Favorite vegetable varities

Mayo's delight tomato, black cherry tomato, strawberries..... the delicious kind! Spring feast lettuce, and scarlet emperor bean. I have a watermelon I hope produces well this year, I've never heard of the variety, but I got it from SSE Heritage farms( seed savers exchange) the variety was being dropped out. It's called What Not watermelon, it's said to be a OP multiple color watermelon.

Brandywine Tomato~heirloom, beefsteak type, indeterminate, best flavor and huge fruit, grows easily and tall.
Jetstar Tomato~ Slicer, indeterminate, HUGE yields of uniform fruit, mild and sweet flavor.
Rouge Vif D'Etampes pumpkin~heirloom, pie pumpkin, good keeper, easy to grow, good flavor, beautiful to look upon.
Half runner beans~green beans, tender, easy to grow, heirloom, huge yields early and late...my old Ma says they taste better than other varieties, so she has been planting them for over 40 yrs now.
Candy onions~sweet, juicy, big, grows in any zone, stores well.
Sweet One Million cherry tomatoes~ very sweet, produces huge amounts and clear up past first frost of fall.
Ambrosia sweet corn~big ears with small, tender kernels of super sweet flavor. Reliable and good producer.
Red Pontiac and Kennebec potatoes~good producers, good flavor, good keepers though the Kennebec keeps better than the Pontiac.
Boston Pickler cukes~heavy producer, healthy, small enough for single serving meals but large enough to fool with, great flavor. Heirloom variety, reliable grower.
Hungarian Wax hot peppers~good producer, good flavor, good health, fall in the 5k-15k range on the Scoville scale.
Yellow Str. Neck squash~sweet, huge production, easy to grow and grows well clear up into fall.
Sugar snap peas~good flavor, great for eating raw, loves cool weather.
Romaine lettuce~ Good flavor, cold hardy, big heads, try to get the "slow to bolt" varieties... Cimmaron~heirloom, Winter Density, Parris Island
Buttercrunch(butterhead) lettuce~Slow to Bolt, sweet flavor, heat and cold tolerant.
Spinach~Giant Noble...sweet, good producer, cold tolerant

Flat leaf parsley. Excellent flavor, dries well, will survive the winter to give you an early crop of parsley followed by going to seed for a never ending supply from year to year.

Bright Lights swiss chard. Must have simply for the beauty of it. Tasty in stir fry or soups also. Hope to try canning some this year.

French Breakfast radish. I use them as row markers. They grow nice and long, very mild flavor. I slice them and slather them with peanut butter for little crunchy treats.

Usually available from bulk bins in my area, can't be beat for economy: Lettuce: Black Seeded Simpson, Butter Crunch, Oak Leaf. Any zucchini as they are all pretty much the same IMO. Danvers 1/2 Long and Nantes carrots. Nasturtium. Autumn blend sunflowers: provides nice variety. Want to try: Golden Bantam sweet corn. Supposed to be a tasty OP yellow heirloom.

Any short dahlias. Love to start them from seed. MUST have lots of marigolds in the garden. And nasturtium.

Egyptian walking onion. Want to find a source of them and get them planted throughout the orchard, along with other beneficial insect attractors/pest deterrents. (garlic, lemon balm, echinacea, bee balm, daffodils) Any other suggestions appreciated.

Red broom milo or sorghum. Grows 9' tall. Yes, I said nine feet! Great green manure crop and the chickens love the grain.

Last edited:
Flat leaf parsley.  Excellent flavor, dries well, will survive the winter to give you an early crop of parsley followed by going to seed for a never ending supply from year to year.  

Bright Lights swiss chard.  Must have simply for the beauty of it.  Tasty in stir fry or soups also.  Hope to try canning some this year.

French Breakfast radish.  I use them as row markers.  They grow nice and long, very mild flavor.  I slice them and slather them with peanut butter for little crunchy treats.

Usually available from bulk bins in my area, can't be beat for economy:   Lettuce:  Black Seeded Simpson, Butter Crunch, Oak  Leaf.  Any zucchini as they are all pretty much the same IMO.  Danvers 1/2 Long and Nantes carrots.  Nasturtium.  Autumn blend sunflowers:  provides nice variety.  Want to try:  Golden Bantam sweet corn.  Supposed to be a tasty OP yellow heirloom.  

Any short dahlias.  Love to start them from seed.  MUST have lots of marigolds in the garden.  And nasturtium.  

Egyptian walking onion.  Want to find a source of them and get them planted throughout the orchard, along with other beneficial insect attractors/pest deterrents.  (garlic, lemon balm, echinacea, bee balm, daffodils)  Any other suggestions appreciated.  

Red broom milo or sorghum.  Grows 9' tall.  Yes, I said nine feet!  Great green manure crop and the chickens love the grain.  
I want to get Egyptian walking onions too! There are some basils that where planted years ago, now it regrows itself every year!

. My sweet potatoes failed, they didn't vine, barely grew, became discolored and only two plants produced sweet potatoes which were small.
How long were your sweet potatoes in the garden? I think they require something like 4 months to grow.
I started mine in a tunnel in april and they are growing a lot now!
Only a couple months, took most of them out since they were looking so bad. Could send a pic of the leaf I flower pressed one
In past years we have had no problems growing three varieties in raised beds digging huge tubers.. Favorites are Georgia Jett, Jubilee and Beauregard. We plant the slips around May 15 and dig before the first frost in October. The 2015 year we had lovely vines but no tubers...nothing! We think the rains and gophers were the reasons. Will try again this year. Planning on double digging the beds and smoking the gopher holes. Also have a new patch in the huge garden we will section off for sweet potatoes.

Brandywine Tomato~heirloom, beefsteak type, indeterminate, best flavor and huge fruit, grows easily and tall.
Jetstar Tomato~ Slicer, indeterminate, HUGE yields of uniform fruit, mild and sweet flavor.
Rouge Vif D'Etampes pumpkin~heirloom, pie pumpkin, good keeper, easy to grow, good flavor, beautiful to look upon.
Half runner beans~green beans, tender, easy to grow, heirloom, huge yields early and late...my old Ma says they taste better than other varieties, so she has been planting them for over 40 yrs now.
Candy onions~sweet, juicy, big, grows in any zone, stores well.
Sweet One Million cherry tomatoes~ very sweet, produces huge amounts and clear up past first frost of fall.
Ambrosia sweet corn~big ears with small, tender kernels of super sweet flavor. Reliable and good producer.
Red Pontiac and Kennebec potatoes~good producers, good flavor, good keepers though the Kennebec keeps better than the Pontiac.
Boston Pickler cukes~heavy producer, healthy, small enough for single serving meals but large enough to fool with, great flavor. Heirloom variety, reliable grower.
Hungarian Wax hot peppers~good producer, good flavor, good health, fall in the 5k-15k range on the Scoville scale.
Yellow Str. Neck squash~sweet, huge production, easy to grow and grows well clear up into fall.
Sugar snap peas~good flavor, great for eating raw, loves cool weather.
Romaine lettuce~ Good flavor, cold hardy, big heads, try to get the "slow to bolt" varieties... Cimmaron~heirloom, Winter Density, Parris Island
Buttercrunch(butterhead) lettuce~Slow to Bolt, sweet flavor, heat and cold tolerant.
Spinach~Giant Noble...sweet, good producer, cold tolerant
Love your list Beekissed...I grow most of these same varieties as well as many more. Tomatoes (Rutgers, Cherokee Purple, Heintz and Celebrity) Cucumber (Straight 8, Marketmore) Squash ( Black zuchini, White Patty Pan, Hubbard) Peppers (Ancho, Pablamo, Big Bertha sweet, Tam jalepeno, Sweet Yellow Banana, Habenaro) Lettuce ( Black Seeded Simpson, Red Sails), Spinach ( Bloomsdale, Tetons, New Zealand) Cabbage ( Early Flat Dutch) Brocolli (Packman we get loads of side shoots too) Cauliflour (Snow King)

Quote: Pm me your addresses....I may have enough sets to share to get you started.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom