Extreme heat and Easter eggers?

Newchickgrandma

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
We live in Yuma AZ and lost 3 chickens due to the heat this summer. 2 were easter eggers and I am heartbroken. It makes me think we really can't have this kind of chicken though the kids and I love them. They are a small bird, which is good, but they have these little pea combs that don't help them cool down enough. Do you guys agree?

We live in Yuma AZ and lost 3 chickens due to the heat this summer. 2 were easter eggers and I am heartbroken. It makes me think we really can't have this kind of chicken though the kids and I love them. They are a small bird, which is good, but they have these little pea combs that don't help them cool down enough. Do you guys agree?
Mine are dealing fairly well with it. They are Ameraucana so close enough to EE for comparison. They how ever are not dealing with it as well as the Spitzhauben or Phoenix I have. I am going to be working on an EE that is more heat tolerant by crossing in the Spitzhauben and Phoenix and working towards a single comb variety.

I live about 40 miles south of Houston TX. We have been hitting 115 with index recently and I have not lost a chicken yet. All my pens are currently under a pecan and ash tree and are in shade for a good 80 to 90 percent of the day.

I live in Yuma, AZ as well and I have a variety of chicken breeds, including 5 Easter Eggers. All my chickens hate the heat, but I didn't seem to see the EEs struggle any more than the others. Shade, water, ice, frozen veggies/fruit, and ventilation is ESSENTIAL!
20230810_143937_exported_78097~2.jpg

They like to stand on bricks that sit in water to cool down. Helps a lot.

:hugsI am very sorry for your loss :hugs

Back
Top Bottom