Faverolles Thread

I have been interested in Favorelles since I have wanted to have and keep chickens. The one thing that keeps being said is that thay are in general a less hardy breed. I live in Central NY where the winters can be brutal -10 to -30 degrees for weeks on end in January/February. Last year it was the worst. and summers that can have high 80's and 90's in August as the norm.
I truly love the Favorelle descriptions of temperament and I adore their little faces.

Does anyone know where I can get Fav's from a strong, prolific, hearty line? I really want these little ones.

Thank you for any help and infor you can give me.

I don't know who called them "less hardy" but that's not generally the case. They do better in cold weather than hot weather. I'm sure they will be fine in your climate.

I don't know who called them "less hardy" but that's not generally the case. They do better in cold weather than hot weather. I'm sure they will be fine in your climate.
Hello Cloverleaf Farm.
Do you know where I can get chicks next spring ... I prefer not to get them from a hatchery. Thank you for answering my comment. And any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. :)

Alissa

So, got a notice from Facebook today that my HONEST review of my Faverolles from Valley Hatchery had been removed... That's the last nail in the coffin for me!!! UGHH!

DO NOT BUY FAVS FROM VALLEY!

[COLOR=4B0082]I have been interested in Favorelles since I have wanted to have and keep chickens. The one thing that keeps being said is that thay are in general a less hardy breed. I live in Central NY where the winters can be brutal -10 to -30 degrees for weeks on end in January/February. Last year it was the worst. and summers that can have high 80's and 90's in August as the norm. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=4B0082]I truly love the Favorelle descriptions of temperament and I adore their little faces. 

Does anyone know where I can get Fav's from a strong, prolific, hearty line? I really want these little ones. 
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=4B0082]Thank you for any help and infor you can give me.[/COLOR]

They are perfectly fine in the cold. They are not overly fond of the heat (like me), but it does not get excessively hot where you are.

So, got a notice from Facebook today that my HONEST review of my Faverolles from Valley Hatchery had been removed... That's the last nail in the coffin for me!!! UGHH!

DO NOT BUY FAVS FROM VALLEY!

Don't buy from anyone that claims to have exhibition quality birds that will not show you pictures of their breeders

I am looking for some advice. This spring/summer I hatched out a few chicks from my hens and a cockerel I kept. I think my hens are pretty nice looking and so was the cockerel but I was surprised by the offspring. Out of the three pullets one has a nice color and clear breast and beard and the other two have a lot of color issues. One has dark flecks in her beard and the other has a salmon colored breast. The hens do not have these color issues.

I sold the cockerel this summer and have three that are growing out. When I pick my next cockerel what should I look for? Lighter beards? Less black? Any thoughts? I can provide pictures if wanted. Clearly I am new at this.

Last edited:
If you are serious about breeding nice quality Faverolles yourself, I would recommend finding an actual breeder to get them from as opposed to a hatchery. Hatchery stock is cool for just backyard egg layers and meat birds, but not necessarily for quality babies. Another possibility is maybe getting a 4H rooster once the project is completed. Best of luck breeding!
I'm thinking about maybe breeding my Faverolles rooster with my hens, but they are hatchery chickens so I wouldn't have them for showing or breed standards.

If you are serious about breeding nice quality Faverolles yourself, I would recommend finding an actual breeder to get them from as opposed to a hatchery. Hatchery stock is cool for just backyard egg layers and meat birds, but not necessarily for quality babies. Another possibility is maybe getting a 4H rooster once the project is completed. Best of luck breeding!
I'm thinking about maybe breeding my Faverolles rooster with my hens, but they are hatchery chickens so I wouldn't have them for showing or breed standards.

Thanks! I did start with good stock and not hatchery. I think breeding is a bit of an art form and I just don't have it mastered yet.

I think it is too, especially when trying to breed for specific traits.
I only have 1 rooster and he's a Faverolles, but I have 5 pullets (1 each faverolles, sussex, welsummer, easter egger, buff orpington) and although we don't plan on breeding, if we have a hen go broody, we'll probably let her hatch some eggs. They will all be mutts except the 2 Faverolles together, but the rest might be pretty cool looking.

Back
Top Bottom