Easter Egger laying questions

ccabal

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Hi all,
I have a white easter egger, who in her second year layed pretty well, but towards the end of that following winter got a eye infection and lost one of her eyes. That following year (which was last year) she didn't lay much at all, but I was thinking it was because she was recovering from her loss of her eye. She has healed up pretty well, and then this spring started laying a bit more, but then stopped. She probably has laid about two dozen eggs total this year. I am wondering if this is abnormal? Or are Easter Eggers suppossed to not lay many eggs.... or is this a permanent effect of her eye loss?

BTW she's the chicken eating spaghetti on my avatar pic.
smile.png

Thanks,

Christian

Last edited:
I know that egg laying is supposed to slow down the older they get, but I just got 24 eggs from her last year, and was wondering if the dropoff in egg production is usually that extreme with these Easter Eggers? Or if it could be the loss of the eye permanently affected her?

BTW I love that chicken, and couldn't think of culling her.

Last edited:
Hi.
frow.gif

I had an EE that was a very inconsistent layer. Enough to make me consider not getting them again.

The chicken eating spaghetti is dang cute!
love.gif
But that could be part of your problem... what are you feeding, including treats?

I would recommend culling, but since that ain't your cup of tea.... maybe just be accepting.

Sometimes laying is effected by things such as age, injuries, predators, crowding, weather, and nutrition. But since this ongoing for a long period of time my biggest suspicion is breed followed by nutrition and age. Not pointing any fingers on nutrition, just discussing it as a possibility since more often than not it's related.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom