Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I cook 90% of our food. Most of our friends don't. They are younger than us by 5-10 years and much heavier. They also play a lot of video games and many prefer to believe their meat comes from Styrofoam containers, not animals.
As far as the obesity issue, where I work we need people who can preform strenuous tasks and fit in certain size spaces. If a person comes to me for a job and it is obvious they will not be able to preform the job efficiently and safely I can't hire them. When we have in the past it ends up being very difficult on all the other employees because they have to then do their work and part of this other person's work. It causes resentment and breaks the team bond. Would any of you hire some one with a low IQ to be an engineer, or a quadriplegic to be a surgeon? This is a tricky situation because it deals with a physical limitation. However, if we had an office job, or a less demanding and dangerous position then all I look for is a good attitude and work ethic.

Last edited:
WOW that must be some big county! In my county we have one city one town with local government elected offices, and about 2 dozen unincorperated towns that many used to be about maybe a dozen buisnesses a couple of churchs a school perhaps and many of them now are a clump of maybe a dozen houses a church or two, a few (2-3) buisnesses (usually closed) and a sign if they are lucky saying "spot in the road" and if you blink you miss the sign and the town.

It's very interesting, it is a normal sized county with an unusual history. Almost every city in the US (actually all but 2), is a legal entity of the county in which they are located. As such, they can annex new land from the county as they grow. When Missouri became a state in 1821 all was good. But in the next 50 years, the city and county came at odds. By 1876 it came to a head and one choice was to create 2 distinct legal entities thereby creating a county of the city of St. Louis - distinct from the county of St. Louis. The plan was to be voted on by all citizens of both city and county. The separation appeared to be rejected by voters by 2000 votes. One voting district seemed to have some hundred or so fraudulent votes and a recount commission investigating reversed the will of the citizens and approved the separation.
The city then picked a boundary they thought the population would never grow beyond. Silly, that. It wasn't long before - one of the fastest growing cities of the time - the population rapidly grew beyond those boundaries and today encompasses almost the entire land mass. Everywhere a cluster of houses and businesses appeared, a few ambitious politicians created a new city, each of which - unlike the city of St. Louis - is capable of annexing land from the county. The result is 91 legal municipal entities, 9 unincorporated in addition to the city of St. Louis. The population of each of these 'cities' range from under 100 to well over 50,000. It has hurt the area in that each of these postage stamp size and larger municipalities must maintain a public works department, mayor, city council, town halls, etc.. Some have relinquished their police departments to save money and contract with St. Louis county police for protection.
Further confusing the matter is that school districts and fire protection districts bear no resemblance to those city boundaries. As you may surmise, there are common street names within several of the cities.
Just as an aside to this story and interestingly enough, last week, there was a fire at an address in Florissant. The 911 operator sent the fire department to the identical address in Ferguson. They arrived, and surprisingly there was no fire. At the same time the house at the same address in Florissant was completely destroyed.

What makes this tough for people wanting to have chickens, or do anything else they want to do on their own property, ordinances vary - sometimes wildly.
There can be one person that may be allowed an unlimited number of chickens and roosters. His neighbor directly across the street may be restricted to 4 chickens and the guy at the end of the street can have none at all. Bizarre and insane IMO. Another interesting thing is that the most wealthy areas are those most likely to have few or no restrictions, while the poorest most crime ridden areas disallow chickens. After all, I can only assume, they wouldn't want anyone to think they were uppity.
I, along with some of our 650+ member chicken meetup group have become very active throughout the county trying to get or keep chickens legal.
Uphill battle with so many cities. A couple years ago, I went to war with my city and won. I have a permit for 85 chickens and 5 roosters. We are 7 and 1 in other cities so far.

Thanks for reading. I know this may seem so strange to people living in normal city/counties.
I live in Franklin County, which borders St. Louis county to the west. The city I live in, the largest in Franklin county, has no restirction about owning chickens, however, residents in a smaller, more rural city just west of us is prohibited from owning chickens. I find that very interesting as well.
Nice to see someone farily local on here!

I had a co-worker whom said her kids wouldn't eat that or any other mac and cheese unless it was the velveta mac and cheese shell shaped pasta with the squeeze packet, I told her the kids where spoiled and there was something wrong with her parenting. she said I was mean. I guess I and many other people in this world are"mean".
My brother had a friend that would always stay with us, and his mom would tell my mom all the things he wouldn't eat and what she should make him because he was super picky. My mom said "Look I'm going to cook whatever I usually cook and if he doesn't want to eat it fine, but I'm not going to cater to him just because he's picky" So either he would eat with us or go hungry. The funny thing is he started eating everthing my mom cooked and wasn't so picky anymore after a few days of not being catered to lol

On a similar note, my son had a friend who "ran away from home" b/c his parents were "mean!" So, he came to stay with us so we all could keep him safe until he cooled his jets. He came to me after spending a couple of nights sleeping on the couch, and said... "Uh... I need some laundry washed. I don't have any clean pants left." I looked up from my newspaper and said, "The washer and dyer are down stairs." He then shuffled around a bit and said, "Will you wash my clothes for me? My mom does." I answered, "No, but, if you'd like, I'm sure that my son will show you how to do laundry." I didn't cut any slack for him, and after a few days, he decided that his parents weren't so mean after all.

WOW that must be some big county! In my county we have one city one town with local government elected offices, and about 2 dozen unincorperated towns that many used to be about maybe a dozen buisnesses a couple of churchs a school perhaps and many of them now are a clump of maybe a dozen houses a church or two, a few (2-3) buisnesses (usually closed) and a sign if they are lucky saying "spot in the road" and if you blink you miss the sign and the town.

It's very interesting, it is a normal sized county with an unusual history. Almost every city in the US (actually all but 2), is a legal entity of the county in which they are located. As such, they can annex new land from the county as they grow. When Missouri became a state in 1821 all was good. But in the next 50 years, the city and county came at odds. By 1876 it came to a head and one choice was to create 2 distinct legal entities thereby creating a county of the city of St. Louis - distinct from the county of St. Louis. The plan was to be voted on by all citizens of both city and county. The separation appeared to be rejected by voters by 2000 votes. One voting district seemed to have some hundred or so fraudulent votes and a recount commission investigating reversed the will of the citizens and approved the separation.
The city then picked a boundary they thought the population would never grow beyond. Silly, that. It wasn't long before - one of the fastest growing cities of the time - the population rapidly grew beyond those boundaries and today encompasses almost the entire land mass. Everywhere a cluster of houses and businesses appeared, a few ambitious politicians created a new city, each of which - unlike the city of St. Louis - is capable of annexing land from the county. The result is 91 legal municipal entities, 9 unincorporated in addition to the city of St. Louis. The population of each of these 'cities' range from under 100 to well over 50,000. It has hurt the area in that each of these postage stamp size and larger municipalities must maintain a public works department, mayor, city council, town halls, etc.. Some have relinquished their police departments to save money and contract with St. Louis county police for protection.
Further confusing the matter is that school districts and fire protection districts bear no resemblance to those city boundaries. As you may surmise, there are common street names within several of the cities.
Just as an aside to this story and interestingly enough, last week, there was a fire at an address in Florissant. The 911 operator sent the fire department to the identical address in Ferguson. They arrived, and surprisingly there was no fire. At the same time the house at the same address in Florissant was completely destroyed.

What makes this tough for people wanting to have chickens, or do anything else they want to do on their own property, ordinances vary - sometimes wildly.
There can be one person that may be allowed an unlimited number of chickens and roosters. His neighbor directly across the street may be restricted to 4 chickens and the guy at the end of the street can have none at all. Bizarre and insane IMO. Another interesting thing is that the most wealthy areas are those most likely to have few or no restrictions, while the poorest most crime ridden areas disallow chickens. After all, I can only assume, they wouldn't want anyone to think they were uppity.
I, along with some of our 650+ member chicken meetup group have become very active throughout the county trying to get or keep chickens legal.
Uphill battle with so many cities. A couple years ago, I went to war with my city and won. I have a permit for 85 chickens and 5 roosters. We are 7 and 1 in other cities so far.

Thanks for reading. I know this may seem so strange to people living in normal city/counties.

Thanks for the "history lesson". I live near Jefferson City and at least once a month something news worthy is printed that says how JeffCity is different from other cities/counties with their rules and regulations. Only a hand full of cities are like that apparently. St. Louis area must be another one that has to be different.
wink.png

CG

I don't judge people for being vegan, as long as everyone can live and let live, I don't care what people eat.

I'll admit it, I judge people for being vegans, but I would be happy for someone to educate me about veganism and tell me more about it. Then maybe I can understand veganism and why people choose to be vegans. I like to think I am open minded, so please someone who is or knows vegans tell me more about it.
(Oh, and, Happy Valentines Day!:love)

I'll admit it, I judge people for being vegans, but I would be happy for someone to educate me about veganism and tell me more about it. Then maybe I can understand veganism and why people choose to be vegans. I like to think I am open minded, so please someone who is or knows vegans tell me more about it.
(Oh, and, Happy Valentines Day!
love.gif
)

Uh, I forgot Valentines Day.

Oh heck
hide.gif
I hope my DH doesn't realize. Even if he does, I think he forgot about it to.
tongue.gif

I've got a sick quail, I forget dates when animals are involved.

Last edited:
(Oh, and, Happy Valentines Day!
love.gif
)

Veganism is amazing. Most people I know who are vegan (other than myself) only eat what they grow or veggies that are not gmo's. Although I am not that hardcore about it, I do believe that veganism is one of the best ways you can eat. I started eating as a vegan to help my poly-cystic ovarian syndrome because the hormones in meat and other animal by-product foods were putting my hormones out of whack (even more so than my body was) I was told that nothing would be able to cure my PCOS and that I would have to have surgery and take hormone treatments to have a normal cycle, but I wanted to treat it holistically. Within two weeks I was more energetic, I lost 15 pounds, and my hormones were leveling out to where they should be. I do eat my own chickens and eggs, so I am not "Vegan" but "Vegetarian" now, but I do not eat any meat or animal bi-product that I do not raise myself!

I eat my rooster sometimes. not if they are friendly, or adoptable. I have one roo and maybe 3 baby roos- I will keep one baby roo, so I have two roosters. I am not sure yet if any of the babies are keepers or adoptable, or edible, but I have my eye on this one for a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom