isn't getting enough niacin, so back to adding yeast I go.
I think no matter what yeast should be given to ducklings, its hard to give them too much!
Its really weird I have never had a breed with orange adult legs before so I don't know if it's normal or not but I feel like I can see the tips of her femur through her leg skin......like.....is that normal?? Everyone else is fine.
I totally get what you mean, all mine's legs look like that. Its completely normal.

Mine act like that too! I assume they'll calm down with time.

I think no matter what yeast should be given to ducklings, its hard to give them too much!

I totally get what you mean, all mine's legs look like that. Its completely normal.
Oh thanks, that relieved my mind, every time I see it I'm like whaaaaa thats a bone!

I was depending on the feathers to tell me who were boys and who were girls. Supposedly boy muscovies are supposed to feather out much later than girls? But everyone's getting theirs now. On top of that, it's the biggest one, whom I figgered had to be a boy, who's furthest along. Guess I'll wait and see how the feathering progresses.

Back
Top Bottom