Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get many dumb things said to me at farm fair this year, but you would not BELIEVE number of people who couldn't tell a duck from a chicken and vice versa. And almost everyone thought that the hens were roosters. And the number of people who didn't even know that chicken was the species not the female? Unbelievable! It took me 5-10 minutes to explain to this one woman the hen=female rooster=male thing. She kept saying: "so chicken is female?" :smack

I have another one for you: 

I was telling my sister that I would have to rehome my chicks, especially if they turn out to be roosters. She said: "Don't worry! All you have to do is give the rooster contraceptive, so he won't produce more chicks."
I was speechless:lau

Umm, she's right. There is an implant that sometimes works to stop crowing and sterilize. Temporary though. Also used on hens to stop egg laying, those prone to eggbound, etc.

Used it on a dog I used to show that had split heats. Helped her complete that heat cycle (phew!). Originally a cattle product, when we used it it had to be ordered from Australia "for research". Though I think it's more easily available in the US now.

Umm, she's right. There is an implant that sometimes works to stop crowing and sterilize. Temporary though. Also used on hens to stop egg laying, those prone to eggbound, etc.

Used it on a dog I used to show that had split heats. Helped her complete that heat cycle (phew!). Originally a cattle product, when we used it it had to be ordered from Australia "for research". Though I think it's more easily available in the US now.

Do you honestly think the sister that suggested birth control for the roosters knew anything about all this? If, technically, she *was* correct, it was purely accidental and she's still not aware of it. So, you can't really claim "she's right". That claim would only count if she actually knew the details you just described and used them to explain WHY she was right.

Quote:
I never lived on a farm but knew what a capon was as a kid, and I was shocked to see someone once post here on BYC that one could not sterilize (for reproductive purposes) a rooster. If caponizing isn't that I don't apparently know what is....

Do you honestly think the sister that suggested birth control for the roosters knew anything about all this? If, technically, she *was* correct, it was purely accidental and she's still not aware of it. So, you can't really claim "she's right". That claim would only count if she actually knew the details you just described and used them to explain WHY she was right.Ye
Yes, it was purely accidental and yes, I know about such contraceptives. I am positive my sister doesn't. It was hilarious!

Sometimes people who don't know come up with good answers. They don't know it's "impossible" or just never been done that way.

I would have laughed too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom