Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awwwwww so cute! I cant wait to have some itty bitty chicks.
jumpy.gif

So, my first guess is Orpington cockerel, and a SFH pullet (with what looks like 1 bum foot and fluid coming out of his butt)
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I don't know where to get chicks this time of year. In the spring Tractor Supply and the Farmer's Co-op will have them. I think they'll even special order some for you if you want at least six of a certain breed.

For feed, I would go to either TSC or Co-op unless you want to go organic or soy free. For organic feed, you can go to Agrifeed on Middlebrook. If you want soy free, I can give you the email of the guy that supplies Countryside feed to our area.

I am not looking to buy chicks or feed right now, I was just wondering in the spring if I would have to order online or if there was a place locally I could get some.

Thanks for the welcomes :)

good new - I went up and took a few fast chicken photos just before sunset --- have uploaded them, some are on new threads on What Breed/Gender thread.

bad new - While taking photos I discovered that Ugly appears to have found herself some leg mite :( & I fear they arrived on the new winter straw bedding I just spread ALL OVER my farm, to ALL the animals, sigh...gonna have to check everyone in the am...

This is the Sizzle I was given as a day old, it was said to be female but so were the extra 3 duck chicks my DH brought to me w/ the Del. chick and the 1 Duck I sent him to pick up.

Light was bad but the earlobe is actually TEAL, freaked me out, never knew they could be that color!
Extra toes, feathers on feet, just totally odd....
So, Sizzle looks to me like half Rabbit... :>

Ok Fey....definately a silkie mix. That is why there are 5 toes. Looks life from a partridge. The more fuzzy head is from the silkie too as well as the comb. Silkies have a walnut comb but for some reason when they mix the comb looks like half a walnut. I have a silkie/maran mix and his is like that too. I am trying to get a pic of him. We call him Frankenstein cause he was soooo ugly as a juvie. He is actually kinda pretty now. Glossy black feathers but the tail and cushion is blue. He has red leakage and a lot of red in his hackles. He is truly different! Teal earlobes are indicative of silkies....if it was a sizzle it would look like a silkie but the feathers would be all twirly. I will see if I can find a pic of mine to post for you to see.

Last edited:
TNBarnQueen,

I was told Sizzle is a "Sizzle" = "Silkie x Frizzle" hybrid (hence the weird fur - like feathers)

But the real question I have (besides why make a furry chicken) is Girl-sizzle or Boy-sizzle??

B/C if it will lay an egg, or even be a decent broody hen, then I might keep it,
but otherwise since it has to stay penned 100%
(can't fly is small & my cats would just love to taste it b/c it looks like furry rodent! )
I'm gonna need to rehome (if a him).

I was told girl, but the gifter also told my DH the 3 baby ducks she handed him w/ sizzle were all girls & now grown at least 2 are clearly Drakes.
So it hit me this week that since she was wrong about the ducks, and no egg so far, maybe Sizzle is sadly Sizzle-boy :(

Raine

I agree Bario...I think that is why I have had the humidity problems with my incubators...but believe it or not my LG is staying around 40H and 99 temp with the fan off. I wonder sometimes if you are having a prob. with Humidity it aggravates it.. OK....results in incubating at 99 compared to 100 degrees. It added 1 day to the incubation time. I have silkies due to hatch in
about 2 weeks..then it is shut down time. I have got to maintenance my incubators.

@Stang...your hoop coop looks wonderful...congratulations!!

@itsthelaw...you made me cry..happy tears. What a beautiful story.....I am so they are doing so well and have created such a close bond and this breed does.
I know what u mean about not liking bantams. For some reason I bought the little black one u have and a roo. I was in love with the breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom