Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Chicken math is a way to feel good about how many birds you've brought in. Say I have 10 hens, 20 chicks, 1 rooster, and and 4 of my hens are setting on eggs. Well, chicks aren't chickens, and they eat less so now I just have 11 chickens. Well since four hens are setting they aren't laying, and they are in the coop all day so they are no use to me at that moment, so now I have 7 chickens, well the rooster doesn't lay eggs and I really don't hatch that much so now I have 6 chickens.
lol.png

wish all used chicken math, as id have never had to many chickens then.

Perfect example thx

You are right! I would get kicked out of a restricted neighborhood day one!

I could be wrong, but I swear I remember them talking about it. It was a couple of years ago, maybe even last year. But that was before I got chickens myself. I live in JC but in the county and I am right on the line...the house across the street from me is city. It is a matter of time until we are annexed!
barnie.gif
I have been looking online since I saw your post and I can't find anything but I will make some calls today. I will call Brad to see where he lives exactly. He may be keeping his on the DL...
hide.gif

My philosophy is to never give up on something that is important to you. If this was up for consideration last year, we should make sure it is up again THIS year!!! I hounded my elected officials recently to save a kids ballfield. It was in the JC Press several times...you may can still look up the story. It was Midway Ballfield in JC. Anyway, my point is to keep up with "The Cause" until it is finally passed. I can be very persuasive.

Quote:
Well i've been searching for you, I can not find where any laws state that you can or can not have them within JC. The only thing i have found thus far is a very short list of can'ts and here it is. I'll keep looking, do you know what your propertyis zoned as? Because JC has zonging of Agricultural Residential in areas.

TN

Clarksville, TN. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or allow to be kept cattle, horses, sheep, goats, swine or poultry of any kind in any residential section within the city municipal corporate limits except as allowed by applicable city zoning law.
Columbia, TN. The City Code mentioned chickens, but simply says to not let them run at large, nor to let them come within 1,000 feet of any residence, place of business, or public street without a permit from the city manager.
Nashville, TN. Has an unlimited chicken law assuming “No person shall keep chickens within the metropolitan government area in such a manner that a nuisance is created” and are kept penned, no “fowl at large.”
Spring Hill, TN. As of 2010, you may not have chickens or any “farm” animal in the city limits.

Quote:
Well Mr. Donnelly said u had to b in an area zoned as agricultural. He gave me his # to call, but I haven't. I felt sure this is not zoned for anything but residential. Kudos on the ballfield. How can I make sure its up for consideration??

SandraD~

#1 Organize. Find like minded folks like yourself in the city. I am in the Co. but they don't have to know that unless they ask I guess. I will help any way I can. Find neighborhood groups that are sympathetic to your cause. I would go to the Johnson City Farmers Mkt....start talking to ppl.

#2 Get on the City Council meeting agenda. We could also show up for an "open spot" where the meeting is open to the public and you have 3 min! Believe me, the 3 mn. goes fast! You have to be well prepared and they won't let you go over so you have to make it good!

#3 Expect a battle, but be positive and don't take it personal when someone is against your idea. It still makes me mad though!
barnie.gif
Be ready for arguments on noise, odor, health conserns, etc.

Let me know what I can do. I am in your court for sure.
frow.gif

Quote:
Well i've been searching for you, I can not find where any laws state that you can or can not have them within JC. The only thing i have found thus far is a very short list of can'ts and here it is. I'll keep looking, do you know what your propertyis zoned as? Because JC has zonging of Agricultural Residential in areas.

TN

Clarksville, TN. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or allow to be kept cattle, horses, sheep, goats, swine or poultry of any kind in any residential section within the city municipal corporate limits except as allowed by applicable city zoning law.
Columbia, TN. The City Code mentioned chickens, but simply says to not let them run at large, nor to let them come within 1,000 feet of any residence, place of business, or public street without a permit from the city manager.
Nashville, TN. Has an unlimited chicken law assuming “No person shall keep chickens within the metropolitan government area in such a manner that a nuisance is created” and are kept penned,

no “fowl at large.”
Spring Hill, TN. As of 2010, you may not have chickens or any “farm” animal in the city limits.

I going to have to call n double check about the zoning. I do know there r areas zoned agricultural in JC, but felt sure i would b strictly residential. But hey, it can't hurt to call, they can only say no. Thanks so for checking. How can 2 little speckled sussex hens hurt anything. If I have to sneak them in, I'm willing to try, but it will, no doubt b tricky.

Oh, and I forgot the most important thing...be patient! When this does get presented, it will take months. They will discuss and debate it for a while and it will probably get moved around to different city departments. It will take months. Our local government works pretty much the same as D.C. Don't get me started!
he.gif

Quote:
Sounds like all good pointers, I like the Farmers Market idea. Wasn't even thinking about city council meetings. I'll have to slow down a bit before thinking about that, I'm canning tomatoes today. Thank you for being in my court. When I'm up for this challenge, I want u on my team. Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom